THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: varmit rifle which cal????

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: varmit rifle which cal????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Good thread folks...
What about barrel life? I have heard that a .223 or similar cartridge can be shot many many more times through its bore than can a 22-250 or 220 swift. Any truth to this? If so, which calibers eat the barrels quickest and which ones give long barrel life?

I am contemplating my first small caliber varmint rig. Right now the smallest thing I have is a .243.....

Thanks,
Mike

Posts: 167 | Location: Rockwall (Dallas), TX | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well if the 22-250AI is a swift,..then what will you need to fireform to match up to the 220swift AI? My next tube will be the swift improved with an 8 or 9 twist

The 22-250 is and will always be the "little brother" to the swift. If you want the top flight factory round,..the swift is it.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hello i own a nice collection of guns but i'm lacking a varmit gun i will prob end up with 2 or 3 but for now only one.My question is what caliber i don't mind wildcat's as i like being a little different.I don't want a single shot.I was thinking of the 220 swift but not set on any certain cal.It would be nice to find a left hand gun being left eye dominent but i can shoot the righties i've been doing all my life.So there it is all recomendations are welcome and thank you

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What varmint are you hunting and what is the range/distance you intend to shoot?

Posts: 149 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As said above, give us some more info on your intended use.

Groundhogs or coyotes?

100 yards or 500 yards?

Lightweight sporter (walking around type hunting) or heavyweight (prone/bench type shooting)?

Hunting smaller farms where noise may be a factor, or remote spots?

However, even without any of the above info, I'd say look towards the 223 Rem or the 22-250 if you want a little more range. Both can be had in superbly accurate rifles, are easy to load for or find factory ammo, etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Without any additional info, go for the 22-250. Its kinda like the 30-06, when in doubt, reach for it. And it is very easy to load for, giving excellent accuracy with a wide variety of powders and bullets.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to leavc out info it game will be woodchucks up to fox and coyote the range from 75-300 yrds. It's more to fill in the gap of not having a varmit gun i own 22hp,250-3000 but don't count them for this purpose

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
A heavy bbl. .243 would be my choice. The .22s are nice, especially out to 300yds but the .243 will give you an edge on bigger varm. like yotes, when you are pushing 300yds+. I decided on a .260AI just because, but a .243 would have been my 2nd choice.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington 700VLS in .243 Winchester, and it shoots just flat-out great!
22-250's are nice, but the .243 has a little more range, it's easy to load for, lots of brass & bullets, and very mild recoil.
Besides, everybody out there seems to have a .223 or .22-250!
Regards, George.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As you said, you are not afraid of wildcats.
If your want to be a little bit daring and don't want a plain 223, you could go with 222 Rem Mag.
204 Ruger brass can be easily necked up and it gives better performance than the 223.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
TBEAR99---I have a .243 and it doesn't fit my idea of a varmint rifle. There wouldnt be that HUGE of a difference between it and the 250-3000 you already have. Reason it doesn't suit my purposes of a varmint gun is that sometimes shooting around a 100 jackrabbits in a night from inside a pickup---too much blast and recoil after awhile. Both my .222's seem to shoot with whatever load and either cast or jacketed bullets--same with my 22-250. My .223 is great with jacketed bullets but I have not found a cast load it shoots. I do use cast for the jackrabbit shooting. The .222 is very pleasant to shoot and with the guns you already have,it would be my pick.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to the 220 swift. My rig shoots better than I can and why not be different Everone goes for the 22-250,...be a rebel and go all the way to 220!!! You can always load down but you can't load up

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Without any additional info, go for the 22-250. Its kinda like the 30-06, when in doubt, reach for it. And it is very easy to load for, giving excellent accuracy with a wide variety of powders and bullets.

While there is nothing wrong with a 22-250, I would opt for a good quality bolt action in .223 Remington. I shot a Savage 110GV for years that was very accurate and with 50 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips at 3300 fps was very effective on ground squirrels and even rock chucks out to 300 yards. I used the 40 gr Ballistic Tips at 3600 fps on close range ground squirrels, in case you are a fan of "flying squirrels". It could really flip them.
IMO, there are three good reasons to choose the .223 over the .22-250 or .220 Swift (or 6mm, for that matter):
1. Less recoil allows you to "spot" your own shots. Even a heavy barrel 22-250 will jump just enough so you can't see the bullet impact on your target. With my medium barrel Savage, I was able to see the bullets strike, even with my 15x Weaver KT-15 scope.
2. The barrels last longer. Sure the others offer higher velocity and ultimate longer range capability, but shoving loads containing 50% more powder down the same diameter tube will erode the barrel faster.
3. Cheaper available factory ammo, and I am not talking about just the 55 gr FMJ stuff. Small custom loaders offer lots of good quality ammo with very good accurate bullets in the .223 for reasonable prices (since the brass is so cheap, I guess). And of course the .223 is cheaper to load, using 50% less powder 90% or more of the velocity, at least with lighter bullets.
Well, I guess that's my take on it anyway. If you are a maximum performance guy or a money is no object kind of guy, then go for a .220 swift, .22-250 or 22-250 AI, or my choice for a price is no object varminter, a .22 BR. But if value and economy is in the equation, go for a good .223 first. If it isn't enough, you can always add a bigger .22 or 6mm later.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quite a few good points made after we found out more about the shooter's needs. And I have absolutely nothing against the .223/.222 battery as I own some of both. BUT, the fact remains, a 22-250 can be loaded down to a .223. A .223 can't be loaded up to a 22-250. If I could only have one, it would be the 22-250. And barrels are like women, they'll be true to you a good long while if you don't abuse them.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
Another vote cast for .22-250 here. I have a M70 HV that is boringly consistent in the accuracy department and I plan on building a "predator sporter" in the near future chambered as such. It is a violent and versitile little round that can be loaded down to .223 levels as others have stated or be loaded to the teeth and encroach on 220 Swift velocities. I prefer heavier bullets and keeping velocities at a sane level, extending barrel life and helping downrange performance.

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Tbear99:
Don't hesitate to buy a 220 Swift! I have been shooting one since 1973, a Ruger 77R. I shot it for over 20 years, and had it rebarreled by Ruger in 1996. When I got it back it shoots better than the original. For a 22 you can't BEAT the Swift.

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry,
I guess I should have kept my mouth shut since i've never owned a Swift, just read some on the subject and several sources state that a case trimmer and neck turner will come in handy if you lean on it. That applies to most not just the Swift. Didn't mean to ruffle anyones feathers with that comment.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Ditto the high-velocity/fast-twist 22, whether 22-250, Swift or an Ackley on either. You can shoot anything from 40 gr pills to 70 grain long range jobbies and with the new Barnes 70 gr TSX, you have a damn fine deer rifle too.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just run into a bit of luck and i got a.270WSM and i love it could prolly make a great long range yote rifle out to bout 500yrds but if u want smaller go with that new .204 ruger with v-max 35 grain pills really give those varmits a death wish.

Posts: 325 | Location: Cordele, GA | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the new 223 WSSM round if you like the 220 Swift bullet velocity and energy .Also the new 204 Ruger round is as fast as the Swift,but the 32 and 40 Gr.bullets has less energy than the 50 and 55 Gr. bullets used in the Swift and WSSM.

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yeah he got it with the .223WSSM but if that is too light which it isnt but some ppl go over board with rifle power get a .243WSSM i love my .270WSM.

Posts: 325 | Location: Cordele, GA | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Stepchild2:
No feathers ruffled here, I didn't take your comment negatively.

I find it an odd thing, that so many writers, people, talk about all the case prep that is required when loading a 220 Swift. I almost went for the 22-250 way back when, because of those comments. I have found however, that all that case stretch/neck thickening stuff is blarney, and the Swift is not any more prone to case problems than any other high intensity cartridge.

I will admit though, that when I bought the Swift, I also bought all the equipment I thought would be necessary to deal with the cases. I just never needed it.

I am also not one who likes to keep his loads"MILD", so if the cases, in any caliber, are going to stretch etc. they are going to do it to me.

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Carpetman. Maybe I need to check out cast bullets, just for grins...

Posts: 167 | Location: Rockwall (Dallas), TX | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trouble--send me an EMAIl(my address in my profile) with your snail mail addy and I'll send you some cast to try out. Let me know what reloading manuals you have--most don't have cast data--Lyman does.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer. Email is sent.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Carpetman,

What powder are you using in your 243. I shoot cast in mine but as yet have not "sizzled" beyond 2495 using 34 grains of H4350.

John

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JayB---I use IMR 4227 in my .243 with the 95 grain gas checked RCBS bullet. Something I found very interesting about that load. My Lyman Manual-44th Edition printed in 1967 lists a starting load of 13.0 grains and a max of 18.0 grains. My Third Edition Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook--first printed 1980 and latest printing Nov 1999--lists same bullet and powder as starting 19.3 grains and max of 24.5. Thats right the new starting is 1.3 grains higher than the old max. I worked from the old all the way up in 1/2 grain increments. Results were ok all along. Then when I reached 23.5 it was magic. Above 23.5 things went to poo poo. This chronied out at a much higher velocity than Lyman listed. The guy said his chronie was accurate and giving expected readings. I shot some other loads over it and got about what I expected.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Onefunz, you could have sold your "varmit special" truck to someone from WV and none of the locals would have noticed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well thanx for everbody's post i'm definatly getting the info i asked.onefunzr2 i will have too look into .223Remington Ackley Improved and can anyone tell me what the tactical 20 cartridge is as i haven't heard of it before thanx

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always been a big fan of the .22-250. It'll reach out there quite a ways. I've nailed woodchuck at 325yds. with it. In most rifles the .22-250 is very accurate, and will shoot most bullet/powder combinations quite well. There's little recoil to speak of and the bullet drop is minimal for a .22 centerfire. Just one persons opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post
The link below is a 3 page article about the original Tactical Twenty. Enjoy.

http://www.smallcaliber.com/html/tactical20.html

If you are into ballistic programs and tables, check out the performance of the Hornady .204 caliber 40 grain VMAX bullet (ballistic coefficient = .275). There are not very many "varmint" bullets that will beat it for windage and drop out to 500 yards. Even the Hornady .204 caliber 32 grain VMAX gives respectable performance at a BC of .210.

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanx for the info rarebear i like to try and keep up with the different cartridges some what.The 204 ruger sounds very nice it's definatly a consideration