New
Find
Notify
Tools

bullets for .257
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have seen data for bullets up to 125 gr. but all I have been able to find is 120s. Does anyone know where I can find the 125s? Any reason why there aren't heaver offerings in .257?

Posts: 49 | Location: Jeanerette, LA | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
It must be the rifling twist? The 6.5's are only .007" bigger and shoot up to 160 grs.

The .257's are only for light game at best anyway so just reach for a bigger caliber.

You can look in the wildcat books and find a QT .25 I am sure.

Where I hunt game does not come in .25" size.

<dave3220>
posted
Some .257's are slower than 1:10, but the M-70 1:10" and my re-barreled 1:9" will shoot the Swift bonded core, or Nosler 120's fine.
This is not "just a small/med. game cal."
If you have the right twist for the heaviest premium bullets available, can "hold hard", and are willing to hunt-to get close enough to place your shot well, there is no reason you can't take large deer, black bear, mountain sheep, moose or elk with your .257.
You will just have to pass up "iffy" shots(like you should do anyway.)
4350 should work well for you with the 100's or 120 gr. bullets.

Dave .32-20

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 125gr bullets you have seen mentioned were Barnes Original bullets. I do not know if Barnes still makes them. You could call them. I know they still make SOME originals.

quote:
Originally posted by BS:
I have seen data for bullets up to 125 gr. but all I have been able to find is 120s. Does anyone know where I can find the 125s? Any reason why there aren't heaver offerings in .257?

Posts: 134 | Location: Kirkland, Illinois | Registered: 09 February 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
The 115 Nosler Partition is bullet enough for game up to elk size with the .257 or .25/'06, BUT, keep ranges reasonable, not over 200 yards max for elk!!