New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage FVSS or FV
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am about to order a new savage 22-250 and thought I would ask a few quick questions. Which one to get, the FVSS or the FV. Best I can tell, the only difference is one has a ss fluted barrel and the other is blued.

Are factory guns that accurate or would I be better off building my own off Savage action?

one of us
posted Hide Post
No opinions...?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Justin, there are as many different opinions on blued vs stainless barrels, I have both on several guns and like both. If this is a gun you plan on keeping for a while look at the stainless otherwise save some money and go blued. As far as a factory rifle being accurate, yes they can be, the Savage is a good choice.

I believe in life, liberty, and pursuit of the S.O.B.'s that threaten them.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage has always made pretty acurate rifles, but in the last few years they've really become world beaters. I think they are well ahead of Remington now, and this is being said by a Remington man. That new Savage trigger was the icing on the cake. If Savage ever comes out with a really decent looking wood stock they should be able to corner the market. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 22-250 mine is a BVSS, heavy stainless, with a lamintated stock. I highly reccomend the lamitated stock, because I dont like Savage's Synthetic Stock. Go for the gusto! Mine shoots GREAT! best is a .194 5 shot group at 100, but I am always trying to beat that one!

Posts: 157 | Location: SW Virginia | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote is for the BVSS, too. You will like it better than than the fiber stock.

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those bvss are so darn heavy, I plan to use this for some coyote action. My best bet may be restocking the fvss.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 12fvss in 270 WSM for a short while. The plastic stock had a memory in the forend to one side that would not leave. The rifle was very (too) heavy and there is glare from the non bead blasted SS finish.

If one wants a heavy rifle and can get one with the lamintated stock then they look pretty good.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote