Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes XLC .224 45 gr.????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted
I just picked up a box of these bullets and had to look at a lot of stores to find one. It looks like it would be a good choice for a antelope and deer build up either with a 22-250 or a .223 with it's solid copper construction. I wasn't excited about the coating on the bullet and they say it isn't molybdenum although it is a convient way to mark those loads. Anyone with experience in the field with this bullet? It would be great to hear about recovered bullets, if any, recovery distance, internal damage etc. Thanks!!!

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only shot coyotes with the 45gr XLC, it's my favorite bullet for my Hornet. It penetrates as you would expect a Barnes X to do. When I load it in my 222mag, coyotes sound like a half-filled water bucket. Lot's of internal damage and usually a complete pass through.

Within a reasonable range and shot angle, these should work very well for antelope and deer.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ive used the 50grn vlc in .223 and had trouble getting them to shoot. I send barnes an email and they replied that they use benchmark to test all their bullets with. I bought some Benchmark and shoot groups under .250@100 yds.

Posts: 161 | Location: hoosierville | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote