New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need 17 rem loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i have a 14" tc contender barrel in 17 rem and i need loads for it.... I will be using 25gr hornady hollow points ( i have 800 of them...) What velocity can i expect out of this barrel? thanks in advance

Posts: 1362 | Location: Madison ,NH, usa | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ravenwolf
posted Hide Post
I have a E.A. Brown 15" Barrel for my T/C Contender in .17 Rem. My favorite load (and one I got from Layne Simpson of Shooting Times) is 24.5 grains of IMR 4320 in a Remington case and sparked with a CCI BR-4 primer. I've used this load with both Hornady's 25 grainer and Berger's 25 grain moly coated MEF (maximum expansion). The Berger was the most accurate at .45" - .57" consistently @ 100 yards and chronographed at 3,495 fps @ 65 degrees. OAL is 2.175", case length 1.800". The Hornady gave me only 3/4 - 1 1/4" groups in this barrel. I've used both on woodchucks and both have worked great at 300+ yards. Wind drift is comparable to a 223 Rem. Good Luck...RW

Posts: 82 | Location: Bloomfield, NY, USA | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
<jdllyons>
posted
I just picked up my first 17 -- a NIB Remington 700 Classic and was asking those same questions last week at this time.

Try www.coyotegods.com/ubb/forum.shtml and use their search function. You will be reading for hours.

I am starting with 22.0 gr. Varget with Berger's 25 gr. NMEF (moly) lit by a Rem. 7-1/2 primer.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by jdllyons (edited 03-12-2002).]