Find
Notify
Tools

22 Hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted
What action would you use to build a 22 Hornet.
I want to build a light walk around rifle.
Please no Ruger sugestions, the 10-22 is the only rifle that Ruger makes that I will buy.
Dr B

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy a CZ 527.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What PJ said.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could always buy a Hornet barrel for your Contender carbine...very light.

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
I have considered the 527, but I just don't like the magazine hanging there below the stock. Also I'm not sure stocks would be easy to find.
Does Sako make a small action that would work?
Dr B

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sako built a few of its P72 and more of its P78 rifles in Hornet. The two models were virtually identical. It was primarily a rimfire action on which they also produced .22 LR, but had twin opposed locking lugs that made it strong enogh for the Hornet. Four shot single-stack flush magazine. They're hard to find, but you ocassionally run across one on the auction websites.

Sako also produced their L46 model in Hornet and Bee, but they're really rare, and they're also so old now that it is exceedingly difficult to find one in good shape.

You could build a Hornet on a more modern Sako L461, S469, or M75-I, but all will have to have bolt face modifications, and I'm not sure how you make the magazine work. If I wanted approximate Hornet performance using a Sako action, I'd chamber for .221 Rem Fireball which would use the bolt face and magazine without modification.

If you're interested in more on the Hornet P78, drop me a PM.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am an Anschuts fan, I think they are a well built rifle.Then there is always Kimber and Cooper.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Browning Micro, shooting 35gr Hornady factory loads. Better yet, unscrew the barrel and make it a 17 Ackley Hornet. Mine is sweet

one of us
posted Hide Post
Look into the Kimber of Oregon Model 82. You can find them factory chambered in 22 Hornet, 22 K Hornet (very few made) and 17 K Hornet.

I have one factory chambered in 22 K Hornet. It is a perfect combination, good trigger, very nice wood and accurate.

I also have a Model 82 action and single shot stock that I am getting ready to build into something but haven't decided what yet. These came from the factory in 218 Bee and 218 Mashburn Bee but are very rare.

Posts: 251 | Location: Newport, WA | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote