New
Find
Notify
Tools

Max load in a 223 Remington?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What would you all say to a 223 Remington 24" barrel running a 40 grain bullet at 3800 fps. Over the top or not?

<Fergus Bailey>
posted
I�d say � its getting there. Any idea what pressures that load is generating? A friend of mine has a very nice shooting .223 which is giving him excellent groups with 40gn Nosler Ballistic Tips at 3900 fps from a 24� barrel. He typically finds that each firing he bins 5 or so cases as the primers fall out. Not what I would do, but he is happy.

Fergus

------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/ab/fergus

<Don G>
posted
Gerard,

Not if it's one of your slick little beasties! I think I could get to 4000 fps with no pressure signs using those. I will try some day.

I loaded up a load development string of your 380 grain .416 FN solids using IMR4895. I am impressed by these bullets. I hope to fire them this weekend. Will post results on Big Bore.

Don

<jim saubier>
posted
I think that the book values at max loads show 3800 fps. I hesitate to print this, but I achieved 3500 fps out of a 15" barrel with 40 grain v-maxes and ballistic tips. This was using Vihtavouri n130 at max book charges. I don't agree with that book anymore as pressure signs showed. I pierced a primer, ended up pulling a few bullets too.

------------------
jim

<PowderBurns>
posted
Probably telling you something you know . . .

Increases in load build pressure a lot faster than they build velocity. Bulkier powders create more velocity at lower pressure, but bulky powder won't fit in the .223 brass.

Primers falling out is a "pressure indicator" . . .

Max. efficiency in barrel length for the .223 is about 24". Not much is gained from a longer bbl. than that except barrel whip.

------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loading Forum:

www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=powderburns

one of us
posted Hide Post
<<He typically finds that each firing he bins 5 or so cases as the primers fall out. Not what I would do, but he is happy.>>

Makes he wonder how much web and rim expansion he's getting. I'd suggest just a little too far over the top-- hope he understands that.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<PowderBurns>
posted
And . . .

The heavier bullets provide the flatter trajectory. Heavy bullets retain velocity longer. So at the longer ranges the heavier bullet is more efficient, a better wind bucker and more stopping power once it gets there.

Military and police use a 69 gr. bullet for anti-personnel. "Speed kills" -- but not like a heavier bullet.

------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loading Forum:

www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=powderburns

one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys are nuts that what they make 22 250's and 220 swifts for. Why stress your guns. Buy one that is made for it.

Posts: 19358 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Powderburns,
Should we not say a longer bullet retains more velocity, bucks wind better and so forth as these qualities are all a result of better BC not weight? The reason why I raise this point is this. If a 40 grain bullet that is the length of a "normal" 50 grain bullet is used, we have the twofold advantage of the higher BC coupled to the velocity of the 40 grain bullet. This translates into better performance than can be had from a normal jacketed lead 40 or 50 grain bullet.

Fergus,
The load generated 385 Megapascal and the CIP maximum for a 223 Rem is 420 Mpa.
------------------
Gerard Schultz
GS Custom Bullets

[This message has been edited by Gerard (edited 05-06-2001).]