New
Find
Notify
Tools

223...light bullets only....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Posted this in the reloading section, but maybe this is the proper forum for my question.

I'm thinking of getting a barrel for my 223 for shooting only lighter bullets, say 53 grains and less, mostly will be for 50 and less. A recent discussion on another board suggested a 14 twist would be the desired twist for match bullets in the 52-53 grain range. I'm wanting to shoot 40 to 53 grain only as I already have a 9 twist barrel for anything heavier I might want to shoot. I've got a 22-250 with a 14 twist that likes nothing heavier than a 52, so why would a smaller cartridge prefer a slower twist like the 14? Seems the 12 twist would add just a bit of a safety margin in the event the twist might be a bug-a-boo with the slower velocities of the 223. Which would you choose and why? Thanks for your input.

**STAY ALERT! The world is running out of lerts; we can't afford to lose anymore!**

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Well with a one in 12 or one in 14 twist at 223 velocities.. there isn't ANY bullet that you can get enough velocity to vaporized....

SPSXs and Sierra Blitzs can be vaporized at 223 velocities with a one in 9 twist.. but not a one in 12 or 14...

So you have a wide open world in front of you as far as bullet weights go...

myself, I am fond of 50 grain TNTs and 40 grain Sierra Hollow Points...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not too worried about bullets flying apart, rather I'm wondering where the line of stability will be. If the 14 twist, according to the other discussion on BRC, has a history of being able to spin a 52-53 grain bullet at 222 velocities very accurately, and I'm wanting to boost those velocities just a bit with the 223, then it stands to reason that the 14 should be OK for the weight range I'm looking at. I'm also guessing the 52-53 grain match bullets they are referring to are flat base rather than a boat tail like the Sierra MK 52 grain. I've got a slew of them on hand and would hate to find they don't stabilize in the 14 and should have gone to a 12.
I've also got a bunch of 40-45 grain bullets, like what you'd fire out of the Hornet, and I think many Hornets had a 16 twist for these short, light bullets.
Maybe these details explain better why I'm torn on the twist issue and looking for the experience of others.

**STAY ALERT! The world is running out of lerts; we can't afford to lose anymore!**

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If in doubt, go with the slightly faster twist. But you are worrying about something you can't control. The barrel you get may or may not shoot the bullets you want to shoot accurately or as well as it shoots other bullets. You will just have to try.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using the .223 (for hunting small critters anyways) since '68. First rifle for it i had was a Savage .24 that I rechambered the .222 barrel to .224. It has (I still have it) a 14' twist. I then got a M700V with 12" twist and when Remington came out with the M788 in .222 I rechambered several of them to .223. I consider the 14" twist to be ideal for the cartridge when bullets of 55 gr or under are used. I used thousands of 55 SX and Hornady's 45 gr Hornet bullets over the years to dispatch many a rock chuck, coyote, squirrels, crows and other sundry vermin. The 9" twist are way to fast as most negate the use of the light weight SX, Blitz and Hornet bullets. These are evey bit as effective and accurate as the poly tipped bullets today. The older bullets cost about half as much also.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, gents, for your observations and experiences. The Hornet bullets I have are 224 diameter, so no problem there. Some are the high velocity, some are intended for Hornet velocities and I plan to use those with Seafire's Blue Dot loads. I've taken stock of the bullets on hand, and while I have a goodly amount of the Sierra #1410 52 gr. SMK's, I have even more of other bullets that are flat base and less than 55 grains, so as of right now, I'm leaning toward the 14 twist. The process continues...... Wink

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I know folks that shoot alot of 50 gr V-max out of 1-8 twist barrels, so can't see anything to worry about between 1-12 or 1-14. Personally I'd rather have a bit more stability than a bit less and would lean towards the 1-12.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote