THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .17 Rem - Who Makes Them Now?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.17 Rem - Who Makes Them Now?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
w

Whilst accepting that this is now a marginal calibre, certainly in Australia the 204Ruger is selling like absolute wildfire, I still like the .17 Rem.

I have an ageing Rem 700 BDL .17Rem, but am finding it very, very difficult to find a rifle manufacturer that one, makes new rifles in this calibre, and two, has a distributor in Australia.

Cannot justify cost of custom rifle.

If cannot source new one,will simply follow the mass migration to 204Ruger.

Any suggestions as to manufacturers who still make rifles in this calibre?

Posts: 43 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 13 November 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Remington is now coming out with their 17 fireball, and considering it is almost as fast s the 17 rem, but burns considerably less powder and fouls less, I'd go that route.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Can't you just get the old Remington rebarreled?? to either the 17 Rem, the 17 Fireball or the 204 Ruger??

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At this stage I could have the rifle rebarelled as suggested.

Not too sure how long Rem Fireball will be around for.

Given huge popularity of and migration to 204Ruger in Australia, may simply have it rebarelled in 204Ruger.

This calibre will is flavour of the month in this country and will do all that Rem17 will do and a bit more as it can push heavier bullets.

Still,even Remington seem short on the ground with new rifles which may/may not be made by them to suit this calibre which even bears their name?

Posts: 43 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 13 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ's available in Australia? 527's are chambered in .17 Rem, or were.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
Tobler Barrels
MAB Barrels
Can do .17 Remington
It would be a more cost effective option to re-barrel rather than buy new dies cases etc.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote