THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    220 swift in rem 700 Sendero?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

220 swift in rem 700 Sendero?
 Login/Join

<Hoghead>
posted
I just bought one. Does anyone have any input for me??? It is the factory ported and fluted barrel. 26in. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoghead:
I just bought one. Does anyone have any input for me??? It is the factory ported and fluted barrel. 26in. Thanks.

If you don't already know the gun,if it is like most others I have seen, is sensitive to action bolt torque and will vary wildly if the action bolts aren't tightened evenly to 55 to 65 INCH lbs..or with the allen hex head bolts use a standard length allen wrench held by the short end and tighted tight with two fingers and thumb....this worked for mine before a INCH lb torque wrench....as to loads 4064 and a good 55 grain bullet I use Hornady VMax and other 52/3 bullets and start at the 35.o grain and work up.....Norma brass is great but thin walled in the neck....my new Winchester brass was much thicker...012 vs .014-.017 and had to be NECK TURNED to fit a tight FACTORY chamber....trim to trim length and keep a eye on the streching....some guns in swift strech the cases faster than other chamberings....enjoy....good luck and good shooting!!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I Bought the same rifle 3 years ago and it still is the best shooting out of the box rifle I own. It is very fond of 40gr balistic tips and 41gr of RL 15 at 4050 fps it will shoot very close to .5" groups very consistently. I think you will be happy.

Posts: 95 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 23 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the Swift. We have a pair of them, one each for the twins! They took their first plains game with them. We use a 40 gr HV bullet at 4400 fps and shoot up to 250 lb antelope out to 400 meters without any hassles. You will enjoy it, I am sure.

------------------
Gerard Schultz
GS Custom Bullets

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I had a 220 swift I loved it. My Dad still has one . I can get you the load that we used if you would like????

Posts: 70 | Location: Lyndon Vt. USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I've had two Varmint Synthetics,in Swift. Quite a few others,in various other types.

The aluminum bedding block stocks,require bedding,to function at their best. Screw torque is fun to talk about,but doesn't cure a bedding problem. I've had 10 HS stocks as a minimum,on Remington rifles. ALL responded to bedding.

It doesn't take much,to align the action properly and to mate the surfaces. In fact,you can leave the tang,as is. Rough up the aluminum,enough to make sure bedding material will adhere and skim bed it.

If you have an HS stocked rifle,that you think shoots well now,bed it and then chime back in. It is well worth the minimal effort.

I heartily second the Re-15 recommemdation. All of my Swifts doted on it..............

<frogman>
posted
Hoghead

A swift ,you are spoiled for life.

They are one of the best I think.Had good luck with the above powder's.Varget in the warm areas.Bullets ? don't use the cheap kind
Barnes,Balistic tip,Vmax.

------------------
frogman

<Hoghead>
posted
Thanks for the replys fellows. And yes I would like to know what your favorite loads are.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the inquiry. I have been shooting the swift for many years. I'm sure people have told you what they think are the bad things about the swift, like it is too fast (burns up barrels), not as accurate as the 22-250, or has poor case life. Those are only rumors. The swift is, without question, the best factory cartige of its kind. That is, only if you do it right.

All guns are different. Mine has an abnormaly long distance from the front of the bolt to the rifelings. My OAL is 2.76. Most swifts should be at about 2.67 to 2.7. To get the most out of your gun you should, set the bullet depth so that the bullet is as close as possible to the rifelings, but not touching them. Some guns such as mine that require a large OAL cannot shoot anything lighter than a 52 gr. bullet, because the bullet is not long enough to press into the case far enough to be safe, yet still be close to the rifelings, so I only shoot 55 gr. bullets. When examining the ballistics for the swift shooting a max load with any grain bullet the 55 gr. has the best combination of energy, trajectory, and velocity. So it is almost pointless to shoot any other grain bullet anyway. Any bullet lighter than 55 gr. starts getting too fast and is harder on the barrel.

First off before you even shoot your gun. There is a lubricant/cleaner, that I highly recomend treating your barrel with. It is called TETRA GUN oil. It is the best stuff I have found. It is rare however and if you cannot find it in a store tell me and I will give you a representative's number to call. That lubricant will improve your velocity and accuracy slightly but will decrease where on your barrel by about 40%. It is amazing, after taking four shots in a row with it, the barrel temp was the same as if I had only shot twice. It takes about 15 shots before the gun will start shooting good groups, but the good thing is that you only have to apply it every couple hundred shots. Moly coated bullets are also an option to decrease barrel wear, but the problem with them is that it can be wiped off the bullets, so each bullet tends to have a different ammont of coating on it, which increases group size.

Due to the large taper on the swifts case the case is prone to streaching. Most of the powders that I have tried have streached the cases an undesirable ammount when loaded to the max except Reloader 15. Not only does RL 15 not streach the cases terribly it also attains the highest velocities. 39 gr. of RL 15 should put you (depending on eleveation and barrel leangth) at 3900-4000 ft second. This is plenty fast for most applications. If you are thinking of trying some 60 or 63 gr. bullets in order to get more energy I wouldn't bother. The 55 gr. will have more energy than the sixty gr. will, just because the bullet is going so much slower. And plus, velocity is more important than energy. A 44 mag has twice the energy at 25 yards than the swift does at 500 yards but the if you shoot some .25 inch steel with the 44 at 25 yards it won't even dent it. If you shoot .25 inch steel at 500 yards with the swift (even with a high expansion varmit bullet) will bore a perfect hole right though it. It's all about impact, faster you hit something less time it has to absorb the hit. In fact I had the oppontunity to shoot a deer with the swift at 523 yards this season. It hit, dead center in the shoulder (which was a bad shot on my part since I pulled it five inches to the left, (should have just went for a head shot)) but the bullet (55 gr. sierra sp bt) opened up nicely and even with hitting the shoulders and two ribs the bullet went went all the way though. So if anybody tells you that the swift is too light for dear don't believe it. Hell, I take the swift elk and bear hunting sometimes.

When loading I usually use winchester primers (they fit a little tighter) with norma cases or nickel cases are nice if you can afford them. I shoot the cases six times and then throw them away they could probably be shot more but six seems to be a good number.

Hopefully I did not fill you with too much info, as you can probably tell I am a bit of a fanatic, (Mechanical engineering major as well, so I get pretty into it).

quote:

Posts: 351 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have ruger 77 varmiter (liberty mod.1976) I boughtit about 15 yrs.ago and shoot 41 grs. 4895, with 50 gr v-max or hollow points. I shoot a lot of crows ,and they don't stand a chance at 350-400 yrds if the wind isn't blowing. It is the best and still will shoot 1/2 at 100yrds if you do you part. S don't worry about hurting it.

Posts: 4 | Location: lyndonville, | Registered: 11 April 2002Reply With Quote