THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Anyone Here Hunt Deer with a 6PPC

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Here Hunt Deer with a 6PPC
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted
I'm searching for a light-recoiling rifle for a new, young shooter, and have found a couple of nice used Sako 6PPC repeaters for sale. I'd like to find a rifle that will be pleasant for him to practice at the range with and also use it for a little hunting for our small coastal blacktail deer.

Anyone use a 6PPC for deer? I guess the barrel twist might be a factor here regarding the weight of 6mm bullets that will stabilize.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 163 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
been a ton of deer killed with a 243 aand there isn't much difference ventainly better than a 223

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest the 6MM ARC, as it is essentially a fast twist 6PPC that is better suited to shooting heavier deer bullets. I believe the little Howa Mini in 6mm ARC or 6.5 Grendel, would be much better options for deer.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive shot a number of deer and Antelope with my 6x45 with various bullets and all one shot quick kills with one about a 75 yard run. ben ueingit off and one since 1980. My grandson rancher and cowboy has shot a number of stuff with it and sees no reason for anything else..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never shot a 6PPC, but have shot whitetail and mule deer with 243Win and 6Rem. I have tried 100 grain and 87 Hornady Interlock bullets and I ended up chasing wounded deer for about 3/4 mile even with heart shots, which made me give them up as a deer rifle. After years of using other cartridge rifles I tried 70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets on deer and they were dead right where I shot them, no tracking. Other shooters may have different results but this was my experience.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
After researching this a little more, I think that the Sako 6PPC will present some problems as a deer rifle, given its 1:14 twist. According to the JBM Ballistics stability calculator, the maximum bullet weight that the barrel will stabilize is about 70 grains. Heavier 6mm bullets are too long to stabilize with that twist, and I haven't found any 6mm 70-grain bullets that would be adequate for deer-size game.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 163 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
South Pender, I recently sold a Ruger American in 6.5 Grendel that was wonderfully mild of recoil and wonderfully accurate with a 120-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip over 29 grains of Re15, for just under 2500 fps. I don't think you could make a better choice for your new shooter.
Here is a nice five-shot group at 100 yards, and only about the third or fourth load I tried.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
South Pender, I recently sold a Ruger American in 6.5 Grendel that was wonderfully mild of recoil and wonderfully accurate with a 120-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip over 29 grains of Re15, for just under 2500 fps. I don't think you could make a better choice for your new shooter.
Here is a nice five-shot group at 100 yards, and only about the third or fourth load I tried.

I second this! tu2

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canada has become so very restrictive as of late. The 6mm Arc and 6.5 Grendel were both initially developed for use in the AR-15 Platteform. Are bolt action rifles and ammunition even available in Canada, or have they been banned, like so many other firearms and related Minutia?

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
Canada has become so very restrictive as of late. The 6mm Arc and 6.5 Grendel were both initially developed for use in the AR-15 Platteform. Are bolt action rifles and ammunition even available in Canada, or have they been banned, like so many other firearms and related Minutia?

No, bolt action rifles are fine and unrestricted, and ammunition is in full supply.

- Bertrand Russell

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I just bought a 6mm ARC upper for Wifezilla to use for deer. I'm trying some 85 grain Partitions and have some 95 grain Bergers and Barnes LRX bullets on order.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by South Pender:
After researching this a little more, I think that the Sako 6PPC will present some problems as a deer rifle, given its 1:14 twist. According to the JBM Ballistics stability calculator, the maximum bullet weight that the barrel will stabilize is about 70 grains. Heavier 6mm bullets are too long to stabilize with that twist, and I haven't found any 6mm 70-grain bullets that would be adequate for deer-size game.

Ummmm . . . I wouldn't put too much stock in such "twist calculators". A conventional lead core bullet of 80-85 grains will likely yield good accuracy in the Sako's 1-14" twist. You might try either the Speer 80 or the Sierra 85 (my standby for my 6x45 is an obsolete Nosler 85 solid base, which should never have been discontinued). Besides, I know that owning and shooting a Sako is hugely preferable for you to one of the pedestrian rifles that other small 6mm's come in with their barrel twists like an SAE bolt thread.

Tell you what: If you're serious about a Sako 6PPC let me know and I'll load some 85 grainers for mine and let you know how they shoot. If they go through the target sideways I'll be happy to report that so you can avoid that pitfall.

BTW: Just checked the Nosler handbook which states "Our 80 grain Ballistic Tip is the heaviest Nosler bullet that will properly stabilize in the 1-14" twist of the 6mm PPC". Since the Nosler BTip is somewhat longer than a conventional lead-tipped bullet of the same or slightly higher weight, I suspect that those "conventional" bullets will act just fine -- and are ample for Coastal Blacktails.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
That's interesting information, Stonecreek. Thanks for that. Although I'd obviously prefer a Sako rifle over anything else, I guess I shouldn't push my preferences on someone else!

I think I'm going to look for something that will handle a heavier bullet so that his rifle will be a little more versatile. If there were a decent rifle in 6.5 Grendel, that would be ideal, as Bill/Oregon has suggested, but there have been very few Grendels in Canada as far as I can tell. My best bet for this shooter might just be to get him a nice used .243 Win., preferably a Sako L579 or AII, one that will weigh in at 7 lbs. or less.

I'll keep looking....

- Bertrand Russell