THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    CZ527 Optics mounting solutions

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ527 Optics mounting solutions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not sure of the best place to post this , but since the CZ527 only handles small calibres figured this was as good a place as any.

everyone with a CZ527 knows the difficulties its unique dovetail dimensions and short mini-mauser action can lead to in mounting solutions for optics.

Limited adjustment in optics is available ith the CZ supplied mounts, both in height & eye relief.
Wearing glasses I had problems with adequate eye relief.
Mounting a Minox A5 with a 50mm objective I had height issues to mount with lens caps.

The only direct mounting extension rings I could find are made by EAW but unfortunately cost almost as much as the rifle.

CZ USA carries a picatinny rail adapter for the 527 , but the full width rail made single round loading at the range a PITA.
It had the advantage tho of having front extension.

I found That DIP Inc manufactured a picatinny rail with an ejection port cut-out, but only the same length as the original dovetails.

hunting around for extension rings to suit I found 2 brands.
- one was a hinge type which was declined
- the other were Aluminium rings manufactured by B-square.

The combination of the DIP rail with the standard B-square extension rings in Medium gave me more than enough scope adjustment at the front mount to get enough eye relief & enogh height to mount Butler Creek lens caps with nearly 3mm clearance to the barrel.

single round loading & extraction at the range has been a Breeze.

FWIW Others might find the solution useful.

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks pretty gooed to me.

Calhoon also has some fixes with a combo bolt handle and "Hunker Mounts".

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
His mounts , whilst compatible directly with the 527 dovetail are actually lower than the CZ factory mounts & for those requiring longer eye relief are not better or significantly worse than standard available mounts, as they mount vertical on the front dovetail & this is the place you run out of eye relief positioning for the scope as the adjustment is limited by the turrets , before you run out of adjustment at the eyepiece bell.............due to the short action length.His hunker mounts are amongst the widest rings out there , good for tube security, but actually limits eye relief adjustment a little more than the CZ factory rings................in my experience.

Its not a big issue for shooters with good eyesight.................just an issue for those of us who need to wear glasses for decent eyesight & need longer eye relief.

BTW
Its a 20VT with a Kreiger Match CM #4 at 24" & the Mag is a shortened DIY.
with all the paperwork & import of bits & pieces for even such a simple aftermarket 'custom' its been a 15 month odyssey.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Denis,

Very nice modification that seems to work. I like the idea of a picatinney rail to give a bit more front to back movement of the scope, but for one who has a left handed 527 it is built backwards.

Who did the magazine modification? I like the almost flush look.

Also very nice rifle all the way around.

Don

Life Member SCI &, NRA

Posts: 161 | Location: Reno NV and Betty's Bay RSA | Registered: 13 August 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
try these guys
http://www.egwguns.com/other-scope-mounts/

they make a cool one for the 452

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nevadan:
Denis,

Very nice modification that seems to work. I like the idea of a picatinney rail to give a bit more front to back movement of the scope, but for one who has a left handed 527 it is built backwards.

Who did the magazine modification? I like the almost flush look.

Also very nice rifle all the way around.

Don

The DIP rail is equal ended , so it should be reversible on the dovetail out of the box.

The Mag mod I did myself.
- the only tricky bit was bending the rails for the mag bottom after the mag body was cut down.
- but not particularly tricky.
just needed to make a block to a slip fit for the insides to clamp in the vice at the right height & heat the lip to cherry red to bend it.
- I did not shorten the spring & it has pretty much the same pressure with 3 down as the OEM mag has with 5 down.
( I figured if I needed more than 2 I should not be out there )
- the trigger guard was just judicious cutting & grinding Then rebluing.( it must be trimmed to allow the magazine base to transit past it , once the mag is shortened.

There's a step by step photo montage somewhere on the web( someone else did it ) if you want to have a go
try googling CZ 527 magazine modification.
( theres a short version with 10-12 pics or so & a long version of about 60 pics which showed a lot more detail IIRC )

The mag in the pic is the 222Rem magazine the NIB CZ that I rebarreled came with, I now have a .221Fireball Mag I still have to do.