THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .243 Winchester As A Target Round ???

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 Winchester As A Target Round ???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted
I see some rifle makers are now offering the .243 Winchester in varmint/heavy barrel configurations. How is the .243 as a target round? I guess I am asking, is it as good as the .22-250 and the .223? Thanks for any comments.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few long range f class and f/tr guys are using it....with 105 amaxes or 107 smk's or 115 dtacs its as good if not better than the 308 and 260

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
i have a 243AI that i use for 1000yrd 95 gr bergers.
It is better suited for 600yrds
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted Hide Post
I was thinking more about what kind of groups at a hundred yards would one get. Minute of angle or a one hole three or five shot group?

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago some of the top shooters were using the caliber, then it kind of faded with other rounds coming on the scene. One fault I had always heard, you hear a lot of things, was that it was a barrel eater??? I am not so sure about it being better match round than the 308 for that round is still going strong in the face of a whole bunch of various calibers you see on the firing line. Not for across the course/service rifle style of shooting, but for prone/long range/sling or rest(as in F class) the strongest round challenging or surpassing the 308 is the 284/6.5 round. Fine long range caliber. If you are just starting out and want the latest and greatest, might want to consider the 284/6.5, but if not, 308 still usually in the top tier of shooters on a given day. Good Luck.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
If not competing the .243 is a good round. Has a rep for barrel eating, but if you go .243 AI that supposedly changes the throat angle to reduce or mostly solve that problem.

I have a Steyr Mtn Rifle in .243 Win that goes mostly 1/2 to 3/4 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards with the heavier factory ammo in .243 like 95 or 100 gr bullets. I have a Ruger #1 which if you only shoot 2 shots and let it cool before shooting two more will do right at an inch. Factory barreled #1's aren't usually high accuracy rifles without hand loading.

I would think in any good heavy barreled rifle it will shoot pretty well. Neither of my .243's are heavy barreled.

Seems looking at ballistics the sweet spot for accuracy at range is 6.5 mm or so. I have thought a nice 260 Remington would be able to make one happy without magnum blast. Haven't owned one myself however.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Group size will depend on your barrel, reloading and shooting. 243 can shoot great groups and I used one for 6 months for F-class competition while building my 6.5/284. Savage factory varmint barrel would shoot 90 Lapuas in the 2's and 3's at 100 yd and shoot possibles at 600 and 1000 on the old (larger) F-class target, Changed to a Lothar-Walther 8 twist barrel and 105-107's and did better.
Wayne and cindy Forshee are perennial top place shooters at places like Perry and Ft Benning using 243 and 243AI.
the CALIBER is fine for several long range target applications, just depends on the individual rifle
Just my .02
Larry

Posts: 373 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
the 243 AI is very accurate. I used 1:10 twist 26' douglas. most accurate was 85gr barnes with the 95gr vld moly coat about the same.
used it one season for 1000yrd.
The barrel went at about 800 rounds.
throat moved .150"
rechambered the barrel and the accuracy has changed .groups opened up at 300 and 600 yrs.
iam thinking on a 6.5x 47 or a 6x47
maybe a 6br looks like they shoot pretty good out to 600yrds.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote