THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Forster CoAx for a starter Press

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forster CoAx for a starter Press
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As a rookie to reloading I've got little to go on except other folks opinions. So I must ask if there would be any draw back to my first reloading press being a Forster? Thanks Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a Bonanza for years which is now called Forster.
I only have good things to say about it.
But you will get other views I am sure.
If I needed to replace it I would get a Forster.
BRH

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Nope. This is one of the very best presses!

John

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
None, what so ever and once you use one you'll know why.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's the cream of the crop as far as presses go. For about $50.00 more than the competition, I don't see a downside. You will love the adjustable shell holder, top mounted priming set up and silky smooth operation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
user friendly. best single stage on the market.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wish I could have afforded one when I first started reloading. As others have said best single stage press. Best made, best designed.

Even better is to have 2, one set up with the jaws for .223 sized cases and the other for the bigger head sizes. No jaw changing - but once you do it a couple of times, jaw changing is a breeze too.

Regards,
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you need more than the one set of jaws that the unit comes with? I would like to load 204 ruger up to 7x57 Mauser, Thanks Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A person doesn't always need the second set of jaws as the "S" jaw will handle most common case sizes. The "LS" set covers cases such as 22 Hornet, 45-70, and the 416 Rigby. Each set of jaws has two reversible ends, so two sets would cover about everything under .50 BMG.

The only drawback to this press, if there is one, is that it requires 1-3/8"X.3125" lock rings. At one time most die sets came with such rings, but as manufactures cut costs those rings have slowly disappeared.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one as well as an RCBS Rockchucker and a Dillon progressive. I agree it is indeed a good press but to me there is a down side too it and it's fairly substantial if like me you are very fond of Redding Competition micrometer seaters. They are to long for the handle to function over top of so ya can't use em with the possible exception of real small rounds that have very short seater heights. Other than that they load very straight ammo.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You cannot use the Lee type lock rings (with the rubber 'O' ring). So order a bunch of Forster style lock rings when you order the Co-Ax.

This press is very different than all other single stage presses. The sliding 'jaws' adjustable shellholder, is adjusted from smaller to bigger by way of a pointed rod. Adjusted too tight? Just screw in the pointed rod until its a little looser. Out of adjustment? Flip the 'jaws' end for end to get a bigger size.

montdoug is correct about the really high micrometer topped seater dies interfering with the press handle. Although the Forster micrometer seater die clears with room to spare in 300WSM caliber.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Forster has improved the Co-Ax with the new B-3 Press, I think they increased the yoke clearance around 2.5 inches. I believe, I read you can have them up date earilier presses to the new yoke for more clearance, could be wrong. I have a Co-Ax and have sold my RCBS(good press), but is no comparison to the Co-Ax IMO. I use Forster Ultra Dies and have had no problems with clearance ever. The shorter handle is nice too.

Posts: 110 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
crashcarruthers

Posted Sun Nov 18 2007 10:51 PM Hide Post
I think Forster has improved the Co-Ax with the new B-3 Press, I think they increased the yoke clearance around 2.5 inches. I believe, I read you can have them up date earilier presses to the new yoke for more clearance, could be wrong.

Good to know, thanks! Mine is old enough to be a "Bonanza" press, but still works as new. Good product.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Co-Ax is a lovely press, the "Mercedes" of single stage presses in terms of smooth operation.

The loading window is a tad short for bullet seating in LONG cases. Seating bullets in cases of .375 H&H size is a bit of a wiggle.

I found the press to be more nimble when used with the optional short handle. Not only does Forster offer that handle with a ball handle (which feels more comfortable to me during long sessions at the press), but it also makes the press stroke feel a bit faster. The long handle is supposed to offer more leverage, but I have yet to use my long handle since I initially mounted the short.

Other than that, the learned members have presented good information above.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
It's a decision you'll never regret, I wished I would have started out with one.

The std jaws will work with the .204 on the small side, and the 7X57 on the large side.

I'd highly recomend Redding or Forster dies.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys thanks for all the great feed back regarding the CoAx, does it make sense to stick with Forster dies as well, or will the Redding and RCBS ones that I have in 204,22-250,and 243 do me just fine?
I am going to get the RCBS chargemaster combo for powder measuring as I hear they are an excellent product. Thanks Greg

one of us
posted Hide Post
I happen to think Forster dies are the bee's knees.

Their seater is the best you can get for the $$$. Even if you spend the extra cash to get a Redding Competition Seater, it is more a step up in finish than in terms of improved performance.

The Forster FL sizing dies are excellent as well. I normally have Forster modify mine (hone inside neck to specified diameter) to allow me to size without an expander - costs all of 10$ plus shipping. But even with the expander, these are some of my favorite dies. The expander ball sits high in the die, and that means more support for the case when you pull the expander through. In turn, this minimizes the risk of runout being produced.

Your Redding and RCBS dies will also work in the Co-Ax. They'll need new die lock rings, though. Either Forster or Hornady (if you prefer a steel ring) rings will do.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'd use either forster or redding dies, I no longer buy rcbs dies as redding are much better made and certainly well worth the money.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was wrong on 2.5 inches more clearance it is
a 1.5 inches.
"The upgraded B-3 model has 1-1/2†more clearance than the B-2." (forsterproducts.com)

Posts: 110 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote