Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x.284
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted
I'm kicking around rebarreling a M700SA. Does anyone here have any experience w/ the 6.5X.284? I will be shooting mostly long range target & maybe some varminting.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
I've read a few good articles on the round and was going to rechamber my 6.5x55 Tikka, but brass isn't available in Canada( to my knowledge) and getting anything across our borders is an excercise in frustration and futility. It appears to be an awesome cartridge. The Norma booth at the Shotshow a few years ago was very keen on it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,

If you can get norma brass you can 6.5x284, norma make it now.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent results with the Lapua 139 Scenar, Fed 210M and VV N165 as recommended in the reloading pages. Brass I used was converted 284 Winchester.

Results shown on the reloading pages appeared repeatable with small variations in powdercharge.

Here is a picture of my rifle:

M700 in 6.5x.284 with US Optics 42x Scope.

Hardware is Lilja barrel, Jewel trigger and MacMillan stock.

You might also consider .260 Remington or 6.5-.284 Ackley Improved. Both excellent calibers in short action.

[This message has been edited by DMCI* (edited 11-25-2001).]

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
<RickMD>
posted
Fred:

I recently had a 6.5-284 built on a VZ-24 action with a #7 premium grade Shilen barrel (13.5 pounds). The gunsmith is currently re-throating it because any bullet over 120 grains takes up an unreasonable amount of powder space.

If you choose to build your rifle on a SA you're stuck with an overall length of 2.8". This is the primary reason that the parent .284 failed. At 2.8" expect velocities to be about 300 fps less than a 6.5-06.

Rick

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick has it right: If you use a short action, then with longer bullets you'll suffer. If you use a long action, you're just as well (or better) off with a 6.5/06, which can be made a 6.5/06 Improved. Either the standard or the improved will have slightly more effective case capacity than the 6.5/284.

In your short Remington 700, don't expect miracles. It will be a good cartridge, but only a little ahead of the .260 Rem or 6.5x55.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<RickMD>
posted
The only reason that I chose to chamber for the 6.5-284 over the 6.5-06 was for the shorter powder column and the 35 degree sholder. Stonecreek is correct that the 6.5-06 has a small edge in balistics even when the 6.5-284 is used in a long action. I chronographed some pretty warm 2.8" LOA loads with 140 gr. Sierra Match King and was less than pleased. Velocities were about equal to my 6.5x57 with the short overall length.

Rick

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am guessing some of you haven't run into the problem that I had. There is a difference between 6.5-284 Winchester and Norma. The Norma necks are thicker than formed 284 brass or Hornady 6.5-284. Although this doesn't sound like that big of a problem I had many stuck bolts when using the Norma brass, and when I formed a box of my own they fed flawlesly. So make sure when you get your rifle chambered that you ask if they are using a Norma spec reamer or a winchester.
As for performance, yes you can higher velocities from a 6.5-06 Imp, but higher speed deoesn't mean more accurate. It's proven that short fat cases burn powder more effeciently and short actions are stiff both leading to slightly more accurate tolerances.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill Tompkins>
posted
fredj338,

Since you mention shooting target and varmints, there is in my opinion very little reason to feed out of a magazine. This then allows you to shoot single shot and load to a longer OAL for higher velocities.

I have used XP-100's, 40-X's and several 700 SA for this cartridge set up with a custom chamber for long range varmints and targets.

Bill

posted Hide Post
Exactly as Bill said. I have a 224-284 and load WAY out past 2.8". Course I have to, with a longer bullet than by "normal" design.

Good shootin,
Dave.

Posts: 9 | Location: usa | Registered: 13 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
DMCI, that looks like a short action M700, what kind of velocitie are you getting w/ 120 & 140gr loads and are you single loading?

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
That is a long action M700. Vels: 120 - 3200, 140 -- 2900 or so.

Barrel is 26".

Scope is 35mm tube with 58mm objective.

42x58mm

[This message has been edited by DMCI* (edited 12-15-2001).]

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote