Find
Notify
Tools

243 win for black bear
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted Hide Post
I don't know in Penn, but here in south west NY state there are quite a few 400 lb + bears and I alsways see them out of range when bowhunting. Most bears I see here in NY are in the 200lb range, I also see some big boys, but they're big for a reason, they're smart. In NY you can't bait or hunt with dogs, and trying to pattern a bear (maybe I'm not good enough), to me is very challenging. Bears can travel great distances in 1 day. I hardly ever see the same bear twice.

Posts: 156 | Location: NY | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PETEM:
I don't know in Penn, but here in south west NY state there are quite a few 400 lb + bears and I alsways see them out of range when bowhunting. Most bears I see here in NY are in the 200lb range, I also see some big boys, but they're big for a reason, they're smart. In NY you can't bait or hunt with dogs, and trying to pattern a bear (maybe I'm not good enough), to me is very challenging. Bears can travel great distances in 1 day. I hardly ever see the same bear twice.

Lots and LOTS of 400+ bears here in PA. Every year there's several 600+ killed, sometimes 700+ and there's been a handful of 800+ (and the bear biologists allude to knowledge of bigger yet!!).

These ain't .243 fodder.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted Hide Post
I might need to go to Penn for the big boys. How much is a non resident tag?

one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PETEM:
I might need to go to Penn for the big boys. How much is a non resident tag?

$101 for non-resident license
$36 for non-resident bear tag

Could not honestly tell you what the success ratio is statewide. You would want to get in with or bring your own band of drivers and watchers. It's a laborious ordeal......crawling through the most forsaken thickets you can imagine to chase the boogers out. Our gang's motto is "if you're not bleeding after the first drive, you're a slacker". The brutal work can be worth it. I downed a 21 15/16" bruin in 2006.

Founder....the OTPG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lots and LOTS of 400+ bears here in PA. Every year there's several 600+ killed, sometimes 700+ and there's been a handful of 800+ (and the bear biologists allude to knowledge of bigger yet!!).

That would be a lot of black bear. I thought 600 was a monster.

Posts: 15880 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
I'd use a 243 if it was all I had. You have better choices at hand. I've only shot three smallish bears but they all ran off a ways. I wouldn't care to be beating the mtn laurel for a wounded bear with just a 243 in my hand.

Pretty much my thoughts and experience.

The unsuspecting black bear I shot this fall ran off into some nearby thickets, inspite of the fact that the 180 grn from my 30-06 took off the top of his heart. We didn't know it at the time, but he didn't go more than 15 yards in. Wading into those thickets can get a guys heart rate up....

CSSA
CPC

Posts: 129 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the problems with bears is that they have a low respiratory rate. It takes longer for the blood to reach the brain and oxygenate it. This means that you can split a bear's heart in two but until his brain runs out of oxygen he can keep coming unless you break something.

If you live in bear country you hear two kinds of stories. One is of guys who find them timid and stupid and do not fear them at all. Others are horror stories. Take your pick which to believe. I believe all of them and think it best to play safe. Black bears are predatory and some of them stalk and eat people. All live bears are potentially dangerous, IMO.

Knitting needles "can" kill bears. So can a .243. I always load my .270 with 150 grain Nosler Partition when hunting in bear country just because. A 30 cal is better.

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How big do the black bears get in northern BC, along the coast? I imagine they don't get as big as the ones you guys are describing, but I really have no idea. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Biggest actual weighed and witnessed Bear from Vancouver Island, B.C. I personally know of was 530 lbs in Sept. IIRC near Courtenay.
Not to say that there have not been bigger ones tho.
Lots in the over 6 ft and 300+lb class here.
I was trying for a real big old bastidge in 05 but was never able to get closer than 290 yds of him.
The one time I almost got him he crossed the road suddenly as I was stalking up it looking for him and he just tore off down thru the boulder strewn slash and I never got a shot off.
He would of made book easily and close to 7 ft, he was just massive. He must have been hunted before a few times cuz he was ultra spooky. The ears on his head looked like tiny Oreo cookies perched on the side of his skull!
Have dreams bout that Bruin still.

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
My '06 bear was a tad over 7 feet. Live weight was 677 lbs. I cannot swear that he is the biggest bear I've ever seen here in west PA. I know there's been some others very close to his size. I've seen gobs in the 400-550 range over the years.

Founder....the OTPG

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd take on a black bear with a 243 any day.
Give me a good 100 gr bullet like a Partition, TSX or Accubond and a good broadside shot at 200 yards or less and he's a dead bear.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
When hunting bear, isn't it a good idea to have a gun that can take him on when he's coming straight for you? Would a 100gr 6mm bullet be able to stop him?

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
When hunting bear, isn't it a good idea to have a gun that can take him on when he's coming straight for you? Would a 100gr 6mm bullet be able to stop him?

Hell .303 Guy, the only thing you got going for yourself is common sense and good logic. Roll Eyes

Confusedloaded down 22Hornet??? bewildered roger homer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:

Hell .303 Guy, the only thing you got going for yourself is common sense and good logic. Roll Eyes

A dangerous combination.

Founder....the OTPG

one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted Hide Post
You don't want to meet this bear with a .243

one of us
posted Hide Post
Heres a little thing I tried long time ago.
I took a Black Bear skull from one that was just freshly skinned. I put it on a log at 25 yds and took my 16 ga shotgun loaded with #2 bird shot and fired it at the skull to see what would happen.
Well wonder of wonders that #2 shot easily penetrated that bear skull.
Somehow I think a 100 gr 243 bullet would have a little bit easier time of it than #2 bird shot! So if it misses the head and hits him in the chest long as you hit the vitals he's a dead bear no matter if you get him with a 243 or a 44 mag pistol or a razor sharp arrow.
There seems to be this cult of 243 win bashin that I fail to understand?
Given a decent bullet and shot into the vitals of a game animal you get precisely the same results no matter what cal or cartridge you care to name they drop dead! I know for a fact that a Barnes 243 hunting bullet will give almost complete pass thru length wise on Mule deer doe. I shoot Nosler 95 gr Partitions thru my 243 win and have only ever recovered one. They have all completely penetrated deer up to 200yds the one I recovered had penetrated almost completely, lodged in the liver on far side. That shot was a little too long.
It kills em just as fast as any other cartridge I have ever seen used.
But if some of you guys are talkin Bear over 350 lbs then yep you need more rifle and bullet cuz now your up from medium into heavy game.

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Show the bear some respect and use the .338. Personally I´d use a 9.3x62- but I have an ongoing affair with all 9.3´s Wink

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote