New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Not The 6.5-06?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I built a 6.5x06 Gibbs some many years ago when I was managing a ranch in Wyoming and was also a pumper on the ranch for Sun Oil..

I shot Mule deer and antelope with it an one bull elk..

My finale decision on the caliber was the Gibbs was a nightmare to form cases, so I bouht a die to form cases with oil..You hit the die with a hammer and it sized the case with oil, in my case is splattered my whole body with oil..at which I determined it was no better than my .270 and in fact not as good..I never had another 6.5...but Im curious about the Creedmore, maybe its down the line, but I have a 250-3000 and a 257 Roberts, do I want a 6.5 Creedmore, it would only be repetition??? Confused

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Redundency but then that always gives an excuse for a new rifle.I mentioned on another forum about a 30 Gibbs I built.I made a tapered 35 cal.spud to thread onto my decapping pin,sized my 06 brass then removed the spud + sized again back to 30 which gave the neck a sort of dbl. wrinkle.Then fireformed. Easy + no mess.Same principle should work for the 6.5/06

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry.I get in a hurry when I assume everyone knows what I'm saying.Flaring the neck is just that;not a full length resize.That is done on the final pass.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know what? The curiosity bug just bit me. I'll bet that I can make that brass using the same method w/ my existing dies/spuds/etc. More later!

one of us
posted Hide Post
1. If you want to shoot 140-142 grain bullets accurately, you will need a 1:8" twist barrel.
2. If you are using a C.I.P. chamber, have your gunsmith use a throater to get you to 130-grain land, or out to 140-143-grain land.
3. Get out a few load manuals and see how much of what burning rate powder each cartridge (e.g. 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x57mm, 6.5 PRC, 6.5x284, 6.5xo6, 6.5x03, 6.5 x55SM, 6.5x65mm RWS, 6.5 Rem Mag, 6.5MS, 6.5 x 68mm, .264 Win Mag, 6.5x300 Weatherby Magnum, etc.). You will end up with three main groups; moderate, snappy, distinctly overbore.
4. Pick what amount of powder suits your inclination/personality.
5. Pick Short Action, Medium Action, Long action, Long magnum action. For example, the PRC is on the border between Snappy, and overbore. Powder weights run 50-grains to say, 52.5 grains, You can run a 142, 143, or even 147 bullet at over 3,000 fps. Some of those bullets have high BCs. In a long action you can load .5-grain less powder in great RWS brass in the 6.5x65mmRWS/6.5-06, or 6.5x06AI. Use a 142 grain Nosler long range Accubond. BC of .720 at 3,000 to 3,100 fps. Either method will stretch that trajectory string pretty flat.
6. Look at the actual cartridge dimensions, angles, neck length,and so on. That would indicate, for instance, why the 6.5x284 Norma eats barrels twist as fast as the 6.5-06, or 6.5x65mm RWS.
7.See what makes of brass are available for a given cartridge. I like Lapua, RWS, Norma in no special order, especially with the AMP annealing machine. I like the PRC, but really hope for some quality brass. With Hornady, you have a large percentage of cases that will need to be culled.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course one can make brass in a number of ways, all of which require fireforming, the oil die was made by Gibbs and it was a damn mess and you still had to fire form, I wrote Gibbs off after that experience and much preferred the Ackley versions that would fire factory ammo to get your brass and I got Gibbs velocities..but bottom line is my experience with wildcats was short lived, wasted about 3 or 4 years playing with that, got an opinion, and never went back except on rare occasions.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
When you look at Midway's lists there always some (I didn't count this time) either "backorder ok" or "Not available, no backorder" so it's hard to tell exactly what they offer. Especially since "backorder ok" cam mean whenever we get enough requests, not a scheduled resupply of inventory. Some of my backorders popped up 6-8 months later..

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
1. If you want to shoot 140-142 grain bullets accurately, you will need a 1:8" twist barrel.
2. If you are using a C.I.P. chamber, have your gunsmith use a throater to get you to 130-grain land, or out to 140-143-grain land.
3. Get out a few load manuals and see how much of what burning rate powder each cartridge (e.g. 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x57mm, 6.5 PRC, 6.5x284, 6.5xo6, 6.5x03, 6.5 x55SM, 6.5x65mm RWS, 6.5 Rem Mag, 6.5MS, 6.5 x 68mm, .264 Win Mag, 6.5x300 Weatherby Magnum, etc.). You will end up with three main groups; moderate, snappy, distinctly overbore.
4. Pick what amount of powder suits your inclination/personality.
5. Pick Short Action, Medium Action, Long action, Long magnum action. For example, the PRC is on the border between Snappy, and overbore. Powder weights run 50-grains to say, 52.5 grains, You can run a 142, 143, or even 147 bullet at over 3,000 fps. Some of those bullets have high BCs. In a long action you can load .5-grain less powder in great RWS brass in the 6.5x65mmRWS/6.5-06, or 6.5x06AI. Use a 142 grain Nosler long range Accubond. BC of .720 at 3,000 to 3,100 fps. Either method will stretch that trajectory string pretty flat.
6. Look at the actual cartridge dimensions, angles, neck length,and so on. That would indicate, for instance, why the 6.5x284 Norma eats barrels twist as fast as the 6.5-06, or 6.5x65mm RWS.
7.See what makes of brass are available for a given cartridge. I like Lapua, RWS, Norma in no special order, especially with the AMP annealing machine. I like the PRC, but really hope for some quality brass. With Hornady, you have a large percentage of cases that will need to be culled.

Near as I can tell.. No CIP standards exist for the 6.5-06. However in 1997 A Square folks sub mitted their "standardized" version to SAAMI..not a real important point, just might save some searching

Posts: 3623 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
I have a Springfield actioned 6.5-06 with a Pac-Nor Barrel. Hunting weight. I am on the second barrel, not because it was shot out, but was an A Square. As was mentioned earlier, the long throat just lead to the defeat of a great cartridge, this barrel was no different. My plan is to shoot the lighter bullets, as I have all the other rifles also mentioned here. This one shoots .5 maybe a little better with IMR4831 and 120 Sierra's. I have shot coyotes, jack rabbits antelope and deer. Who could ask for more? Gonna shoot a Texas hog with it next April at Danny Smith's fine ranch. 6.5-06 built for fun and superb performance.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The 6.5-06 existed long before A-Square legitimized it. For many decades we were told the .30-06 case was "over capacity" with any bullets smaller in diameter than .270. Oddly enough, some also figured .270 was the perfect bullet for the .30-06 case. But powders, rifles, and opinions have changed. Today, even large magnum sized cartridges are considered fine for 6.5mm bullets. Go figure.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
The 6.5-06 existed long before A-Square legitimized it. For many decades we were told the .30-06 case was "over capacity" with any bullets smaller in diameter than .270. oddly enough, some also figured .270 was the perfect bullet for the .30-06 case. But powders, rifles, and opinions have changed. Today, even large magnum sized cartridges are considered fine for 6.5mm bullets. Go figure.

Very interesting post Grenadier. Smiler

I hunt a lot with a 25.06 and never ‘knew’ I was “over capacity”, but no complaints from me, and not a word from the scores of Antelope/Deer it has dropped!!

As you said: Go figure... beer

Posts: 2627 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 6.5 - 65mm RWS is a CIP standard reamer. To shoot 140-grain bullets, I will have to have the throat lengthened. RWS designed it for 107-grain, and 125-grain class bullets, choosing raw speed over effective high BC bullets. I chose it because standardized brass is available from Huntington Die Specialties.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not getting here often, so late to the party!

I'm looking at the 6.5-06 or AI very seriously. I have a 30-06 which I plan to rebarrel with a 26-27" 1 in 8.

I'd seen in the past that Kirby Allen of Allen Precision is a big fan of particularly the AI version. I see reports of 3050 fps with a 140gr in a 26".

He recommends simply loading 25-06 brass and seating a boattail bullet with an appropriate charge straight into the case to fireform (no necking up required).

The dies are pricey though.... vs say 6.5-284.

It seems that guys are using Redding Type S bushing dies in 25-06 / AI with appropriate bushings to resize.

I'm not a fan of standard Redding dies due to how low in the case the expander ball sits. I can adjust an RCBS to behave like a Forster but a Redding expander cannot be adjusted up so high.

Any suggestions on a seater?

I may go straight 6.5-06 to save on the dies.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5-06 has been used in competition for a while now and it gives performance about like the 6.5-284. They both cheat the wind a little at the expense of barrel life. They both are pretty much a reloading proposition as factory ammo will be difficult to find.

The .270 is a great round and I've hunted with it for many years now. It needs a long action just like the 6.5-06 and the 6.5-284 but factory ammo is easy to find just about everywhere.

If I wanted a 6.5 that will fit in a short action, perform well and is easy to get accurate factory ammo for I'd get a 6.5 CM. It is easy to load for.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
I was perusing Midway's ammo offerings in .264 caliber (6.5mm). Currently for sale, there are (17) calibers:

6.5x52R
6.5 Grendel
6.5x50
6.5 Carcano
6.5x52 MC
6.5x54 MS
6.5 Creedmoor
6.5 PRC
260 Rem.
6.5x47
6.5x55
6.5x57R
6.5x284
6.5 Rem. Mag.
264 WM
26 Nosler
6.5-300 Weatherby

There are others of course, such as 6.5x53R, 6.5x57, 6.7 Lazzaroni Phanton, and more.

My question and amazement is, no 6.5-06!!

Is this because A-Square legitimized this cartridge? Do they have some patent on it that makes it too expensive for anyone to load this cartridge?

It seems unbelievable that with all of the above 6.5s available for sale today, that one of them is not the 6.5-06, a round based on the ubiquitous 30-06, America's darling. I could not even find this round in the latest issue of COTW (15th edition).

I have rifles in 25-06, 270, 280, 30-06, 338-06 and 35 Whelen, all of course based on the '06 case. All are offered with factory ammo. I guess I could have a 6.5-06 made, but I am waiting for a factory rifle and factory ammo.

Seems strange to have 20 or more cartridges in this caliber, most offerd for sale on Midway, but no 6.5-06 here in America.

What gives? A-Square?

The 270 and also the 25/06.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I had a 6.5-06 for a while, purchased not so much for the cartridge but for the very nice semi-custom Brno ZKK rifle, originally a 30-06 but re-barreled with a heavier profile 24" Douglas Supreme 1:8 twist barrel. Had the original Brno front sight and barrel sling hanger on the new barrel and the sort after pop up rear peep sight.
Was an accurate but slightly heavy rig giving 2900 - 3000fps with a 140gr bullet.
Shot some Himalayan tahr with it at longish range but in the end my cheap, lightweight and accurate Marlin XS with a 22" barrel achieves 2900fps with 140gr bullets and with its smooth operating action is a pleasure to carry and use.

Other than nice to look at, I just had no need for the 6.5 in the end. Was easy to just size 30-06 cases load up and shoot, or use 25-06 cases as is and just load and shoot, didn't need the necks sizing up when using boat-tail bullets.

Posts: 3912 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to know how many 6.5/06s D’Arcy Echols and David Miller have made.

My guess would be that the big percentage of the rifles they have made would be the the 270, 300 Winchester, 300 Wby, 338 Winchester, 375 H&H and 458 Lott.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot the 30/06 Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
The 6.5-06 existed long before A-Square legitimized it. For many decades we were told the .30-06 case was "over capacity" with any bullets smaller in diameter than .270. Oddly enough, some also figured .270 was the perfect bullet for the .30-06 case. But powders, rifles, and opinions have changed. Today, even large magnum sized cartridges are considered fine for 6.5mm bullets. Go figure.

I read an article a while ago about the 6xc vs the creedmore. David Tubbs was basically suggesting that it is easier to be more consistent (accurate) with a more efficient (less capacity) cartridge. He moved on from all things 6.5 to the 6Xc. That seems to be the trend today. Splitting hairs over impractical real world levels of accuracy.

If one is building a rifle, the difference between a Creedmore and a 260 Rem is nell, and the 260 actually has an edge in terms of velocity. But the factory twist rate of the Creedmore has the market all in a tizzy.. The 260 doesnt even get mentioned anymore. Personally I like my 260, but I would love a 6.5-06.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10167 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I LIKE the 284 case so I've built 6 and 6.5 x 284's and used LA's just to get the longer COAL'S you CAN'T get with SA's...I also have a 6.5 Weatherby I like VERY much I bought just before the 26 Nosler was available(it was on sale, very cheap and I needed another mag receiver of a future project)..AND an AR Creedmore...AND a 260 Rem swap barrel for a Sav LA...AND two Swedes...the ALL are useful and were built/bought for different purposes.

I would have a 6.5-06 except I never found that round tuit to doit...something else always got in the way...but the few friends that had 6.5-06's always liked them and took everything the N.A. continent had to offer...usually with one shot...AND ALWAYS had to whizz on your boots if you used ANYTHING else caliber wise. lol The same thing can be said of HOW many other cals???? Big Grin

I DON'T see the hoo-haw over the various case sizes...in ANY caliber for that matter...the more the merrier I think!!!! Big Grin clap

Build whatever you like/want...ain't no thang, Bro.

Good Hunting tu2 beer