THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    In keeping with light weight youth package, Aluminum rings and bases?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In keeping with light weight youth package, Aluminum rings and bases?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted
I was wondering if a weaver style aluminum scope mount is up to the task for a 243 rifle? I have never used a set of aluminum rings and bases. I would like to keep the weight down on a youth rifle and thought aluminum rings may shed a little weight. Any thoughts?

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Look at the Talley light weights. They are as strong as you'll ever need and the ring and base are intgral. They look nice and they're reasonably priced.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
Will do, thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My son has the Talley Lightweight's on his Vanguard 7mm08. No problems whatsoever. tu2

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Weaver mounts are amply strong. As a matter of fact, they may be more recoil resistant than some of the more "fashionable" rings that are currently in vogue.

I'd recommend using Weaver bases with the Leupold Rifleman rings or similar rings. They will be a little lighter than the Weavers (which have an aluminum base mated with steel rings) and are also a cleaner design. As a matter of fact, the Burris Z-rings for Weaver bases may weigh hardly more than Weavers, are all steel, and have very clean lines.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Yes, Weaver mounts are amply strong. As a matter of fact, they may be more recoil resistant than some of the more "fashionable" rings that are currently in vogue.

I'd recommend using Weaver bases with the Leupold Rifleman rings or similar rings. They will be a little lighter than the Weavers (which have an aluminum base mated with steel rings) and are also a cleaner design. As a matter of fact, the Burris Z-rings for Weaver bases may weigh hardly more than Weavers, are all steel, and have very clean lines.

Thanks for the tip Sir, I will look into all of those .