THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Lapua - mfg. 260 brass, wonder if they will do a 6 x 47L?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lapua - mfg. 260 brass, wonder if they will do a 6 x 47L?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted
Are there many 6x47 shooters here? Not Deuce Mag case, but the newer cat on the 6.5L case?

Like to hear your experience on the 6mm/6.5x47 Lapua.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Perhaps not, as if they were, maybe that news would be out as well. Asked about BOTH back in 2009 and 07 and the answer was ....NO. Seems they are changing their tune.

I am surprised Lapua has not standardized the 6x47 but perhaps Hornady will do a 6mm Creedmoor to rival the XC. Subtle yet interesting nuances in cartridges.

I know Butch Lambert here sent me some pics of a buy who has killed ALOT of hog/pigs and deer w/the 6x47 and 115-117s IIRC.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one. I had always wondered how well a 788 Remington really could shoot if fully tweaked. I had an old 788 in .22-250 laying around a some extra $$$ so I found out Big Grin.
I ordered a 1 in 12 twist Kreiger Barrel and had a top smith in Colorado that's done a lot of work for me have at it. I choose the 6X47 Lapua cause A) I thought it oughtta be a great varmint round to burn up a bunch of 70 grain 6mm bullets I had. Plus B) the 6X47 Lapua feeds through the magazine like it was designed by the factory for it.
It was a rousing success on all fronts. I refinished the 788's stock myself and discovered a real piece of Walnut under all the cracked varnish, "surprise-surprise" (it was an early offering).
As expected for what was always an accurate rifle back when. A top smith and an inherently accurate round can really make it sing.
Here's the rifle, and a close up of the butt stock.

Real shocked by the wood on this one, called Remington they said it was a 1967 issue and they didn't use Walnut on many of em for very long.
I worked up loads using Hornady 65 grain V-Max's at a real sane 3,700ish FPS and the old and discontinued Hornady 70 grain SXSP designed to really pop at lower velocities to 3,450ish FPS.
Here's a picture of a couple of 5 shot groups shot after both loads were developed. I spend stupid money on what was a $110.00 rifle new but what the heck, ya only go round once.

Single pointed action, double sleeved and bushed bolt, tight necked minimum spec chamber with zero free bore (I can seat a bullet to fit the magazine and still touch the lands). It do mess up a rockchuck Smiler
I love the round! Most guys opt for a faster twist barrel for heavier projectiles but like I said I had beau-coups 60 to 70 grain varmint bullets left after converting a 40XBR in 6BR to a hot rod .20 caliber wildcat called a .20 Dasher. Plus I wanted a walking varminter, got er too. Kinda long, sorry but that's my experience with the 6X47 Lapua.

P.S.
Great brass to work with and a real easy case to form, just size the neck down to 6MM far enough to create a false shoulder and a crush fit. Fire-form on rodents, never lost a case forming.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Nice report - was that Speedy who built it?

That 12" will work w/85 Sierra's as I had one in 6BR, can take deer w/it, and probably do w/80 TTSX if you wanted.

Looks like your rifle exceeded expectations, never seen a bad 788 not shoot, so your custom as shown will do a bang up job. Congrats.

Thanks for the post/pics - nice rifle!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg Tannel at Gre'Tan Rifles did it for me, he's a Wizard!
I shoot a lot of sub .22 caliber wildcat varmint rounds and he's got reamers for stuff most smiths don't want to mess with, cut whatever neck and throat ya want, he's truly a cut above. No we're not related Wink.
I got some 80 grain Speer Hot Core hunting bullets to try for that 6X47, figured it wouldn't be a bad piece for my Grandson's to take their first deer with at reasonable ranges.
As you mentioned it's another round that any reasonable guy would expect to be a commercial success if introduced in the right rifle. That said the last 100 years of firearm history is littered with great rounds that just didn't catch on, go figure Confused . Sure some great ones, I find myself attracted to em like a kid to candy. Shot my elk this year with an old Savage 99 in .358. I'm beyond help. I keep hearing that Creedmoor call my name too, glad I been blessed with a tolerant and understanding wife.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info - Greg is a known entity ...GreTan.

No doubt an 80 HC will ruin a deer's day....and life!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Job on the rifle Doug... .Good job on the stock!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks seafire. That's 8 coats of hand rubbed Tru-Oil and a Decelerator added for color. Done by a guy with 10 thumbs. Pretty amazing wood for a 788 ain't it?
I shoulda took a picture of it before and after. It hadn't been shot much but it hadn't been cared for any. Nasty!
It also was significant to me cause it was made in 1967, a real significant year in my life. Somebody walked into a sporting goods store somewhere and bought that new at the exact same time I was a hell of a long way from home in the Marine Corps wishing I was back home in Montana. It deserved an overhaul I figured.