New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 25-06 Troubles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My 25-06 loves IMR 4350 powder in 120 and 100 grain pellets.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Dufur,

My apologies to you. I didn't mean to hijack your thread and will try to see it doesn't happen in the future. Many Mea Culpas. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i think your problem is cleaning your gun to much. with to days smokless powder you do not have to clean the barrel as much as you think. i have a 25-06 that i clean the barrel
once a year if iam lucky and you would be surprised the diferene it makes.

Posts: 46 | Location: Friendship,Wis. USA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one in Ruger 77V. Very goot shooter and kills things dead. Recoil isnt bad, My wife will shoot a box of 117 Grns at a time.

Posts: 227 | Location: Bakersfield Ca. USA | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A little more from me on the 25-06, my best loads were always with the IMR 4350 powder and CCI Benchrest primers. I always file/trimmed my brass and shot the same brand of brass. If the brass started breaking down from being loaded too many times, I'd replace it all and away we would go again.

My gun had a 1-10 twist and absolutely loved the Sierra 100 grain flat base...would not shoot a boattail anywhere near as well.

ALSO I SHOOT FREE-FLOATED BARREL. For repeatitive shooting, I would not be in favor of a non-floated barrel. I realize many people have glass bedded their barrels with good luck but I have had just as good of luck with free floating at a cost of about $1 per job...the cost of a couple sheets of sandpaper.

At any rate, I wish ya luck with the 25-06. I know it is a very good and potent cartridge that will drop-em-dead in their tracks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried different bullet seating depths. 10 thou out to 30 in 5 thou increments (from the rifling). I use the stoney point thingy. (I forget what it's called). The homeade way of using a fired case w/slightly crimped mouth to lightly hold your bullet works just as well though. I plan on getting back to the reloading bench in a couple weeks when work slows down a little. Everyone has made some good suggestions so I will try some things and see how it shoots. Thankyou all for the valuable input.

Posts: 69 | Location: Milwaukie, Oregon | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my 257 roy is a UL and i ended up bedding the whole barrel. it shoots the facory 100 horny sp and the xxx very well.
you might consider FL bedding the barrel. it is the only thing you haven't done on the rifle.
try the xxx also. they have shot in all calibers i have tried.....
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote