New
Find
Notify
Tools

ZKK601 223 or 222
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are these like? Seem fairly rare, although they are about. Are they noticeably heavier than a fox or 527? I’d quite like a CRF 223/222 but I really hate detachable mags, wasn’t aware of 601s being an option til now

Posts: 122 | Location: Australia - NSW | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a 601 in .223 and a Fox in .222. The fox is lighter than the 601 - about the same weight as my Fox with steel rings and a scope. The 601 has a European style stock and shoots as well as, if not better than the .222.

Posts: 46 | Location: SE British Columbia | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WJW:
Have a 601 in .223 and a Fox in .222. The fox is lighter than the 601 - about the same weight as my Fox with steel rings and a scope. The 601 has a European style stock and shoots as well as, if not better than the .222.
thanks WJW. Do you feel the extra bulk of the ZKK is excessive or is it a small enough difference to not be an issue? I’m seriously considering selling my Mauser 4000 and tracking down a ZKK

Posts: 122 | Location: Australia - NSW | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brnomauser:
What are these like? Seem fairly rare, although they are about. Are they noticeably heavier than a fox or 527? I’d quite like a CRF 223/222 but I really hate detachable mags, wasn’t aware of 601s being an option til now

I settled on a Sako A1 in 222. Was as close as possible to a CRF mini action I could find.

I do like the ZKK series. However, they seemed to be suited to slightly larger calibres. Saw two stunning examples which I really wanted to purchase in 300wsm and 7mm-08. Seems perfect for those ‘short’ cartridges.

Currently working on a set with the following:

BRNO 22LR
ZKK600 - 7x57
ZKK602 - 375 H&H
ZKK601 - 325WSM

Posts: 388 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MD375:

I settled on a Sako A1 in 222. Was as close as possible to a CRF mini action I could find.

I do like the ZKK series. However, they seemed to be suited to slightly larger calibres. Saw two stunning examples which I really wanted to purchase in 300wsm and 7mm-08. Seems perfect for those ‘short’ cartridges.

Currently working on a set with the following:

BRNO 22LR
ZKK600 - 7x57
ZKK602 - 375 H&H
ZKK601 - 325WSM
nice aspirations - that’s an awesome set. Have you handled a 601 in 223? Sakos are nice but they don’t quite do it for me. Other ones I’m look at are BSA Hunters - again not common but they are around. Also possibly the Ruger M77 and Zavasta M85, although neither of these particular appeal to me. Any reason you didn’t go for a fox or 527? Or do you dislike detachable magazines like me?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 601 is a .308 length action and weight wise it is quite light - about the same as the light version of the .222 length BSA Royal which has a heavier barrel.

Bill

Posts: 46 | Location: SE British Columbia | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brnomauser:
nice aspirations - that’s an awesome set. Have you handled a 601 in 223? Sakos are nice but they don’t quite do it for me. Other ones I’m look at are BSA Hunters - again not common but they are around. Also possibly the Ruger M77 and Zavasta M85, although neither of these particular appeal to me. Any reason you didn’t go for a fox or 527? Or do you dislike detachable magazines like me?

I have not handled a 601 in 223. Mine was a 308.

Only reason I did not go for a fox or 527 was purely cosmetic and aesthetic. I just cannot warm up to the detachable mags on a bolt action. My intention on the sako was to add a obendorf style bottom metal and a LaPour 3 pos safety. Sadly, I could not get those parts.

Posts: 388 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a ZKK 601 in .222 Rem. I like it very much. Accurate, well balanced, well made. Better quality than the FOX ( which I've only looked at) or 527 which I've also owned. I've also owned a coupe of Sako L461 vixen .222 rifles and they compare quite well in my opinion, except the Sako has slightly nicer and smaller proportions. The ZKK action is optimally sized for .308 family of cartridges, but is not too large for the .222. My only concern is that the stock was not a good fit for me with a scope mounted on the rifle. I have a new stock made by Hatcher's in Australia that is waiting for final finishing. It will make the rifle a perfect light stalking rifle for my purposes.

Posts: 234 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 601 is a .308 length action and weight wise it is quite light - about the same as the light version of the .222 length BSA Royal which has a heavier barrel.

Bill

That’s a good point, I assumed a BSA Hunter would be scaled for a 222 but maybe it’s in the same boat as a 601… and I can see the barrel profile would be the dominant factor regarding weight
quote:
Originally posted by MD375:
I have not handled a 601 in 223. Mine was a 308.

Only reason I did not go for a fox or 527 was purely cosmetic and aesthetic. I just cannot warm up to the detachable mags on a bolt action. My intention on the sako was to add a obendorf style bottom metal and a LaPour 3 pos safety. Sadly, I could not get those parts.
yeah it’s really disappointing they made the fox and 527 with detachable mags - ruins them IMO. Still you’ve got a nice rifle now - was someone making those parts?

quote:
Originally posted by Longwalker:
I have a ZKK 601 in .222 Rem. I like it very much. Accurate, well balanced, well made. Better quality than the FOX ( which I've only looked at) or 527 which I've also owned. I've also owned a coupe of Sako L461 vixen .222 rifles and they compare quite well in my opinion, except the Sako has slightly nicer and smaller proportions. The ZKK action is optimally sized for .308 family of cartridges, but is not too large for the .222. My only concern is that the stock was not a good fit for me with a scope mounted on the rifle. I have a new stock made by Hatcher's in Australia that is waiting for final finishing. It will make the rifle a perfect light stalking rifle for my purposes.
very good feedback, sounds like it’s a good thing. Was yours rebarreled from 223? What was wrong with the stock - too much drop? I hope the Hatcher stock goes well, what style? I had him make one for me for a 98.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kimber of America made CRF rifles in .223 (I have one of their SuperAmerica walnut-stocked versions) in the 1990s. They are hard to find here in the US and unfortunately I imagine harder to find in Australia. They are trim and scaled down actions. Mine has been reliable and accurate.

Posts: 230 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The BSA Royal is scaled to the .222 cartridge and came in regular and light weight versions.

Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S. Texan:
Kimber of America made CRF rifles in .223 (I have one of their SuperAmerica walnut-stocked versions) in the 1990s. They are hard to find here in the US and unfortunately I imagine harder to find in Australia. They are trim and scaled down actions. Mine has been reliable and accurate.

That’s a good point, I was dimly aware of these but had never looked into them. Quite possibly the ultimate 222 action, but I’ve never seen one on the used market here and I shouldn’t think I’d find one I could afford if I did…

quote:
The BSA Royal is scaled to the .222 cartridge and came in regular and light weight versions.

Bill
Royal is pushfeed isn’t it? The CRF Hunter isn’t scaled down - just shorter from what people say, ie bolt body is same diameter as regular size

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S. Texan:

First Stop Guns, in Rapid City, has a few with express sights. Pricey, but they are rare.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Royal is a controlled feed - early 1950s followed by the Majestic in the late 1950's, the Monarch in the 1960's and then the CF-2. From memory, the .222 Majestic and later Models I have seen were built on .308 length actions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]very good feedback, sounds like it’s a good thing. Was yours rebarreled from 223? What was wrong with the stock - too much drop? I hope the Hatcher stock goes well, what style? I had him make one for me for a 98.[/QUOTE]
Mine is with a factory original barrel in .222. Stock has too much drop to be ideal with scope, but is perfect for me with the pop-up peep sight. The Hatcher stock is the light English stalking rifle style, similar to a Rigby.

Posts: 234 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote