New
Find
Notify
Tools

.222 Improved?
 Login/Join

<swifter>
posted
Thinking seriously about rebarreling my deuce, and ran across a reference to an Improved in Ackley's book. Thing is, it is almost a passing mention of the Kilbourn Improved, apparently Ackley did no work on it. It appears typical, minimal body taper, 40* shoulder, etc.

Anyone have any experience with this?
How about reamers?
TIA,
Tom

<Don Martin29>
posted
I suppose with a mild .22 like that it's not a real problem fireforming and wearing the bbl. You may want to shoot them for fun anyway. I have a few improved cartridges and most of the time it's just done for amusement. In the case of the .219 Improved Zipper however there is a big improvment.

Of course you know that a .223 would be easier.

I would stay with a standard cartridge. For instance even the .222 Rem Mag would make more sense.

<swifter>
posted
I suppose I should have said: "I'm pretty experienced with AI cartridges, and I know there are several other options..." I'm looking for a bit more velocity. I do not like the .223.
The .222 Magnum is on my short list, too.
Tom

<Don Martin29>
posted
I don't like the .223 either. BTW I met Lysle Kilbourn years ago. He was at the Lyman Gunsite in Middlefield, CT at that time.

Consider a 22-250 (which you may already have). I now load my hot .22's with what I call "hornet" loads that are made up with 40 gr bullets and a appropiate charge of IMR 4759. I use mag. primers with these loads. They produce about 2700 fps and are fine for offhand shots and places where you want to keep the noise down.

When a long shot is presented the .220 Swift class is really superior to the smaller cartridges.