New
Find
Notify
Tools

gun names
 Login/Join

<bullseye>
posted
Alot of folks,including myself,like to name their firearms.I have a 220 Swift I call Vicious and a 300 Weatherby I call Thunder.Just wondering if anyone wants to share their guns caliber and name?

<Pistolero in NM>
posted
I have a 222 named Mighty Mouse, 22-250 named Rachel and a 280 named Sara. Haven't decided on the others. I had a hillbilly buddy who's Pa used to carry a 44 Single action he called Friendly

one of us
posted Hide Post
I call my Lazzeroni 9.53 the "African Queen".

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Mouskie>
posted
I have a 1948 Remington Model Eleven auto I call: "Miss Fire"

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to own an AR-15 (pre-ban) that a previous owner had engraved his name on the RHS of the lower receiver on the magazine well and his driver�s license number on the LHS above the serial number. I called him �Larry� in honor of the fellow. I sold the gun back to the guy I bought it from and paid for half my tuition one semester (not Larry).

A word of advice: Don�t show big black guns to any girls you like the first time they come over to you apartment!

Posts: 90 | Location: Pullman, WA, USA | Registered: 03 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've know those who could have named their new, expensive guns "divorce" or "last straw". Following that, the blank space in the vault could be called "alimony".

Hint for domestic tranquility: As all guns look alike to most spouses, tell her you only have 3 guns and never let her see more than that at one time. She'll be suspicious, but willing to dismiss such suspicions if supplied with periodic gifts and unexpected nicities.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<abnrigger>
posted
A friend of mine calls his 7mm Rem Mag Ol'Hungry.
I have a pair of custom model 70 Winchesters in 7mm Rem mag and .300 Win mag that I call Lil' sis' and Big' Sis'.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I call my big 8X68S Mauser66 B�rent�ter (Bearkiller). [Roll Eyes]
HKW

Posts: 212 | Location: Hamburg-north of Germany | Registered: 24 June 2002Reply With Quote
<aim4thefur>
posted
I have a Ruger 77/22 VHZ Hornet I used to call "you @$%^%$#" till I reamed it into a K-Hornet. I also had a Ford F-150 by the same name. I reamed it into a Dodge.

Rick

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
I call my old Rem 700ADL UGLY!

Ugly with a Capital U.

Ugly as all get out.

Gets the job done, though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a custom .450 Marlin on the way...going to call it "Baby-Boomer".

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've given my 375H&H's (M70 and Encore) nicknames: Ruff (the rifle) and Puff (the pistol)....

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn, and I thought sniffing gunpowder and hoppes #9 was weird! [Eek!]

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol' Sarge:
I call my old Rem 700ADL UGLY!

Ugly with a Capital U.

Ugly as all get out.

Gets the job done, though.

He must be related to the only gun in my collection which bears a name: UGO. it's a single shot 45/70 built on an old french military action wedded with a gattling gun barrel, helin place on a heavily modified moison/nagant stock which i painted. wears remington M700 factory iron sights...lives up to its name a little too well...shoot nice though

[ 08-07-2002, 04:00: Message edited by: Curtis_Lemay ]

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Anything in my household over $1500 get's a name. Keeps it easier to justify the spending!
Henrik
PS: That'll be only two guns, A Remington Rolling Block in 500 Nitro Express named: The Elephant Gun (145 grains of BP behind a 875 grain boolit!), and a 11,7x51R Danish Carbine, called: Big Roar (70 grains of BP in just 22" of barrel!).

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a big "name giver" but somehow never named any of my rifles or pistols. I always called my tennis racket "Excaliber," which was a hell of a joke no better than I played tennis.

A dear departed friend of mine had a 30/30 single shot he called "Zip" and he drove a brass tack in the stock for each deer he killed with it. Lord only knows how many tacks were in the stock!

Now it's gonna worry me to death until I come up with names for all my guns. Thanks a lot guys! [Mad]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I have a 300 win mag ruger 77 named black death and a 458 win mag I call thumper. I once had a 270 that a buddy of mine named bunny hugger ,I never did shoot anything with that rifle. I dont recommend greenie names for hunting rifles.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:
458 win mag I call thumper.

Thumper is the name of my .45-70. Even have it engraved on the side. Jeff [Big Grin]

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos, I'm reminded of my uncle, who named all his farm dogs Bob. Easy to remember, and they all came when he called, so it worked out well for him. He said that the original Bob was a guy he was in the war with, I never got more of the story then that, too bad. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Rem. M700 in 17 Remington, named "Big 17." Thats not for the size of the bore, but for the size of the whole it leaves in Jack Rabbits! [Big Grin]

Posts: 82 | Location: Gardnerville, Nevada | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I call my 257 Weatherby the "goat". Dammed thing eats every spare dollar I have.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A fellow I used to hunt with had a rifle he called "The Organ Grinder". It was the uglyest rifle I have ever seen. To start with it was/is a rough old 03a3 springfield/parkerized. The stock is one of those wierd Herter's, a rollover cheeckpiece in birdeye maple. It was topped off with that stupid lightening bolt white line spacing they used on the forend tip, grip cap, and butt plate.
The finish is warn off the pistol grip and forend and the maple has turned sort of black there. The rifle looks like he drags it behind his truck when ever he go hunting. Still he cleans the barrel and makes sure it is sighted in. Says he dosn't want to baby it. Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I have a Rock River AR enroute with GREEN furniture. Given its stubby overall length and green hue, I've considered calling it The Gherkin.

Redial

Never mind what it would be called if I were yanking the trigger....

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
My J.P. Sauer double 8X60RS is named "Brumbaer"!! It is a German, of course. I also have a .50 Hawken with a Bill Large barrel, named "Old Bear Grease", and so inscribed on the breech by the maker himself!! [Big Grin]

<T. D. Clevenger>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by aim4thefur:
I have a Ruger 77/22 VHZ Hornet I used to call "you @$%^%$#" till I reamed it into a K-Hornet. I also had a Ford F-150 by the same name. I reamed it into a Dodge.

Rick

VERY good post. You're quite a guy!
T.D.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A bunch of us pheasant hunters named one of the guns "death ray" because the owner shot the old Browning Auto-5 so well. It spoke, the bird fell. He taped the stock together with black electrical tape when it started coming apart and shot it for five more seasons before getting a new stock!

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
I named my buddy's Remington 22-250 Sendero for him. We were shooting groups at 100 yards, and a fly landed on the target. I challenged him to hit it, which he did. He has the target cut out, with the fly guts around the hole, in a frame in his reloading room.

The rifle's name is "fly swatter." [Smile]

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I've got a Blue S&W in 44 Mag, I call it SAM. Signed: David B.,,,,,,,,,,,JUST KIDDING

[ 08-18-2002, 14:46: Message edited by: TC1 ]

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never named a gun before but have called a few names when they wouldn't work properly.

Posts: 19420 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine in a muzzleloader club I was in named my 54 "farspeaker" after I shot two deer with it at over 200 yards with open sights. I also won the clubs long range turkey shoot.
My 243 was named by another friend. I used it to shoot a buck at pretty long range. Since there were two bucks together and the other never ran I gave the gun to him and told him the hold over. He killed that one, and said this gun is a "death ray" we all had a big laugh and since then it is called "death ray"
Ron

[ 08-18-2002, 19:18: Message edited by: Idaho Ron ]

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never could name a gun as they tend to change sex a lot, don't matter what gun it is, depending on the shot it is either a "good boy" or a "miserable bitch".

Seems I have more girls than boys!!!!!

John

[ 08-18-2002, 22:06: Message edited by: JAYB ]

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
7mm RM A-Bolt "Heart Attack" (every shot on game has been a heart shot)
45-70 Marlin "Thumper" (I never claimed originality)
30-30 Win 94 "Baby"
The Austrian twins; StG 58s "Helga" & "Inga"
FAL(Imbel)Carbine "Truck Bitch"
AR15 "Squirrel Molester"
Kimber 1911 "Big Mouth Buddy"

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The name is not original but all my 270's over the years have been called 'Old Betsy'

Posts: 104 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, there is Big Dog, Moose Dick, Girl's Gun, etc. When you got enough, you can't call them by caliber any more.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote