Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Creedmoor - why?
 Login/Join

posted
What makes it better than a .260 Remington in a bolt gun for hunting or target?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
There's a feature article in this month's American Rifleman- part of the advantage is the sharp shoulder, which should make for more efficient propellant burn. Also noted is a slightly longer neck than the 260, which, presumably, should give better bullet-to-throat alignment.
They also note that there is more retained energy at 800 yds that he.308 win.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The most serious advantages are in factory ammo quality and mindshare. Remember, only a small percentage of shooters reload, so they'll gravitate to cartridges with inexpensive high quality factory ammo.

Don't underestimate the mindshare thing either. Hot products create their own ecosystems which in turn foster the adoption of those products, creating a cycle of success.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input.

I'm familiar with "mindshare" (aka 'fanboi syndrome') and have managed to resist it (mostly). Notable examples are "Glock Perfection", the .404 Jeffery craze, the .458 Lott craze, "Blaser disease", et al.

Except for availability of factory ammunition, the other pluses provide theoretical benefits. I'd never shoot a non-magnum out to 800yds. (well, maybe a .25-06).

A rifle I find interesting has appeared and I was curious about the round.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go ahead George and order the new left hand Ruger Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. Cool
Be like the rest of us lefty rifle loonies who buy one just because Wink

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You're an enabler of the first magnitude. Big Grin

My safe is overflowing as it is! Cool

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was just given a new Eliseo Tube Gun chassis which I really don't know what to do with. I chambered up a Palma taper Shilen at 27" in the 6.5 Creedmoor. Have a Jewell trigger on a squared receiver and a one piece PT&G bolt with a M 16 extractor and a .062 firing pin. I want to Melonite the barrel and that will be the hold up.
Probably be the first of November before I will shoot it. I do have Norma and Lapua brass. I have some factory Prime rounds that are supposed to be Norma and the box says made by RUAG-AMMOTEC in Sweden. They are 130 grain and supposed to be at 2850fps.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The primary design motivation for the Creed is to avoid COAL constraints with High B.C. (read long) bullets in short action magazines. The .260 Rem doesn't run some of the current long range bullets well because of this; it can't fit in short action magazines without certain bullets being so deep into the case that the bullet ogive is below the case mouth. The Creed avoids this and gives just about the same case capacity as the .260. Second it is specced with the right twist to handle these bullets.

If you don't care to shoot bullets like the new 147 gr. ELD-M or similar then It does't matter one bit which you choose.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My cheap little savage model 11 260 Remington rifles I have two shoot awesome.I use 308 brass which is easy to find and cheap once fired which you can't say for the 6.5 cred.It's a gun writer trick.like the short mags to get you to buy something you don't need .My cheap 260 shoots under an inch at 200 yards and sometimes 300 yards with lapua bullets .It's awesome easy to make but hornady who's brass sucks wants to make alot of Monet so they make cartridges you can't make from anything else .The 6'5 creed comes from the 30 tc cartridge .If you remember the last oboma ammo shortage no brass or ammo .You can always get 308 or 243 brass but no tc30 .Gun writers trick you into buying something you don't need Remember the ultra mags still no brass hardly for them .I.like the 260 Remington awesome cartridge easy to make accurate .

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No tricks just a well designed case using the same techniques P.O. Ackley made popular in a more compact case with a little longer neck to hold 140+gr. bullets. It is better for a short action and enjoys great factory support.

Remington did not design the .260 it just necked down the .308 and offered it as a hunting round. Lots of people were doing that with success before Remington decided to offer it. It is a shame that they didn't give anyone credit for the work they took advantage of.

Your .260 Rem. is a fine cartridge and you should keep it if it works for you.

Joe

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
My cheap little savage model 11 260 Remington rifles I have two shoot awesome.I use 308 brass which is easy to find and cheap once fired which you can't say for the 6.5 cred.It's a gun writer trick.like the short mags to get you to buy something you don't need .My cheap 260 shoots under an inch at 200 yards and sometimes 300 yards with lapua bullets .It's awesome easy to make but hornady who's brass sucks wants to make alot of Monet so they make cartridges you can't make from anything else .The 6'5 creed comes from the 30 tc cartridge .If you remember the last oboma ammo shortage no brass or ammo .You can always get 308 or 243 brass but no tc30 .Gun writers trick you into buying something you don't need Remember the ultra mags still no brass hardly for them .I.like the 260 Remington awesome cartridge easy to make accurate .

Brass or ammo for the 6.5 Creedmoor is now a non issue. I have seen ammo for sale in our local Wal Marts. Besides, any shooter or hand loader worth their salt knows to buy a good supply of ammo or brass for each new caliber they pick up. In addition, pretty much all of the big online retailers have it in stock.

After looking on Gunbrokers I see new Savage model 11's selling for $500 and up. The new left hand Ruger Predator in 6.5 can be picked up for as low as $410 shipped.

Not everything new needs to be discarded. I own rifles in 7mm/08 and 260. The main reason I purchased a 6.5 was because Ruger is offering it in left hand for a great price in a rifle with a good track record.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
The most serious advantages are in factory ammo quality and mindshare. Remember, only a small percentage of shooters reload, so they'll gravitate to cartridges with inexpensive high quality factory ammo.

Don't underestimate the mindshare thing either. Hot products create their own ecosystems which in turn foster the adoption of those products, creating a cycle of success.

That is very perceptive. The target shooting market moved from 30 caliber a long time ago, while the 308 round is still a very accurate round, it kicks. Trends that I have seen, when the AR15 took over NRA Across the course in the mid nineties, not only as service rifle but as a match rifle, the 308 Win round rapidly disappeared from the firing line. Tom Whittaker was the last to use a 308 Win, in 1996, to win the Camp Perry XTC Nationals. Since that period a lot of experimentation went on with rounds that would feed through a AR15 but were ballistically better. There were 6mm rounds, there were 6.5 mm rounds. Match rifle shooters, that is bolt gunners, experimented with rounds longer than the 223, but not by much.

But, across the course has faded and of the shooting sports out there, F Class is growing. There you shoot single shot, prone, with a scope. Cartridge length is not important as you are not working the bolt firing rapid fire. Early in F class, there were guys trying the biggest, baddest rounds, belted magnums and the such. They made a lot of noise, were objectionable to be around, and had a lot of recoil. I think the recoil is what did them in. It is very hard to shoot accurately when you are flinching. Something else, while the 243 cartridge (6mm) is very accurate, high ballistic, you will shoot the barrel out somewhere at 800 rounds. Long range shooters are pushing the things as fast as they can go, so your rifle will spend more time at the gunsmith than on the range, with high pressure 6mm rounds. The 6.5 mm rounds, guys were telling me around 1400 rounds, but, they were shooting some lower pressure mid range loads. Typically a 308 barrel is replace around 3000 rounds, might go a little longer.

The popularity of accurate target cartridges less than 308 caliber has more or less paralleled the increase in number of F Class shooters. These guys want to shoot at 1000 yards, or further, don’t want a lot of recoil, want flat shooting and high ballistic bullets. There still is experimentation around the 6mm and 7mm bullets but is seems there is a convergence at 6.5 mm, and it is all due to a combination of accuracy, great bullets, barrel life, and recoil.

I think the 6.5 Creedmore just happened to be the right cartridge at the right time. It is a fine cartridge, was developed for paper punching, not hunting. It caught the “mindshare” at just the right moment. It does not hurt it one bit that it is a factory round, you can buy ammunition fully loaded. No weird wildcatting or case forming from a parent cartridge, nope, it is all there ready to go.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I guess if you can't take the recoil of the 6.5x284
then the 6.5 creedmoore is an option. stir sofa stir

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
I guess if you can't take the recoil of the 6.5x284
then the 6.5 creedmoore is an option. stir sofa stir

I don't believe that the recoil is the reason to change. Barrel life, great brass,inherent accuracy, and yes recoil.
Some people cannot afford 3 or 4 barrels a year if you compete much.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Butch what I DO like about the 6.5 creed is that I can cut the chamber MUCH quicker than a 6.5x284
which means a greater profit for me. As they say "time is money". Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup,
It is a little quicker.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a ruger number 1 in it.

I did not buy a blaser in it.

I think it is fun gun for the range. I would hunt with .308 as I like heavier bullets.

Match ammo in both 6.5 and 308 is around $26-30 a box.

Like the 300 blackout I think this will be around.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will toss in this idea: I think the Creed is probably the ideal new hunter caliber. It's a step up from the .243 in performance without there being much of a recoil hit. That, plus inexpensive, high quality hunting ammo makes a very attractive combination.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
george you are forgetting the 11th commandment -
i want one, therefore i need one Big Grin clap

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Butch,

It's more the novelty of a left-hand action with threaded barrel.

I have several LH rifles between .243 and .30-06 that I'd use more often than a 6.5 Creedmoor, but their barrels aren't threaded (except for a Ruger Scout .308).

Las Vegas has no gunsmiths trustworthy enough to thread my barrels.

George

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
stir JMHO! The 6.5 Creed popularity is predicated in good marketing and the need for more toys! claproger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Like every new/re-discovered cartridge, they don't do anything not already covered by other rounds.

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a nephew that will be 13 next year, and he's a lefty. I'm eyeing that American Predator LH in 6.5mm Creedmor pretty hard as a gift for him.

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger American Predator would be a good choice in 6.5CM. It is offered left hand and is a lot of gun for the money. Though not interchangeable with the Savage it's barrel is the same principle. They are smooth and have a 70* bolt throw. They come with a lot of options that more expensive guns do at a modest price.

The Creedmoor enjoys the concept of being a factory chambering that is designed along the lines of a shortened 260AI. It has close to the same case capacity. It lays between the 6.5x47 Lapua and .260AI. If you do not want the challenges that come with a custom chambering then it is worth a close look. Longer barrel life and milder recoil are an added plus.

All the 6.5 cartridges have gained popularity because of their good natured forgiving virtues for both hunting and target shooting.

Joe

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Recoil is a non-issue for me. I shoot far bigger cartridges than the little 6.5.

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget that Lapua came out with the 6.5 x 47 first, and target shooters being cheap bastards, did not want to lay money out for expensive Lapua brass. Thus, the advent of the Creedmoor and along with it less expensive brass.

Alan

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alan W:
Don't forget that Lapua came out with the 6.5 x 47 first, and target shooters being cheap bastards, did not want to lay money out for expensive Lapua brass. Thus, the advent of the Creedmoor and along with it less expensive brass.

Alan

Hornady deserves a great deal of thanks. They lead the way for 'affordable'.

Their bullets are often half the price of similar offerings of their competition.

They find niche markets and jump in feet first with lower prices. Look at their DR ammo prices c/w Federal, who was the only game in town for years.

6.5 Creedmoor is just another feather in their cap.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well,
You can keep your Hornady brass. I have shot some Prime brass and I like it. My Prime was once fired factory ammo that I wanted while waiting for my Lapua. Just got 100 rounds of Lapua. I have a couple 6.5X47L and they shoot great.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barrel life in the 6.5x284 is not bad. It is horrible.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 Creedmoor is so yesterday, the cool people are moving to the 6 mm Creedmoor. I expect them the reintroduce the 30 TC as the 7.62 Creedmoor and it will suddenly be a winner.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
The 6.5 Creedmoor is so yesterday, the cool people are moving to the 6 mm Creedmoor. I expect them the reintroduce the 30 TC as the 7.62 Creedmoor and it will suddenly be a winner.

Scotty, I guess I ain't KOOL!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,
If you do buy the rifle try some of the Horndy whitetail ammo with the 129 gr interlock bullets. I read several posts of superb accuracy with this ammo and the Predator.
You can usually find it for about $20 a box. I plan on picking up about 5 boxes and giving it a try. Then will reload the brass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just another toy for men instead of boys. Its new and it will sell like hotcakes for awhile then back off because they will come out with another miracle of the gun world..I'll just keep my 6x45 and my 250 Savages..but then I've been thru this sceanario for 70 plus years or more..!! most of them died on the vine! flame BOOM beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Just another toy for men instead of boys. Its new and it will sell like hotcakes for awhile then back off because they will come out with another miracle of the gun world..I'll just keep my 6x45 and my 250 Savages..but then I've been thru this sceanario for 70 plus years or more..!! most of them died on the vine! flame BOOM beer

And some of us are also over 50, 60, etc and enjoy messing with new things. Don't know about you but I would be bored to death shooting the same guns and calibers all the time.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
quote:
Just another toy for men instead of boys. Its new and it will sell like hotcakes for awhile then back off because they will come out with another miracle of the gun world..I'll just keep my 6x45 and my 250 Savages..but then I've been thru this scenario for 70 plus years or more..!! most of them died on the vine! flame BOOM beer

And some of us are also over 50, 60, etc and enjoy messing with new things. Don't know about you but I would be bored to death shooting the same guns and calibers all the time.

oldI think you two are singing from the same song sheet, just different stanzas .
popcorn Boredom plays less of a role when you build wildcats. Also testing many different powders and bullets will fulfill your shooting needs. flameroger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I ordered one yesterday, and it should be at my LGS tomorrow. cuckoo

George

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a hunter,
Well maybe but don't forget the 5 MM Rem., the 225 Win. and the number of calibers recently dropped from the Rem and Winchester line of ammo..They really cleaned house..Its really hard trust these companies, if something doesn't sell they stop production of ammo, the new class of beancounters could care less..The old timers kept making ammo and bit the bullet, remember the 32 spec. 25-35, 35 Rem and others they stopped production on..Fortunatly other companies like Hornady jumped in recently started making some of the old ammo..

Snowwolfe,
Your right I got bored when I was a young man in his early 20s and again at about 50, but at 82 or 83 I find wildcatting boring as hell, as that pair of jeans has been washed to death and all we do anymore is remake the wheel with a different name.

Just my two bits. BTW I think the Creedmore is an excellent design, and compares to a 250 Savage or 257 Robts from a practicle standpoint, but I don't intend to buy one because I have the other two and a 6x45 (my only wildcat today)...

But hope the Creedmore is a raging success, can't have too many good calibers.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:

Snowwolfe,
Your right I got bored when I was a young man in his early 20s and again at about 50, but at 82 or 83 I find wildcatting boring as hell, as that pair of jeans has been washed to death and all we do anymore is remake the wheel with a different name.

Just my two bits. BTW I think the Creedmore is an excellent design, and compares to a 250 Savage or 257 Robts from a practicle standpoint, but I don't intend to buy one because I have the other two and a 6x45 (my only wildcat today)...

But hope the Creedmore is a raging success, can't have too many good calibers.

oldAlthough I agree for the most part that today's wildcats do't yield any real gain for the public they tend to intrigue me. I started designing Wilcats about 1957. My first attempt was a 6.5 on a stepped up .243 with a sharper shoulder and longer neck.The rifle was deep throated to faciitatethe 160 grain bullets It finally got built in 2010 by Vapo Dog. in the early 60s I designed and had built ,by Ackely, a
6.5 X .284.Since communication wasn't what we have today I thought perhaps I was the author of that cartridge.Right after I had Fred Barnes build me a 6mm x.270 Improved. Backing up a bit I had Elmer Spurger build me my 7 x 41 IMP, 7.62 X 41 IMP. .358x 41 . IMP and the .375 x 41 IMP . These were designed about 1959 but not built until 1981.
Winkaround 1994 my 8mm x 404 x 2.5" was built. My .375 X .404 IMP. was first fired in 1999.My last wildcat was the 22 JET Rimless built on a Ruger #1.If nothing else these have been my toys.
The Creedmore my be a neat design but it isn't any better than a modern day load in the 6.5 X 50 Arasaka, 6.5 X 53R, 6.5 Carcano, and 6.5x54. These cartridges are over 100 years old. The Creedmore will not kill anything any better than these old guys. The life of the Creedmore will last as long as there are guns sold for it and brass made. I sure don't see many of them at the range. What we do see increasing is semi - auto military type rifles. This being the case it would seem that the Grendle will have a longer life expectancy than the Creedmore. We'll see how long Hype and Marketing can keep it alive.
Whistling I'll be shooting a number of reduced loads in the 22PPC tomorrow using H-110 again.
holycow roger beer

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:

it's a very smart and efficient choice, even so much more than a .308...

Todd

Blasphemer!!!

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tactical shooting is the current upcoming shooting sport. This sport requires an accurate semi-auto with box magazine and a good scope if you want to be competitive. The lighter recoiling 6mm's are easier and faster to shoot and it doesn't take much energy to ring steel or put a hole in a target, and BC is not critical when shooting at a 24" gong at 600 yds. If tactical targets are shot at ranges longer than 600 yds. I haven't heard of it and targets are fairly large. A close friend of mine is a very good tactical shooter and he's shooting a 6 SLR with 115 Dtacs.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote