THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    7x57 - Craig Boddington, are you SERIOUS? Writers vs facts....
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 - Craig Boddington, are you SERIOUS? Writers vs facts....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suggest that those who want to talk-chat-brag about long range shooting, 300-500 yards and beyond, get into High Power rifle competition shooting using a .308 or .30-06, and study what it takes to keep every shot in the black, then extrapolate that same shooting to the game fields. It might open a few eyes and remove some of the bs. Consider what 1 MOA is at 500 yards, even 300 yards, the kill zone, and measure that against ballistic dispersion, and that super tight sling in prone position too. Makes a difference. Next, you need to try some serious varmint hunting, anything out beyond 250 yards, although ground squirrels at even 100 yards can be a challenge, assuming you aren't shooting from too much of a rest. Think about all the planning and effort that goes into a varmint shoot, and those solid sandbag rests, then think about shooting at moving big game at 300 yards +, possibly from a loose sling position or resting across a tree trunk, sticks, or the hood of a truck. There's a significant difference there guys. Like the man from "upstate SC" says "never let the facts get in the way of a good story."

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"I have always wondered why O’Connor, the ‘Father of the 270,’ always saddled up his beloved Eleanor with a 7x57 for EVERYTHING if the 270 Winc was so much better? Anyone else have any ideas about that??"

I believe the choice of the 7x57 was Eleanor's and not Jack's. IIRC,she once said that jack's 30-06 with steel buttplate kicked to much. Considering that the difference in recoil between the .270 and 30-06 is negligible, ( have both in matching rifles) she probably chose the 7x57 herself as the lesser of two evils.
Kind of like my wife. The .243 is just fine but "the .257 Bob kicks too damn hard." her words. Yet she also shoots a Ruger 77 RSI in .308 and it's just fine. Go figure. Ity's a female thing I guess.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished reading a book about an African elephant hunter - Fred Everett. He shot hundreds of elephants and buff with a 7x57 using 174gr solids. He got real close and fired brain or heart shots. He graduated up to the .404 Jeffery when he could. His comment on guns was - shoot what you shoot the straightest and "bigger is better" provided you shoot it well.

My son shoots a .243 are nearly everything and is spot on for accuracy. Biggest to date is a kudu with a heart shot.

I have read most of what Boddington has written and I tend to agree with him on most things - even the 7x57 article and the .270 article. But in reality, accuracy is the issue not the caliber.

Fun to cuss and discuss however.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote