New
Find
Notify
Tools

204 Ruger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone own one and have any thoughts on this caliber.

I will use it mainly as a fun target gun.

The alternative is a threaded 223 barrel but I have numerous 223.

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like mine. Real easy to load for. Have a Howa and an Encore barrel. Encore likes 32gr and Howa likes 40gr. These are VMaxes. A joy to shoot.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two Rem 700s in 204. Both are custom guns with Shilen barrels and mcmillan stocks. One is a heavy barrel used for PDs, the other a sporter used for coyotes. I have owned other Rem 700s in 204 and they were quite accurate.
It is a terrific cartridge in my view.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2647 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting one since before reloading components were available. I consider mine the best varmint cartridge that I have ever shot and I've shot out the barrels of 6mm Remingtons and 22-250's. All I shoot now is prairie dogs and I shoot a heavy bullet 243 or a 6.5 for shots over 350 yds. 243 barrel life is way too short for my liking. I'm happy with my 204 out to 400 yds.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my .204 Savage FCV, but if I were going to do it again I'd spend the extra $$ and get a Savage LRPV.

My FCV favors the 39 grain Sierra Blitz King with either H-4895 or Varget. At long range, the BK is more accurate and flat shooting than lighter bullets. And it handles wind better.

It's death and destruction on ground squirrels, and the recoil is so light you can see your hits and misses.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to have a TC Encore barrel in 204R and it was a joy to shoot and easy to load for, but I lived in SW Kansas when I owned it and the prairie wind played real havoc with the light bullets shooting PDs very far. If you live somewhere other than the wind capitol of the world you will grin till your cheeks hurt shooting a 204.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys
I have a CZ527 varmint and love it.I agree with B L O'Connor the Sierra 39gr Blitz King is the best of all the bullets I've tried.
Take care. Bill

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only downfall of the 204 is wind. On a calm day it is hot on the heels of my swift. Folds coyotes way better than you would think.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a .204, but do have both a .20 Vartarg (.20 Fireball) and a .20 Tactical (.20/.223 with minor case mods). For sheer fun I like shooting the .20 Vartarg, which tosses a 32 grain pill at 3400 fps with just a smidgeon of powder and rather low report. The .20 Tactical (which is virtually the equivalent of the .204 Ruger in velocity) provides just a little more range at the expense of more powder and noise, but still is superior to the .243's and 6mm's I used to shoot at longer range prairie dogs. Wind may push the little .204 bullets a bit further off course, but you'll have to compensate for wind with any caliber. If you have to hold off four inches with a 6mm but six inches with a .204, so what? Neither will hit with a dead-on hold and either will hit with the proper hold-off.

Unlike the .17's I've had no trouble with excessive bore fouling in my .20's. And, the less powder you shoot the longer the bore stays clean and the slower it heats. That's why the Vartarg gets more use, but like any rifle, it has its limits.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...9411043/m/4711078031

I have used most of the small caliber rifles and my favorite is the 20 cal. I have made 17-22's and the 204 Ruger is a fun gun to hunt critters. We shot a 220 Swift and found that we had to hold over about the same amount as the 204's.

I had to rebarrel the 204 Ruger in the write up and used the old barrel to fit up to an AR15. I quit using the 17 Rem and now have three 204 caliber rifles to use when I get back to shooting pretty soon. I wish that I had made the AR15 barrel into a 20 Tactical, but I had the 204 Ruger reamer.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .204 is one of my favorite calibers. I have a Ruger 77, a Savage 11, and just recently built an AR version with a Wilson Combat match barrel. The AR shoots the 40 gr. Hornady's exceptionally well so I have not experimented with working up any other loads for it.

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of praise, and glad all are happy with the 204 but why, what does it have to offer over what we have had for ions...I see it as just another caliber in a class of many, but Ive never owned one or shot one and for this very reason, its just more of the same..If Im wrong convience me and I'll join the 204 club. I would have had to have one in my youth, like so many others anything new was a had to have, these days Im a skeptic I guess..been duked too many times by the firearms companies... sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Lots of praise, and glad all are happy with the 204 but why, what does it have to offer...

I'm in agreement here. In terms of ballistics, it doesn't do anything that can't be done better with a larger bullet. Ironically, the 204 is also usually more expensive to shoot. I have the same opinion about the 17 calibers too. The bullets are more expensive and I'd need to get a special cleaning rod to boot. For cheap/fun shooting, 22cal is hard to beat.

A friend has a 204 that he got a good deal on. It shoots well, but he's hoping the barrel burns out soon so he can put something else on. If you want a 20cal, I would suggest the 20-223. Easy and cheap to get brass and the rounds fit in a variety of guns/magazines made for the 223.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you have owned or shot these small caliber rifles I don't see why the down play that they get. I have shot 17's since 1961. Now I shoot the 204's with the 39 gr bullets.

If there is no need for these small caliber rifles why are you shooting large bullets to kill small deer. The 3006 will kill anything in this part of the world. I would compare these small caliber rifles to the sport cars. They are small and fast!! IF you think slow and large bullets are the only way why are you driving a new pickup truck instead of the 1929 model A Ford?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger No 1 in .204; I used the washer trick to float the forearm and I am quite happy with its accuracy.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot air rifles in .177, 5mm(.20 cal), and .22 cal. I consider the .20 cal as the best of both worlds between the .177 and .22 and years before the .204 Ruger, I thought a .20 cal centerfire rifle would be neat. I like the CZ because of it's weight, but can't get past the backwards safety to buy one. What would a .204 Ruger do that my .223's and .222's do? Probably nothing, but I think I'd like one.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
. . . What would a .204 Ruger do that my .223's and .222's do? Probably nothing, but I think I'd like one.
The 204's recoil is very mild and I can see bullet splashes more easily than with my .223s. I value this when shooting ground squirrels. Chunkage is more easily spotted, too! Big Grin

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's it--no more harsh recoil from my .222 and .223.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
The only downfall of the 204 is wind. On a calm day it is hot on the heels of my swift. Folds coyotes way better than you would think.

40 gr .204 bullets have a better BC than either .224 or .243 varmint weight bullets.

That translates into better wind resistance.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:
40 gr .204 bullets have a better BC than either .224 or .243 varmint weight bullets.

From what I can see they have the same BC as 50-55gr 22 caliber stuff, and cost the same or more. The popularity of 22cal means there are many more options and prices are often better.

.204 39gr sierra BK .270G1 -- .224 55gr sierra BK .271G1
.204 40gr hornady vmax .275G1 -- .224 53gr hornady vmax .290G1
.204 40gr nosler BT .239G1 -- .224 50gr nosler BT .238G1 -- .243 55gr nolser BT .276G1

Know how fast you can push a 55gr bullet in a regular old fashioned 243?

Maybe if they were half the price I could see an advantage, but I'm not seeing it. I've shot the 204 ruger, and it works fine. I would not buy one for myself though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a couple 204's (and 17's) and love being able to blow the snot out of a pd and see it in the scope

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i have a couple 204's (and 17's) and love being able to blow the snot out of a pd and see it in the scope
That's why I love it! Great chunkage and you can see and enjoy the exploding ground squirrels undisturbed by recoil! What's not to love?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's it--no more harsh recoil from my .222 and .223.
Harsh recoil? I was talking about optimizing visualization of my hits and misses! I've found it's easier to spot for bullet strikes with my .204 than with my .223s.

The recoil of neither caliber is "harsh" (sarcasm noted) but one is less than the other and seeing chunkage makes shooting my .204 particularly enjoyable to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BLO'Connor--Thanks for the input---my harsh recoil was humor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
BLO'Connor--Thanks for the input---my harsh recoil was humor.
Fair 'nuff. It's hard for me to tell sometimes and I've been known over react.

I'll lift a beer or 2 for you tonight! beer Hic! Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
True, a .20 caliber won't do anything in the varminting field that any number of centerfire .22's will not do, but then neither will the .22's do anything that a 6mm or .25-06 won't also do.

The difference is that a .20 will do it quieter, with less powder, and with less recoil to disturb your sight picture. Until the prairie dogs get out well past 300 yards I prefer my diminuative .20 Vartarg to anything larger.

But mainly the best rationale for owning a .20 caliber is to have a flimsy but adequate justification for buying yet another rifle Big Grin

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never shot one myself. I have a friend who has one. He absolutely loves it.

Posts: 12098 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to try something different use the Nikon P-223 3X9X40 BDC 600. There is a AP from Nikon called Spot On and it can be used on almost all calibers to compare results between any load for the 204 Ruger or other calibers.

Small caliber rifles are much more fun to use in the field if you are carrying on the shoulders. Try using a large bore rifle with lots of powder pushing a heavy bullets and you will be wanting a light recoil rifle. We ran a study of these calibers in the field. 17 Rem, 223, 22-250, 243 win, 220 Swift, and 25 06

You can miss just as well with any of these rifles if the range is past 300 yds. It is a guessing game on where to hold to hit the target. Wind, velocity , and range are all a factor. The 204 Ruger has the least amount of drop out to 500 yds. I will always be a small bore fan.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am really looking forward to getting the 204 tiger barrel for my blaser.

Thanks for all the info.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
I like mine, too. It is quiet, no recoil, and very accurate. IT's only weakness is that when you kill a groundhog w/ it, the groundhog cooperates by dying, but doesn't tell you he is dead. I end up shooting them twice.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a sporter and a heavy barrel.
Both very accurate Rem 700s
The heavy barrel gets PD work and is outstanding for that
The sporter is used on coyotes. It works well but if I could have only one coyote gun, it would be a bigger bullet.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2647 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I've aged myself, my favorite varmint round be it for P dogs or coyotes is my old Rem 722 or 600, both in .222 Rem..I do have a 6x45 SAko custom walk about 5 lb. varmint gun, but use it mostly for deer, antelope and for a fun gun..I remember the early craze for the 220 Swift with the 48 gr. factory ammo, man did a lot of deer bite the dust with that one, probably still do..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Ray if you were a little closer I'd just bring you my .204 and let you try it. What did you use before the .222? I've shot all of it back to the 25-20 single shot. If I could just have one rifle right now it would be the .204. I've seen less than 1/2" groups at 300 yds with a couple of 'em shooting Berger 40 grain bullets.

The first time my dad shot my 204 (and we have .222s, 22-250s and .243s) at a groundhog, with just the top of its head out just barely out of the hole, at the shot dad said that he thought he saw the top of its head fly apart. I said you probably did. We walked over there and the groundhog had slid back down the hole and the top of its head was just gone. His next rifle was a 204.

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Have the 204, use when calling varmints.