Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.222 rem
 Login/Join

posted
I am gettin a .222 on wednesday and IT is a Tikka with a stailess stell barrell a zeiss scope and i was wondering what everyone thought about this gun and calibre.

thnks Chris

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I think I'm jealous....... Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
DITTO Dutch!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ABHUNTER:
I am gettin a .222 on wednesday and IT is a Tikka with a stailess stell barrell a zeiss scope and i was wondering what everyone thought about this gun and calibre.

thnks Chris

If it is like the other Tikka's I've seen you will be pleased and the 222 is still a great little accurate cartridge that can be loaded to shoot accurately and factory ammo is often quite accurate in factory guns....I show IMR 4198 as a great powder in my old 222 load records with Rem 7 1/2 primers or Federal std. enjoy and good luck and good shooting!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Abhunter; I think you will like the 222 Rem. I have a Sako Vixen with 23.5 inch heavy barrel. It will frequently shoot one quarter inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards. I have only recently acquired this rifle and am still working on load development. My favorite load so far is 24.4 grains of Ball C 2 and Sierra 50 gr. Blitz King. I use R-P brass and WW standard small rifle primers. I have experimented with seating the bullet closer to the rifling but had better groups when seated to an overall length of 2.125 inches.Good luck with your new rifle....Jim

Posts: 19 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback keep it comin

Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love mine. It sure shoots better than I do. Try H322 with 52 grain Bergers or Bruno bullets. Mine seems to prefer a little heavier bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two 222's, 40X and 700 varmint. Excellent accuracy from both. With the right load you should be able to 1/2" or smaller groups all day long. I know a lot of guys will disagree, but there is virtually no difference between the 222 and the 223,except the fact that the 222 is a more accurate cartridge.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are six 222 Remingtons in the household,four of them Brownings made on Sako actions,and the other two are old Remington 722s.The least accurate of the bunch is one of the 722s which will put five into 3/4 inch at 100 yards from the bench.The most accurate one will put five consistently into .25 inch at 100 yards.The first group with that particular gun,including a fouling shot,measured .187 inch.Almost fouled myself when I saw the group.

Have never,ever heard of a 222 that didn't shoot good.I have a rather shottly put together Martini 222 Rimmed,which I played with today at the range.With a horrible trigger (comes off in about seven steps),and a stock design that makes it hard to hold it even from the bench,the sucker is still shooting 3/4 inch consistently.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am also a .222 fan. I have a couple of .223's and a .222 Magnum, but the little .222 is the easiest to get to shoot well and gives up little to the larger cases in the way of practical range.

223's have the advantage of cheap (and good) surplus brass, but I bought 200 rounds of nickeled brass for my .222, which I neck-size only, and it looks like it will last me forever.

Some people will claim that the Tikka is the equal of a Sako, which it is not. It does have an excellent reputation, however, and I suspect you won't be disappointed.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted Hide Post
My .222 is a Sako 75. The gun is just awesome, it shoots absolutely anything I feed it with 0.5" accuracy at 100 meters, or better. Almost boring to try out new loads since I can't get the damn thing to shoot any load with unacceptable results.

Just wonder how heavy bullets you people can shoot through your 222's. Norma's 62gr SP shoots far better than I do while in the bench, so I think about trying even heavier bullets!

What do you think? What can the 14" barrel twist manage in the best of cases?

/HerrBerg

Posts: 1723 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote