THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: varmit rifle which cal????

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: varmit rifle which cal????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
JayB--I have no doubts that will work great on rabbits,crows and foxes--oh and paper too as long as you don't attack any African paper--I hear that all African stuff is tougher,even their bees,I think they require atleast a 45-70. I have never tried liquid alox. When I started casting about 38 years ago,I got a lubersizer and that's how I've always done it. For deer hunting,I've been using Winchester bulk packed 100 grain jacketed bullets for several years now. They are fairly cheap--certainly not premium priced. My grandson got a nice ten pointer a couple weeks ago and a smaller nubb buck this past week-end. He is 15 now and has been using .243 since he was 11--gotten atleast one deer every year--usually more. His dad has taken several with them and I have too. Not sure if the 6.5 is big enough to be effective with cast? Let us know.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.223Remington Ackley Improved would suit varmint hunting in NY state. It does here in PA. Doesn't shoot that much faster than the regular .223 but makes the cases last longer and judging from the fact that this IS the accuratereloading forum I would think that you do your own handloading?

As an adjunct, I once owned a Remington model 700 "Varmint Special." (in 22-250) I liked it so much that I had a custom sign painter air brush it on the tailgate of my pickup. Problem is he couldn't spell either. Very nicely spaced across the width was, "Varmit Special." I made him do it over!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
TBEAR99, u say wildcat, and woodchuckes, and coyotes and then the range of 0-300yd. One cartridge comes to mind, try the Tactical 20. The 20cal can shoot faster and flatter than any 22 cal on the market. 4300 fps and virtually no recoil. I have a number of coyotes under my belt with this cart. and man its fun! Go to Small Caliber News web site and talk to Todd Kindler, master mind of the varmint world. He is the developer of the great cart. and he even had his fingers in the .204 Ruger project. ".204 Ruger is a copycat" anyhow, try him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For most of my varminting the .222Rem. does the job nicely. That is one accurate cartridge, especially in a Rem. 40XBBR.
If I feel the need to really reach out I switch to my .22-250Rem. which I personally find the best of them all. I have a .243Win. as well as a 6mm Rem. but rarely feel the need for them, since I don't pick up targets well beyond about 350yds. If you've got the eyesight or a good pair of binoculars more power to you. A lot of times we're really spliting hairs as to which is best for the situation. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote