New
Find
Notify
Tools

cz 527 american vs varmint
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So I'm thinking of ordering a 527 and can't decide between the varmint and american model--any strong arguments either way? I'm leaning towards the american now for several reasons--you get free rings with it and not the varmint apparently, for whatever reason is pics I have seen the american models seem to generally have nicer wood (could be a fluke), people seem to indicate they are just as accurate, they would be lighter and handier. The only things in the varmint's factor are the (possibly erroneous) assumption that they could be more accurate, and that if you had higher rings for a larger scope, it might balance out a little better. Opinions?

Posts: 217 | Location: upstate ny | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt the American will have nicer wood. My American has awful wood and the finish is kinda "coming off" the wood in spots. Was thinking of sending it back to CZ as I've nothing to lose much. Its almost unbelievabley accurate. I can put 5 Starke bullets into 5/8" at a measured 100 yards out of the box. Thats loaded with a lee loader. Mine will even keep Partition 60 grainers at a inch as a 8 point buck will attest to. A varmint will be better off a bench/rest. Slower to heat up. More accurate over a longer course of fire. More stable at the shot even in the field. But more accurate? I doubt it. I liked the rings my american. They are steel and very heavy built. Like tatical rings. Not lost zero in 3 years. So decide what your wanting out of a rifle.....range/varmint field/American.FNMauser

Strike while the iron is hot! Look before you leap!He who hesitates is lost! Slow and steady wins the race! Time waits for no man! A stitch in time saves nine! Make hay while the sun shines! ect. ect.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering if they recently started coming with nicer wood or something, because the only one I have seen locally had quite nice wood, and I've seen a couple online that were extremely nice. I have heard the finish wasn't the greatest though. They seem to fairly universally be accurate, though.

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I think the varmint model may be slightly more accurate. At least in my case. I just got a new carbine in 223. I shot 3 factory brands in it and the average of 9 groups was right at MOA. With one brand running near 3/4 moa. My 527 kevlar varmint shoots 2 brands around .5 to 3/4moa and will shoot just about anything MOA or less, except wolf ammo LOL. All groups are 5 shot groups. If I was doing 3 shot groups the average would be much lower.

To me it just depends on what your are going to do with the gun, If you wanna it carry much, either way the varmint models are usually around 7.5#'s which is what most long action sporters weigh anyways. I only wish my kevlar varmint was a 204 instead of a 223. My CZ's are my favorite rifles, The only problem is I keep wanting more CZ's. I don't know which caliber you are looking at but I would look carefully at the new 204ruger. It offers better trajectory than the swift, the same energy the 223 has but with less wind drift to boot

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yeah, I'm looking to get a 204 whichever one I get. I already have one of the cz 22's and really like it. I also already have an old winchester 43 in 22 hornet that will shoot dime sized holes. I've owned a couple 222's. The 204 will be something new!

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
waveMy 527 American in .222 is a really sweet rifle and good looking to boot. Nice wood pretty finish. Not a year old yet and perhaps less than 1000 rounds have gone down the tube. With some loads it is an inch or maybe a little less. with some loads not as good. It can not compete however with some of my varmint rifles that give tight repeatable performance. But for a light weight sporting rifle it is a true pleasure.This is not the rifle to shoot 200 squirrles with in one day; maybe 30 allowing the little barrel to cool. Roll Eyesroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 527 Hornet is an awsome little rifle and has around 600 rounds down the tube........rabbits foxes etc. I have leupold 3-9x50 on it and I just love everything about his little rig.

I to want more and more cz's.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
You might want to read CZ USA service sucks! in this section. FNMauser has some info that might sway you towards NOT buying a CZ. I would think twice now after reading the replies.

Just a thought...

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Get the 527 and enjoy. I got a .222 Lux a few weeks ago and started working up a 40 and a 50 grain load because that is what I want to shoot. Got about 80 rounds through it now . Went to the 100 yard range yesterday and shooting off sandbags to check a few loads and put two shots cold barrel in .132 c-t-c of the 40 grain load I'm going to use. The followup 5 shot 50 grain group was .378 c-t-c. a little higher on the target. Loaded just a couple to verify my prior load decisions and shooting. Now I'll load enough for the summer. Sure you have to disassemble and clean, use a couple of drops of bedding epoxy, polish and work the bolt some, adjust and lube the trigger, and maybe scrape a bit of barrel channel, but the shootin is worth it. The finish on the stock is coming off early next winter anyhow and the plain ++ walnut stock is gettin hand rubbed oil and recheckered. When you got a pig that tastes that good you dont eat him all at one time. Good shooting.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i think the wood is going to be luck of the draw. if you want a "walking around hunting gun" go with the american. if benchwork type stuff is more important, go with the varmint.(takes more shots to heat up the barrel) i only have the american in 223 and it's the only gun i have ever taken out of the box and consistantly shot 1/2 MOA or less. (50 grn nosler solid base and 27.5 grns win 748) so i don't think there is an accuracy issue between the two. (again...accuracy may be luck of the draw...but usually very acceptable) i have only had good service from czusa but i haven't demanded much. good luck with your choice.

ps....my father bought a cz 527 american in 222 with the best wood i've ever seen on a factory gun. he had the money before me...dammit!! Big Grin if i remember right, it was tiger striped walnut from end to end. luck of the draw Smiler

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would take the varmint model , for nearly any shooting . The 527 CZ varmint weight is nothing like the heavy clubs from many of the other manufactureres. It is just the right weight , in my view , for these small calibers and they have a delightful balance.

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Over at saubier.com, pictures have been posted of a recent shipment of 527's. Everyone agrees it is still "luck of the draw", as they still ship some boat paddle pieces.
Certainly best to buy the one(s) you actually get to fondle.
There is a 527 carbine 7.62x39 in a local shop, way too purty to scratch up in the field...but the first scratch hurts the worst.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I buy guns to shoot, not to look at. The CZ's flat shoot. Nothing wrong with a plain walnut stuck.

My experience with CZ customer service is satisfactory. I called them up to buy some parts and they sold me the parts and shipped them promptly.

The fellow complaining thinks he's so special that the warranty period should have been extended just for him. They seem to have been politer about it than I would have been.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have a 527 in 222 that has the finish coming off of the stock. Looks chincy, cheap.
Don