THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: weatherby vanguard 257wby

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: weatherby vanguard 257wby
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I purchased the SS Weatherby Vanguard in 257 wby yesterday. I'll let you know after I go thru the 10 day waiting period here in la la land (CA). One of the guys over at 24hour campfire pm'd me and told me he has both the Mark V and the vanguard in 257 wby, in one of his wby factory ammo loads he gets 3350 FPS out of the Mark V, and 3300 GPS out of the vanguard. He also told me he is very pleased with the vanguard, and it shoots every bit as good as his Mark V. I think he also told me he put a timny trigger in his vanguard.

I called Weatherby and a tech rep told me they find that you only loose 25-35 FPS/inch of barrel, and that the 257 wby is still screaming out of the 24 inch tube.

Weatherby also has custom stocks available if you want to upgrade your vanguard, and they now have a scope mounting system available for 35 dollars that one of the guys told me is made by Tally.

The bolt has 3 rings of steel like other weatherby rifles, and has 3 gas escape ports, which is desirable if you are a reloader.

All in all, I am very pleased with the purchase, and can't wait to shoot and load for it.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are these going for?
Thanks,
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I�m left handed and at one time Weatherby only sold calibers in .300 or bigger with 26� barrels. So I had a MarkV 24� 257Wby I got 100gr. Partition out at 3550.

Sold this gun and bought an AccuMark 26� barrel this gun puts 100gr. Partitions out at 3900+fps with no pressure signs. But decided on a load just over 3700fps.

Built a 25-06 Ackley on a factory Ruger 24� barrel 100gr. Partitions at 3550fps. I felt the 25Ackley would match the 257WBY when they both had 24� barrels and it did.

The 257WBY needs at least a 26� barrel. Factory 100grs bullets are coming out of my accumark just under 3700fps

Posts: 182 | Location: Bandon Oregon | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 257 WBY does have a 26" barrel. It couldn't do the FPS it does without it.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote