New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experience with 6.5x68mmR?
 Login/Join

Picture of 450/400NE
posted
I am planning a Dakota Model 10 in 6.5x68mmR. Any experience you would like to share would be greatly appreciated regarding hunting and/or reloading for this metric. Thanks!

Posts: 20 | Location: McAllen, TX | Registered: 17 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.lima-wiederladetechnik.de/6,5-mm/6,5x68.htm

The 6,5 is a German cartridge, an is also available in 6,5x68R.
Its similar to the 264 win and a barrel burner.
You need al longer barrel (26" or more) and a short twist rate 1:8 is recommended.

The web site above is in German but Mr. Möller will give you answers in English. The site is very professional.

Burkhard

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No experience but a bit of research carried out prior to going for 6.5x57R

The x68R brass is quite rare, ensure you have a good source.

CIP twist rate is rather slow - max factory bullet weight is from memory 123-127gr for that reason, also bullets are seated quite deeply.

In a custom you might consider going for a faster twist to allow heavier and tougher bullets and a throat to match.

I would consider 26" in a rifle with no action length an absolute minimum.

Subject to the above I think you will have a stunningrifle - don't stint on the barrel length - I had a 24" K95 in 6.5x57R and the closeness of the muzzle (no action length) made it LOUD, an extra 2" made a big difference.

Picture of 450/400NE
posted Hide Post
1894mk2 and Burkhard,

Thanks for the input. My thoughts prallel yours. Will let you know how it all turns out.

450/400NE

Posts: 20 | Location: McAllen, TX | Registered: 17 September 2007Reply With Quote