THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    How To Take Pictures That Respect The Trophy, Our Sport: A Tutorial For Slob Hunters
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How To Take Pictures That Respect The Trophy, Our Sport: A Tutorial For Slob Hunters
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Really, the only thing that I think is in bad taste is the poster saying 930 yards. That's really in poor taste IMO. All it is is bragging to no point.

I think the point was to illustrate he was 930 yards away.

Cool pictures by all BTW.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are right in that it does no one any good to display excessively gory pictures.

Enjoying looking at them is worrisome also.

As to the 930 yard poster- I could put one on something too. I think its in bad taste and bordering on irresponsibility to do so. rcamuglia knows how far the shot was- the only reason to put that on a picture is to "demonstrate" that he can do it to all and sundry, and encourage a bunch of folks to try the same thing, including a bunch of folks who don't have the ability to make that shot.

Realistically, what is the vital zone of a coyote? How accurate (mechanically) is the gun? How good a shot are you? Was the shot a deliberate one shot hit/kill, a "organized accident", or a hope and pray shot? If you are one of the few who can day in and out do this, great- the only guy I personally know who has this level of skill knows it, honed it in the service, and while has made shots like this with some regularity, sees no point in telling everyone and sundry about it, in fact he said its best to be quiet, so that some fool doesn't cripple half the county trying to prove he's better than you.

Part of the point I thought the OP was making is we should be respectful of the game/animal we are shooting. It may be a coyote, but gutshooting it and letting it lie up somewhere is not so respectful either. I don't care if its a coyote, or a deer, its wrong. Similarly, saying "I can do this, but you can't" is none too smart either.

Just my opinion, lord knows, if everyone thought like me the world would be pretty strange.

Posts: 11028 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
Nice pictures all,
can you tell a little story on the funky horned gemsbok? I like that one.
Keep the long shot card photo. Some day there may not be 900 yds of open space to shoot in.

Sure theback40!

First, I think it's important to know who the guy is in the photo with the Oryx. His name is Jeff.

We met each other when we were 12 on the 10th tee at Arroyo Del Oso golf course. We were just starting to learn how to play at that time. I was with my Father and Grandfather who came to watch. Jeff walked up and in very mannerly style asked if he could join us....he was a single.

Since that day 25 years ago, we've been through a lot together; girlfriends, wives, ups and downs in business and everything else in life....

The one thing that has kept us best friends is Hunting.

Now the story: The short and the long of it....

We had drawn Oryx tags for an off-range hunt here in NM. If you've never hunted them around here, there's a lot of driving roads involved, glassing from small "hills" trying to spot something that you might possibly be able to work in on.

We were sitting in the truck overlooking an arroyo bottom that was heavily tracked, glassing. We spotted a decent sized herd at about a mile, drove as close as possible and set out on foot to work in.

You can't keep up with a feeding herd or Oryx on foot; they walk faster than you can sneak or jog. We hunted all morning till noon taking a couple of chances to get closer but just ended up spooking them. They ran our butts off. Hot and tired, we went back to the truck.

After being back at the vehicle, we spotted them again, even closer and were able to get in close; about 100 yards.

Jeff was shooting his '06 with 150 grain Nosler Solid Base Spire points. That animal Folded.

All hell broke loose in the herd and I shot mine while he was at a full run at about 80 yards with my .300 Win Mag. Jeff was yelling "NO!" but it was too late; he cartwheeled ass over tea kettle.

They were small. It was our first Oryx hunt and we didn't know a big one from a small one. We were happy as hell to get a couple!

quote:
As to the 930 yard poster- I could put one on something too. I think its in bad taste and bordering on irresponsibility to do so. rcamuglia knows how far the shot was- the only reason to put that on a picture is to "demonstrate" that he can do it to all and sundry, and encourage a bunch of folks to try the same thing, including a bunch of folks who don't have the ability to make that shot.

I understand your feelings.

I was capable of making the shot, obviously. I could go into why, but won't do so here. If you would like to know my credentials, for lack of a better word, and the story, PM me and I will go into it.

Varmints such as prarie dogs and Fawn and livestock killing predators I'll always try to take down if I can.
Wink SSS....

quote:
the only guy I personally know who has this level of skill knows it, honed it in the service, and while has made shots like this with some regularity, sees no point in telling everyone and sundry about it, in fact he said its best to be quiet

Sounds like a well-adjusted Veteran of our elite armed forces. Human targets are different than Varmints and should be treated as such. (even though our enemies are varmints of the worst kind)

Also realize I didn't tell you anything about it. It's a sign in a picture for which you have conjured a story that doesn't sit well with you. Human nature.

quote:
It may be a coyote, but gutshooting it and letting it lie up somewhere is not so respectful either. I don't care if its a coyote,.....

The burgers on the grill my boy....the burgers on the grill! Wink

Yeah, right!

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
Mr. Rick Camuglia
I understand that your very limited celebrity allows you a soapbox to preach from in your own group. I can see how this might lead you to believe you are the arbiter of what is and is not acceptable content on this website and other places. I do apologies for any content posted by me that offended you so badly that you forgot your manners. I have removed the pictures that seem to have such sway over you without request by anyone. It was never my intent to cause your delicate sensibility such duress.
I would like to clear up a few details with you sir. You do not know what I think about any subject. please do not lie and pretend you do. Your assertion that we are all mental midgets or goobers because the anti hunting groups might use our information against all hunters in one thread and the evocation of the shoot shovel and shut up way of breaking the law in another thread is beyond the pale. If you have some deep need to act as benevolent dictator of gun sports include me out of your little play kingdom. In the future if you have some deep need requiring me to remove photos from a web site a simple request in a private message will be met with polite consideration. All other thinly veiled threats and rude comments will be simply ignored. You are generally thought well of sir and can be very charming when hocking macaroni or browning products. Your civility toward people you disagree with is lacking to say the very least.

An example for your records follows.
It would be an understatement of epic proportions to say that shooting a coyote the way you do is cruel and inhumane. The 930 yard brag card is cute but it is also covering the gut shot/body shot that is a very slow painful death while you stroll yourself over to see if he is dead yet. I think that’s just great but I assure you peta does not. There are some people who believe that shooting things you don’t eat is just plain wrong an even smaller group think its wrong to shoot any animal. I do not care how you hunt and have no want or need to change what you do. Were I to be offended by your 930 coyote picture and that which it implies or the numerous pictures of you and your friends mugging with gods creatures recently murdered it would be reasonable for me to politely ask you to remove them or better yet to no longer look at the offensive material by using the numerous buttons on my computer. It would not be reasonable for me to open another thread like yours making backhanded insults or proclamations of right from on high. You are not holding any stone tablets nor standing near a burning bush. Who do you imagine you are that gives you the authority to declare right and wrong over everyone else.

you pretend to know the context of photographs you know nothing about then admonish people here for making assumptions about the content of your photos. You scream cry and gnash your teeth with emoticons making fun of people who don’t care for your bullying or simply disagree with you. You are conducting yourself poorly for a person in your position.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Letter grade .....

"F"

Too "wordy" as my English Prof would mark.

I could go back through it with my red pen if it would suit you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On second thought, I don't think I'll need to.

I'm sure someone else will handle my light work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CRUSHER:
shooting a coyote the way you do is cruel and inhumane. ... I think that’s just great but I assure you peta does not. There are some people who believe that shooting things you don’t eat is just plain wrong an even smaller group think its wrong to shoot any animal. ...gods creatures recently murdered ...
Hey Crusher, That is right out of the stuff I hear the News Readers occasionally mention concerning "peta". That is indeed what they "claim".

However, the last thing I heard the News Readers mention about peta was the HIGH PerCentage of animals peta KILLED which they made a big tado about "their Saving" from people being cruel to those animals(horses) or from the Dog Pounds. This number could be wrong, but I seem to remember the News Reader saying only 7% of the peta "Saves" were not eventually KILLED by "animal loving peta".

A couple of years ago somewhere up around Louisville, a peta woman made a BIG claim about Saving lots of pets from a Dog Pound. A follow-up story (less than a week later) showed she could only account for - ZERO Dogs and Cats, being adopted, or even alive. They had all been KILLED by her. Not sure what the Locals did or did not do to her, since it would have taken a real Reporter to find out.

It seems peta makes a BIG deal about loving animals, but the reality is often a bit different.
-----

The following statement is in 100% compliance with the thought-police:
So bobbiee "claims" I'm on ignore and then comes back to be rude and offensive. Reminds me of "my hero" from spud land who "claimed" the same thing. Seems there is a word for people who "claim" one thing but then we find out it is not TRUE! bewildered

Sooooo, I'd say the possibility of those flicks bobbiee "claims" as being his, has the same possibility of that being True as bobbiee's "claim" that I ever got into ANY TROUBLE over discussing ANYTHING with my buddy Dr. Oehler. Which would be ZERO!

And of course, rotflmo animal rotflmo - "AT" bobbiee, not with him. shame

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a big smile on your friends face, worth more then a few inches of horn ever was. thanks for sharing.

One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
You are right in that it does no one any good to display excessively gory pictures.

Enjoying looking at them is worrisome also.

Realistically, what is the vital zone of a coyote? How accurate (mechanically) is the gun? How good a shot are you? Was the shot a deliberate one shot hit/kill, a "organized accident", or a hope and pray shot? If you are one of the few who can day in and out do this, great- the only guy I personally know who has this level of skill knows it, honed it in the service, and while has made shots like this with some regularity, sees no point in telling everyone and sundry about it, in fact he said its best to be quiet, so that some fool doesn't cripple half the county trying to prove he's better than you.

Part of the point I thought the OP was making is we should be respectful of the game/animal we are shooting. It may be a coyote, but gutshooting it and letting it lie up somewhere is not so respectful either. I don't care if its a coyote, or a deer, its wrong. Similarly, saying "I can do this, but you can't" is none too smart either.

Just my opinion, lord knows, if everyone thought like me the world would be pretty strange.

Again I think we have to separate tasteless and gruesome photo exhibits from those with taste. Holding his yard-marker over his game is far from tasteless and in my view "what a shot". A coyote's kill zone in my view is pure vital where the back half is off limits. A hard gut shot is going to create enough trauma to put this guy into shock with rapid blood loss and any pain and suffering is surely a wash. I have little room in my ethics for pain and suffering and I could do without either in any game. But I don't feel this is the case here. And for all that's said, let this fellow celebrate his kill! An outstanding shot a 900+ yards. That's one hell of a distance for such a small target. Give'em an at-a-boy and don't rain on his parade I think he deserves it.....My 2 cents....Smiler

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I let this trophy choose the way he was going to die.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote