New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What 22 Hornet Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you've got the money Anschutz is tops. If not, don't despair. CZ made it's reputation with this .22 Hornet caliber back when it was known as Brno. I have two friends that own them, and the bloody things are right up there in accuracy with my .222Rem. It can be a finicky bugger though so you might have to fiddle around a bit to find your most accurate load. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a problem! Just use the bottom plex as a post and your reduced load will be close. No adjustments are usually needed. Load the 40 gr bullet with 13 grs of IMR SR 4759. The velocity will be around 2800 fps. Load it down for less noise. About eight grains will make it a .22 RFM load. Factory Hornet loads can't match the flexiblity of handloads.

The .22 Hornet may be the least accurate sporting smokeless rifle cartridge ever. If all such guns were fired for score I would expect a Hornet to score near the last place. And this is a gun to hit small targets yet!

I had Hornets. Thanks to the 222 Rem and handloading I did not need the Hornet.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you happen to run across an old Savage 23D in nice shape at a good price jump on it. My pre war model shoots an inch or better with 12.5grs of 'Lil Gun and VMax 35's. It's one sweet old rifle.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage99.
"quote" (The .22 Hornet may be the least accurate sporting smokeless rifle cartridge ever. If all such guns were fired for score I would expect a Hornet to score near the last place. And this is a gun to hit small targets yet!)
Where do you come up with this crap?
After years of reading your nonsense I really don't know if your as ignorant of shooting reality as it seems or just so biased that you actually believe the B.S. you spread.
I really could care less about your stupidity and your obviously way beyond learning anything because that would require an open mind you don't possess. The problem is when you pretend to actually know something about the topic and make a statement like the one above someone with little experience who does have an open mind might believe you and avoid a wonderful cartridge like the Hornet.
Go back up a ways in this post and look at the photo I posted, that's a factory Hornet shooting it's first 50 rounds of a load not even worked up in that particular rifle, I didn't shoot a group that morning that was as large as a half inch. That rifle cost $430.00. That's inaccurate? Give me a break.
Have you actually shot a Hornet in the last 3 or 4 decades?
What your spreading might have applied in the 50's but it sure don't any more. Get a clue guy.

Sorry fellas I've been needing to get that off my chest for the last several years. I feel a lot better now!

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote is for a Kimber 82 Hornet. I'm a Lefty and it was the only lefty repeater I knew of, expensive but worth it.

I get 1/4 - 1/2 groups with 13 gr.Lil Gun and Hornady 35 gr.vmax

Jim

Posts: 134 | Location: dallas,tx | Registered: 29 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the same barrel coming on my purty gun .
Actually I got the card Friday that the barrels made and sent on to the smith for the work, can't wait. I might pick your brain for some favored loads later, I got a bunch of VVN120 and AA 1680, oughta be a good place to start.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote