THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .243 light load for Prairie Dogs

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 light load for Prairie Dogs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 243 that i've been using for long range target shooting. I havent shot any of the lighter bullets out of this rifle. I want to start shooting prairie dogs with it. I plan to shoot a lot. A load with a low to medium priced bullet in the lower weight range would be nice. My twist is 1:9. Not sure how well I can shoot the really light bullets with that twist. I have H1000, RL 22, and H4895. Velocity above 3200 is not a big deal. Most shots are within 200 yards. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your stuck on the slow powders then barrel life isn't going to be long. Do a search on Seafires Blue Dot loads if you want to shoot a lot.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
47 gr 4350 w/ 70 gr nosler BT or 47 1/5 gr 414 with the same bullet

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try cast bullets--make my own and they shoot great in .243.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used a 55 grain ballistic tip with a max load of imr 4350 but my kids deer hunt with the gun so now I go with rl22 and a 100 grain hornady boattail.

Posts: 78 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Elk hunter, I have a PM to you.. you PM'd me on an old account that has been closed so I don't have access to it to read your PM..

send me a PM to seafire2...

let me know what you are looking for..we can set you up...
BOOM
cheers
seafire
beer

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for responding. I'm looking for light loads for my 243 that will approximate .223 ballistics with 55-75 grain bullets. Hopefully this will keep the barrel wear down. They wshould still be more than adequate for prairie dogs at 200 or less. If that doesnt work ill buy the .223... Big Grin

Thanks again

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, What does this mean?

quote:
Legal Society 'practices under a Restricted Appearance Certificate'.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeMichalski:
Seafire, What does this mean?

quote:
Legal Society 'practices under a Restricted Appearance Certificate'.

It is a sensored line about the profession of one of the members who lives on the political forum.. AR's moderator asked me to delete or abbreviate it....
it has to do with a certain alcoholic Canuck Attorney, from Arctic Canada.. that does nothing but bitch about the USA constantly...

I corresponded to the Legal Society where he lives, and found out that he has a limited license to practice law.. and that he has been disbarred several times for improprieties...

most of the guys on the political forum here know what it means...just a torn in the side of our Anti American Canuck buddy here...

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, Thanks, now I get it. Too bad though, most of the Canadians I've dealt with over the last 20/30 years are really nice people who share most of our American values.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I share your sentiments on Canucks as well....

Met very few bad ones...and most of those were representing the Ontario Fish & Wildlife, and scamming boaters in the Boundary Waters or on Lake of the Woods, trying to tell them that they were fishing in Canada, when they were clearly in American waters...

John Quincy Adams

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.......I am researching a light load for the 243 win , but for use on called fox and coyote ..Anyone know what kind of hide damage I can expect from a 60 gr pill @ 3200 or thereabouts ....Thanks .

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
.......I am researching a light load for the 243 win , but for use on called fox and coyote ..Anyone know what kind of hide damage I can expect from a 60 gr pill @ 3200 or thereabouts

If you don't want hide damage, I'd throttle back my MV considerably, like to 2500 fps or so.. or consider moving up to like an 80 grain FMJ or something to that effect...

high speed varmint bullets are going to give you intended varmint explosive performance..

John Quincy Adams

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to the http://hodgdon.com/ web site and look up Youth Loads.

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the link ......,., research , research ....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
.. and found out that he has a limited license to practice law.. and that he has been disbarred several times for improprieties...

.. on the political forum .....

All that should make him well qualified to be a liberal on AR's political forum.

Yesterday at a gunshow, I had an anti rodent hunting, gun collecting, lawyer tell me that the government should stop the growing of alfalfa in the high dessert.

What does it all mean?
There are plenty more where bruciebaby came from.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always liked 70-grain MatchKings over 46.0 grains of IMR 4831. Excellent accuracy out of a Winchester 88 (cloverleafs at 100 yds).

NRA Life Member
testa virtus magna minimum

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yesterday at a gunshow, I had an anti rodent hunting, gun collecting, lawyer tell me that the government should stop the growing of alfalfa in the high dessert.

Funny how guys like that can come up with big bright ideas that don't effect them personally...

If the government wants to really do the public a public service, what they should do, is pass laws, to quit turning out so many attorneys...
It won't benefit the attorneys much, but it sure will help out a lot of the rest of us, by ending the flurry of frivilous lawsuits, and I am sure it would do the firearms industry a whole lot of good also...

while we are at it, lets ban liberals, and....

this could get addicting...

besides this is what the political forum is for...my bad...

John Quincy Adams