THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    THOUHTS ON 300WSM CONVERTED TO 25WSM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THOUHTS ON 300WSM CONVERTED TO 25WSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a savage 300wsm been trying to figure out what to do with. thought hard about bigger bullets like 416, 375, or 338. 338 caught my fancy but overall lenth has me concerned.

of course i was thinking of smaller pills s well. i have 25wssm in a browning abolt and it has droped about 15 deer for me. all went down easy w one shot. accubonds, tsx, and game kings are moa or under 5 shots.

this all had me wondering if anyone tried a 25wsm. 270wsm brass should be able to step down in one pull of the handle, brass is plentiful, 25cal bullets are good to go, so what are the downfalls? i realize custom dies would prob need to be paid for....

would the 25wsm be in 257weatherby territory?

thanks for your input.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I did one years ago when the WSM's first came out. I was able to get very close to Weatherby ballistics with 100gn bullets. The biggest problem I had was brass flow. Neck turning became a regular reloading chore. Back when I had mine built the .300 was they only WSM around so forming 50 rounds of brass was a long job using neck dies. Today I would just start with .270 WSM brass.

It was a lot of trouble and I moved on.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
My experience was very close to TC's ... i had a reamer cut the day that winchester released their print... worked fine, and using 270 brass was easier .. though I set mine up to NOT have to neck turn, as that step annoys the heck out of me. right at 257 weatherby, very accurate, low recoil... i used the redding bushing die set for 300 wsm, worked great ..

BORING, tore it down, made a 416 AR on the action, a 1903a3.

honestly, my 257 roberts kills em dead-right-there

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any thoughts on 338WSM?

Thanks for sharing on the 25WSM. I wouldnt be very interested in a tight neck either....neck turning is a PITA.

Maybe just drop a 270WSM barrel in there and only use 80gr to 120gr 270 rounds....cheap mans 6.8WSM!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always thought a 6.5WSM would be pretty cool. But since I have a 264 and a 270WSM that drive tacks, it's pretty hard to justify, even in my twisted mind.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the reamer and I've built several for clients over the years. They like them.
Seems like the ultimate pronghorn cartridge.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any known issues with 338 bullets being to long? I would like to shoot 225gr and 250gr spitzers like accubonds and interbonds and SMK's. I would think TSX and TTSX would probably be to long but I could live w. that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Biscut,

Go 6.5 and you will have a much greater selection of bullets than the 25. Similar but will shoot better (higher BC) and terminal performance is better (higher SD).

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BISCUT:
Any known issues with 338 bullets being to long? I would like to shoot 225gr and 250gr spitzers like accubonds and interbonds and SMK's. I would think TSX and TTSX would probably be to long but I could live w. that.

Biscut

I have a couple of 338 WSMs and they are a neat little round. While you can do well with some 250s, it's basically a 225 gr bullet cartridge and performs best at that level. There are several bullets that are too long, and I use Winchester M70s. The accubonds 225 is too long, TSX in 210 and down are fine. Most 250s are a bit long, but the 250 Hornady is fine in the Winchesters.

I also have a couple of 6.5 WSMs and they are very good too.

If it was a Winchester you could turn it into one of the B&M cartridges! 50-458-416-9.3 B&M.

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plus one for the TSX 210. I really like the bullet in my 338 win. I was told by Barnes that it penetrates only 3-4 inches less than the 225.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I did this conversion, 3 years ago, an I love it.

I am shooting a 75gr V-max at 4200 F.P.S.
and also a 100 gr TSX T 3800 F.P.S. I have killed 2 whitetails with it.

I have to admit, it was a long process developing loads for the gun. The two above have a point of impact that are the same.

My is a hunting rifle and not a target gun, i have stopped at 3/4" groups, in which both loads above are doing.

My gun is a 700 rebarreled by Hart, 26" stainless fluted barrel.

Please contact me if you would like any additional information.

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I have an article from Rifleshooter magazine of a conversion to the 25WSM, called the 25 Pronghorn. It made me want to build one but haven't gotten to it yet. It's still on the plan, though.
I'll be happy to email the article to anyone desiring it. Just pm me your email address.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM inbound! TX Cliff

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Article on its way. Glad to help.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote