New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I need a .25-06?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think we're missing the point about recoil a bit...seems the OP already had a gamut of larger calibers and parted with them already.

I have to 2nd (or actually more like 6th lol) the notion on the 6.5x55. Very mild recoil/blast, shoots a wide range of bullets, and kills all out of reason! You combine the great sectional density and high BC of 6.5mm bullets. They don't need to be scorching to fly flat and do the work needed when it hits the target. You have great choices in bullets from 100 up to 160, so you really can load to the animal. As far as factory choices here in the US, Tikka, CZ and I think Howa, all make rifles. CZ even gives you the choice of a short barrelled manlicher stock or the standard 24" tube.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ol Army----Here is a formula you might find useful. It is for recoil,it does not give a ft pounds it is just a rule of thumb guide for recoil. Recoil Factor: Bullet weight + powder charge(both in grains)X muzzle velocity divided by 3500(constant)divided by rifle weight in pounds. I find this pretty close when making comparisons. In this formula anything over 20 is pretty much considered a kicker. In comparing the 25-06 with 120 grainer and .270 with 130 grainer about only difference is the 10 grains of bullet weight. MileHighShooter---Fot the most part the 30-06 and all it's family members operate on 50-55 K pressure. The 7x57 and its family are down around 45-47K which makes a big difference--ie the .257 Roberts as compared to the 25-06.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my opion you need a WBY 257 Mag.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
I have a .243 for long-range springbok hunting, got a 25-06 for better wind-bucking, but since buying a .270 Win a number of years ago the .25 just does not get used.
That said, an accurate .25-06 is more useful than a less accurate .243 or .270.www.graaffreinetsafaris.co.za

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeMichalski:
Appreciate the wisdom, and yes, I know we don't NEED to have another gun in order to want one. Let me re-fraise the question. If the .243 is already enough gun for whatever I may get to hunt, does the .25-06 have anything in addition to offer if it's used to kill paper?

If the 243 will do all that you "need" it to do, I would put the new gun money toward a primo scope for the 243 or more ammo.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote