THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Won a 270 WSM what can you tell me?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Won a 270 WSM what can you tell me?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
At our local DU dinner I won a 270 WSM in a browning lever action. What do you know about it?

Bob Clark

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
reload it .. and if you load it to 270 winchester vels, the brass will last a long time

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samwise:
At our local DU dinner I won a 270 WSM in a browning lever action. What do you know about it?

Sell it before you shoot it and buy a good bolt action in that caliber. I have a mod 70 in 270 WSM and it shoot fine, probably around 3/4 MOA. With the synthetic stock the recoil is more than a 270 Win. Velocity gain is around 150-200fps. Reloading for them can be tricky as far as resizing the brass. Wouldn't be surprised if it's worse in a lever action. If you already have a 270 Win there's alot of better choices of calibers than this one. Paul.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ongratulations on the Win!

It may have been PHurley that I've seen speak highly about that cartridge. If he does not post on it, you might PM him to see if that is correct.

And there used to be a guy who did a lot of Bear Hunting on the Board who used the BLR a good bit, but his was in 358Win. I do not remember him ever saying anything negative about it. And he carried a BLR more than anyone else I know.

But, I tend to agree with VIP " if " either the cartridge or the rifle is not exactly what you want. A new rifle makes fine Trade Bait.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Bob- You didn't tell us anything about yourself, what or where you hunt, how long you've been shooting rifles, and so on.

So, it is hard to tell you any of the advantages or disadvantages of your rifle or cartridge.

I will tell you that I find the BLR to be a very nice rifle for being easy to carry, with easy reloading for follow-up shots, and chambered in effective modern cartridges.

Probably 100,000 guys can debate with you which is better... single shot, lever, pump, semi-auto, or bolt actions, but debating is a different sport than hunting.

All can work fine for hunting in the hands of practical hunters.

The .270 WSM is neither a .404 Jeferey nor a .220 Swift. But it IS a heck of a fine mule-deer cartridge. Used properly, it will also do just fine on ALL deer, including white-tail, coues, blacktail, sika, fallow, ,elk, moose, caribou, any deer in NA, you name it. Plenty good for black bear and a bunch of other critters such as antelope too.

I wouldn't spend too much time looking a gift-horse in the mouth. Get some ammo, a 2x7 scope, sight it in and take it hunting!!

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote