New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber .257 Roberts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Kimber is listing the model 84 in Roberts for '08 if some of you boys are in need of a classy "Bob". Also listing the 8400 in the new Ruger RCM cartridges, which I didn't expect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how the Roberts fits in the 84 action. Do you know how long the mag box is ?
I like the Roberts in most short actions , but the Kimber was kept to minimum size in all componants.
Of corse since the have the 8400 and lots of different mag boxes now , they may have one that works fine.
Sure would be a classy rifle.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Bob is certainly as fine a medium-size big game round as they come but the 84M seems purpose built for a 250 Savage (with 1:10 twist of course).

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
Looks like I just found my reason to buy a kimber. I have been wanting a bob for a while but couldn't find one I liked. I wonder if the kimbers chambered in the RCM's will have the shorter barrel? A compact kimber with open sights would be kind of cool.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I asked my local gun shop to check with Kimber about this rifle and they are saying it is on a medium length action (84M) which would make sense. But they could not tell me how long the box is. Moot point, the 22in barrel is a deal killer for me.
Shayne

Posts: 127 | Location: yuma, AZ | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would,nt let a 22 inch tube bother me on a Roberts. My 20 inch Ruger puts 100 grain tsx's out at 3100 with a listed load that is below max.
If by medium action they mean 06 length the mag would not be an issue.
Should be a dandy deer slayer with lots of class !
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Kimber offers it in the "Montana", I can already envision a place for it next to my 260 remington
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems as though the New Kinmber has a 1 in 14 twist. Any thoughs on this?

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 1 in 14 twist ?
Seems awfully slow to me. Should be fine with bullets up to 100 grs. But I would have to ask them what the hell thats all about.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
The mroe I shoot it the more I love my Bob. What a great cartridge!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was mentioned on another board that the 1-14 was a mistake. Correct twist is 1-10.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be getting the Montana in 257 Roberts the moment it becomes available this year, which I believe will be at the end of May. Hopefully get the rifle in time to take it to the hills in search of a nice spring blackie.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Roberts is a favorite of mine....I feel lucky to have an original Oregon Kimber in it....

My most recent experience with a Kimber America
338 Federal will not see me buying any more of their rifles...Too much of a crapshoot....

Posts: 128 | Location: western PA | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
I can't find anything about the .257 Roberts at the Kimber website. Anyone know where there is some official information?

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new Kimber 2008 catalog lists the .257R in three different configurations.

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
You mean that they released the info in the sales brochure before they put it on their website?

Well I will keep my eye out for one of these guns.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Kimber 84M magazines will take a COL of only 2.8" to maybe 2.81". Now the 257R has an official COL of less than that but it really could use a longer magazine in my view.

Other than my comment above I never had any interest in the round.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got a look at a Kimber 08 catalog yesterday.
The roberts is in there all right. Its on the 84.
It's in 3 versions.
certainly could use a little more than 2.80 in the mag, But that would,nt stop me from buying one.
It should handle bulets up to 100 grains with no compromise.
And still do prety well with heavyer ones too.
You would probably loose a little velocity with the 115s and up but not much.
My ruger has plenty of mag length but is throated so short it might as well be a short action.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
IMO, the short mag length really isn't all that much of a detriment.

My Bob shoots 100gr. SGK's at 3,000fps, 110 AB's at 2825, and 117 SGK's at 2750.

The original Bob loads were designed to work in the older Mauser actions and were therefore a bit under-stressed. There's lots of free case capacity to work with on the Bob.

If you need a bit more juice than that you can always AI it. AI loads are loaded to higher pressure in my Speer manual by about 8-10k cup. So not only do you get more powder, you also get the advantage of "more modern" load data.

Anyway, I doubt you will be disappointed.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote