Find
Notify
Tools

Guns & Ice Cream.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted
Well, I just can't seem to find another forum to really post this. The story's just too good to keep to myself - so I share it with you all.

I've had a really long two weeks of late. I'm tired, a bit stressed. In need of a bit of relaxation time. A day at the range would be nice. Not a day of load dev, just a day at the range.

Quite happily, Midway had just dropped a nice package at the house a day ago...inside was a nice little package by DPMS in .223 (ok, that's my link into the small bore forum!). 20" Stainless Bull Barrel in .223. Just right for my Sun lower. My wife on the other hand just stared at me, laughing about my "kid in a candy store" mentality. Hey, it's a new toy, right?

Anyway, back to the story. My wife has never fired any longarms before. Quite a few handguns (she has her own Smith 640 & SA XD 9mm) but no rifles. Now was as good a time as any for me to convince her to join me at the range.

I spent the first hour resighting three rifles. I had scope swapped 2-7 VX1 to my Marlin, mounted a new FXIII 6x scope to my 350RM, and put a Holosight onto my (first ever) AR15. With all the rifles sighted in my wife sat down behind me with a heavily perforated target. (she was out of ammo: 150 rounds of 9mm and 100 rounds of .38 specs gone in just under an hour...).

So I figured, what the heck!

Me: "Hon, want to fire the AR?"

Her: "Not really. It looks mean."

Me: "Nahhh, it's a pussy cat. Give it a try."

I thumbed 10 rounds into the mag and sat her down behind the AR and the Holosight. Bang. Bang. Bang. First three shots went off as she got used to the trigger and confidence built. Seven more shots later she had a very nice 3" group at 50 yards and a huge smile on her face.

"More!" (My wife's funny that way. When she has fun, she's just like a little kid.)

10 more rounds and maybe another minute of firing and she's got it down. 2-3" groups, quick and smooth. Not bad for a rifle with a Holosight that I just built!

About this time I start thinking. She's got a bit of confidence brewing. Maybe...Let's see how she does with a bit more.

I handed off my .257 Roberts and gave her a couple instructions. Two rounds later she's got a 1.5" group at 50 yards. She's cocky - I give her three more rounds.

Darned if she doesn't ding the 200 yard gong three times in a row!

Now I'm just laughing. Out comes the PAST recoil shield. I hand off my Marlin in .35 Remington and she works her way up from my Bunny loads (125 gr. pistol bullet at 2500fps) to max hunting loads (180gr at 2350) and she comments "well, that second load was a bit warmer wasn't it." Not hurt, not angry, no, not even a bit intimidated. Just "That was a bit warmer..."

Ok, let's dial this up and see what she's got to say. .350 Rem Mag, bunny loads first. Three rounds in 1.5" at 50 yards. She's having fun. I hand her a "light hunting" round: 200 gr. Horn IL's over 58gr. of IMR 4895 for 2650fps. Even as light as this is (for a .350 rm) it still let's you know that you've fired something "big".

She lines up on the Gong again, snugs up the 350 and let's fly. WHONNNNGGGGGG!

"Ok, that's not as much fun. Can I shoot the AR again?"

At this point I'm just howling with laughter. My wife isn't intimidated at all. She's having huge fun and whle the 350 is a bit much, she's not bruised and not put off by it!

She ends the day burning off another 30 rounds of .223, 10 more rounds of .257 Bob, and a few more bunny rounds.

We celebrate with Ice Cream at ColdStone Creamery. I call this a HUGE success! The wife did really, really well with a rifle and we got to discover that she can handle .223, .257 Roberts, .35 Remington, and even a moderate .350 Mag without much trouble at all.

And while we gorged ourselves on needless calories and sugar she comments to me:

"Maybe I'll try hunting next year. When's Turkey Season? I think I could shoot one of them."

What a day!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornNice story,Lucky. At what range are you guys ringing that gong? fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
popcornNice story,Lucky. At what range are you guys ringing that gong? fishingroger

Inland Fish & Game Range, in Redlands.

And yeah, I'm one Lucky man!

Regards,

Robert

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed, a fine day for the two of you. Though you might be spending a good bit more on the "Ammo Budget" in the future. Big Grin

Best of luck to both of you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thumb thumb thumb

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wives that shoot and hunt are a blessing and a curse. Mine of 30 years this Jan is a deer and squirrel killing machine. She started squirrel hunting with her dad 40 years ago and now during deer season shoots a Ruger 77R in 7X57; last year 5 shots, 2 bucks and three does, all here in the mts of VA. She's a school teacher (4th grade) and always has skins, skulls, etc in her classroom for the kids to learn from. She also has a BS from UT Knoxville in Wildlife and Fisheries Science (that's where we met) and is always busy spreading the good word on hunting. The curse is I get to gut, drag, skin, and cut up all those deer for her!
Congrats on starting your wife out the right way. We could always use some more ethical, safe hunters amoungst us.
Walt

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love hearing stories like this. When I met my wife about 5 years ago, she was anti-gun, anti-hunting, not that she was a "rabid anti,", she just didn't see a use for it. Little by little, she changed her mind (I told her that I would quit hunting if she wanted, but I would not ever sell my rifles, so I didn't force her into anything.) I managed to convince her to try a couple of shots with my 6.5x55 a couple of years ago, and while she doesn't shot off the bench much, she is quite dangerous to the local deer population. I make sure it is on target, and she shoots the game. It is a good deal. Glad to hear that your wife and you can do another fun activity together.
Straight shooting and good hunting to both of you.
Graham

Posts: 264 | Location: Northern BC, Canada | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
stories like that make me alittle less glad I am a single guy.
Seems like you might have to buy your wife her own rifle soon.
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems like you might have to buy your wife her own rifle soon.

Speaking from almost 20 years of marriage, soon is after the first time she suggests that you two go shooting, and usually goes along the lines of "If you want to keep this ______, you will buy me one of my own!" Caution, teaching your wife that shooting is fun gets expensive . . . ., but worth it.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems like you might have to buy your wife her own rifle soon

My wife is my hunting shooting partner. Since she is barely 5'4 and I'm 6'2 nothing I have fits her. So she has hers and I have mine. But I get to clean both. Roll Eyes Sure fills up a safe in a hurry.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you've got her interest! You are indeed fortunate! By the end of next year, you will be finding it difficult to outshoot her! Just hope she doesn't decide to "adopt" your favorite rifle!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wizard78
posted Hide Post
Excellent story. I'm sure this will cost you money but well worth it. Starting her off on the AR was brilliant. Most non shooters don't see the AR as a civilian rifle. By letting a new shooter try it, you take the stigma of "evil assault rifle" out of the equation because it's such fun and easy to shoot. I had to get our Daughter her own AR after I let her try mine.

Posts: 1550 | Location: SE Florida | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife has several handguns and 3 shotguns but, alas, no rifles. Am I at risk for a neglect charge?

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeMichalski:
My wife has several handguns and 3 shotguns but, alas, no rifles. Am I at risk for a neglect charge?

No, but your wallet is at risk! rotflmo

I'm not sure which way my wife will go, but I AM pretty sure that she doesn't consider that AR mine anymore!

Oh well, I have another lower in the safe to build! jumping

Thanks for the positive kudos here guys. It sure is nice having a wife who shares hobbies!

Regards,

Robert

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a .243 thinking my wife might get into target shooting, and maybe deer hunting...and if not, I'd have another rifle!

Nope. She gets a real kick out of making small groups at 100 yds, rings the gong at 200 from the bench and is going to get enough confidence, she says, to try it offhand at 200.

Goes deer hunting with me, too.

And won't let me touch her rifle.

.30-06 Springfield: 100 yrs + and still going strong

Posts: 29 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: 06 October 2007Reply With Quote