THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Vintage Winchester 43 22 Hornet or Others

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintage Winchester 43 22 Hornet or Others
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have knowledge of the winchester model 43 in 22 hornet or 218bee?They look to be nice old rifles but never here any comments on the accuracy or anything?Also are they very expensive or rare?seems like old winchester small bores have been left out of discussions on fun varmint rifles and just wondered if there was a reason.....What are some old vintage rifles that would still be good shooters?Remington 788 in 222?Anyone gotta favorite to recommend?I just kinda like the vintage old rifles more than most new ones....

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A nice Model 43 will cost you about what a recent Kimber or Cooper would cost, so they're not exactly economical to buy. I agree that they would be fun to own and shoot.

I don't exactly think of the 788 as a "vintage" rifle, since I had been shooting for a number of years when it was introduced as an "entry" level product with its hardwood stock and plastic parts. It proved, however, to be more accurate than anyone would have believed and earned a great following.

The Savage Model 23 series, which was made in (I think) Hornet, Bee, and .25-20, qualifies as a "vintage" small rifle. There are still a few of them around and they're not particularly expensive (nor particulary well made or great shakes for accuracy), but would be interesting to piddle with.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend recently picked up a very nice Mod 43 in Hornet for $550. It was a long term "want" of his, and he is very pleased with its accuracy.
And I lucked into a Rem 788 in 222 back in Sep, mint condition. It's a keeper!
My other 788 in 222, acquired back in `91, became a 221 Fireball, and is still a favorite of mine.
A Savage 340, though butt-ugly, can also be an excellent shooter. They still show up from time to time, sometimes in great condition, in everything from Hornet to 30-30.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 43's are collectable and somewhat pricey, a buddy of mine fell into one in 218 Bee a little while back for a little under $400 at a gun show, no less! Nice rifle and shoots well too. As Stoncreek mentioned the Savage 23's are out there too, but they're in the $350-400 range now. I have two, a 25-20 and a Hornet, both very accurate with the right load. Neat old rifles. 23B (25-20) made 1923-42, 23D (Hornet) 1933-47, 23C (32-20) 1923-42. The 23A & AA were chambered in 22 Rimfire.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Say, Craigster, let's talk about those Savage 23's. I have one in .25-20 (unfortunately, highly modified by the previous owner or owners) that I haven't had much chance to work with. It appears that the barrel and action are machined from a single piece of metal. Is this correct? Since mine has had the barrel chopped and the stock monkeyed with, I would like to make it into a dedicated "kids" gun, but the barrel is rather heavy for this. Do you think it practical to have the barrel lathe-turned to a ligher contour in order to make a practical, lightweight kid gun? (Kid gun being for the kid to shoot, not for shooting kids, of course. )

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,
You're correct, the barrel/receiver on these riflle was one piece, original length was 25". I don't see any reason why you couldn't recontour the barrel. I like it, a custom 23! It would make a fun little gun. Do you have the magazine for the rifle? If so, keep an eye on it, they're somewhat scarce and overpriced too. Tell the kids they gotta use it single shot. The 25/20 is really fun to shoot, and from what I hear, they do real well with cast bullets. I haven't tried any yet, been using 86gr Rem RN's and 11grs 4198 in mine

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Varmit Guy. I just got a like new 722 in triple duece. It is off to the smith for a .172 barrel and a new tupperware stock when she comes home. It looked really nice. I did not want to shoot it, I was afraid it would find a home and I would need another donor action. The shop I got mine in has one highly customized. Thye are getting pricey. I would like to pick one up in 257 Roberts some day