THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    What kind of BC's do the various .14 cal bullets have?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of BC's do the various .14 cal bullets have?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What kind of BC and thus wind drift do the 15-20 gr. .14 cal bullets have? Is their low BC and thus fast loss of velocity the reason they are limited to 150 yd shots? Thanks.

<leo>
posted
Yes......so lets not go that small as they are hard to see.

<russ>
posted
I have heard of a 300 yard shot with a 15 grain that put a coyote down. It was a shoulder shot, which isn't a good place for a 14. It didn't stay down long, and it was lost, but it did go down hard.

I have an 8 1/2 twist barrel, and it shoots a 15 grain, but no heavier. A 7 twist shoots the 18 grain I have made at least. I think you can get down to a 5 twist. Interesting to note that I have exceeded the bullet weight with powder weight. The 15 grain must be pushed to at least 4300 with the 8 1/2 twist to shoot well.

I think it will take tungsten powder core bullets to go beyond 200 yards, hopefully matched with the 7s boattails I plan to make when I get the dies.

If anyone wants to do some math, my 17.5 grainers are .144 in diameter, the 6s ogive is .235 long, and the overall bullet length is .525. The meplat is .050.

russ