Find
Notify
Tools

25 cal bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted
For those looking for Hornady .257 117 gr round nose bullets, Midway had some in stock the other day, I ordered 2 boxes.
Leo

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 317 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish that Hornady would bring back the 100 gr flat base spire point Interlock. Very nice for the .250 Savage and .257 Roberts. Also nice in the .25-06. I miss them and would buy 10 boxes if I could find them.

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have some Hornaday #2540 bullets, .257", 100 grain spire point flat base with a cannelure. Not sure if this is what you want.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. Stock #2540. Those are the exact ones.

Would you like to move some along?

And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my three 250-3000s, one is a Ruger 77 and two are Savage 99s, the 110 gr. Accubond is a deer killing pouch and incredibly accurate..Lots of good 25 caliber bullets out there..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I will probably try a box of those too. For no apparent reason though, I like to stick with some of the old classics. Hornady and others have abandoned a lot of great old bullets though. Another one is the 175 gr 7mm round nose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with that..I recently found 4 boxes of 180 gr. Western tool and copper 30 cal. bullets, and some 348 win. Barnes X monolithic Hollow points..I like trying out those old bullets on game...One all time favorite with me is the old Winchester Western 130 gr. Hollow points in .270. Man, would they put Mule Deer down.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, and for the OP (44magLeo) thank you for the information. I ordered 2 boxes. This thread kind of ran away with itself (my fault), but thanks for the good info. It is appreciated.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H47:
I wish that Hornady would bring back the 100 gr flat base spire point Interlock.

I wasnt aware that they quit them.. Confused Lucky for me that I prefer the 117 grainers I guess.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10168 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was a bit nervous last year when my stalker in Scotland gave me his .25-05 with 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Shot one stag about 50 yards away and another at 340; IIRC both bullets completely penetrated.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
quote:
I wish that Hornady would bring back the 100 gr flat base spire point Interlock.

I wasnt aware that they quit them.. Confused Lucky for me that I prefer the 117 grainers I guess.

They also discontinued the 120gr HP Mad

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a half a dozen boxes of those HOrn. 117 gr RN, bought them for my 25-35, but found out they shoot like a bench rest rifle in my Sav. 99 Take down 250-3000 with the 1x14 twist!!! I then found out my old Savage will shoot any heavy bullet with a flat base, but won't shoot any boat tails...I wonder how many with the old 1x14 twist rifles have tried this..They should! tu2 it blows a lot of theory all to hell. I have seen this work on more than a few 1x14 twist rifles in 250 Savage..most all of which shot 100 gr. flat base bullets, even Noslers books says it ain't so, but it are so in a lot of cases!! tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I agree with that..I recently found 4 boxes of 180 gr. Western tool and copper 30 cal. bullets, and some 348 win. Barnes X monolithic Hollow points..I like trying out those old bullets on game...One all time favorite with me is the old Winchester Western 130 gr. Hollow points in .270. Man, would they put Mule Deer down.

Ray,

Do your .250-3000 rifles have 14" twists and if so, what is the heaviest bullet you have found to stabilize acceptably? I have a 99 Savage and a Kurz Mauser in that caliber, both with 14" twists, and have hesitated to use heavier bullets because I was concerned that they would not be accurate enough.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an unused box of western tool and copper works .257 cal 100gr bullets... I do have a 250 savage I should try them in, but like Ray the 110gr accubonds worked extremely well in a 25-284 I built. I've read about the fragile nature of those WTCW bullets and am hesitant to try them but have a strong urge to do so....

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
My 250 savage I built. Midway had the Adam's and Bennett barrels on sale to fit Savage rifles, I bought one. It then took a couple months to find a not to expensive Savage 11 to screw it into.
It has a 1-10 twist. It should stabilize most anything, I have tried Hornady and Sierra bullets from 90 to 100 grs. All seem to shoot well. I have some 117 gr Hornady SST's but haven't tried them yet. Saw the 117 gr Round noses and bought them.
I have a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag that I uses for short range, this 250 for mid ranges and a 280 Rem for longer ranges.
The round noses should work very well out to about 250 yards.
After all they have done so for many years.
It seems the older I get the more I tend to do things an old time way. I don't load for max velocity or shoot magnums. I like the lower power cartridges just fine, they work without all the noise and recoil.
Leo

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 317 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leo, I pretty much go along with your thinking. I like the older classic rounds and loads. My current .250 project is a parts pickup gun on a Remington 700 action, excellent 1984 date barrel from a Classic, and various dates of other parts. Like Johnny Cash ' s "One Piece at a Time..." might use a BDL stock, but am looking for a CDL right now. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
The older Savage 99,s twist rate varied quite a bit you never know till you measure them. The ones I have measured that were supposed to be 1 in 14 went from one in 13 to 1 in 14.5 which made sense because. The one in 13 would shoot most 100 gr bullets. And the one in 14.5 twist would not.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
More bullet theory 101... I just unpacked the Hornady 117 gr RN bullets and noticed something interesting. They are actually shorter than the Hornady 100 gr SP flat bases. By about .030". So given that bullet stability in a given rifling pitch is directly related to bullet length, it would make sense that a barrel that shoots the 100 grainers well would also shoot the 117's well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Xausa,
I have found that most 100 gr. flat base bullets and RN shoot in most 1x14 twist, the 117 gr. Hornady RN has shot in 3 1x14 savage 99s Ive owned, and in fact was the most accurate bullet in all three. Its was designed for the 25-35 and velocities if 2200 to 2300 FPS, but its a sho nuff hammer on Whitetail and mule deer..

not one of these 1x14 twist 25 caliber guns would shoot any boattail bullets or any Nosler ballistic tip..Interresting in that even Nosler states in their reloading book that bullets heavier than 85 grs won't shoot or something on that order...

The real problem is so many pass on what they read as fact, and few have even tried the heavier bullets in their 1x14 twisted guns. Mostly Savage owners.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my three 250-3000s, one is a Ruger 77 and two are Savage 99s, the 110 gr. Accubond is a deer killing pouch and incredibly accurate..Lots of good 25 caliber bullets out there..

+ 1. I can't compare it to lot of other 25 cal bullets,.....no doubt good,.....but the 110 gr Accubond in a 25-06 is a stone cold killer of whitetail. Expansion and penetration are both excellent. Use it with very high confidence.

Cheers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having good results with 120gr partitions in my 257 Roberts. Also have some 117gr BTSP loaded up as well

Posts: 129 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 11 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I heard that Nosler quit making the 110 25cal Accubond as well.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt: where id you hear that? The bullet is still listed on their website. thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olarmy:
Matt: where id you hear that? The bullet is still listed on their website. thanks

I don't recall where I heard it. It was a year or two ago. In any case, Midway and other outfits are selling them, so I must have heard wrong. Could be that they stoped making them for a while during the great component shortage to catch up on production of the top sellers?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought 10 boxes of Hornady 117 gr. RN at our local gun show, so Im fixed up for as long as I can last..I also have 6 boxes of 110 gr. Accubonds that I shoot in my Ruger 77, 250-3000, its a tack driver, but hey, aren't all 250s tack drivers, Ive owned a bunch of them and everyone shot an inch or better everytime..Im totally sold on the caliber, it all began in 1949!!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

25 cal. rifles for the most part are not big sellers these days. no one chambers 250 Savage, not many do 257 roberts and a few more do 25-06. So what bullet company needs to manufacture a wide range of 257 products

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Very true Fasteel and that's a shame.
Never had any trouble finding 117 Sierra's which is my go to bullet but I would love to find some 110 Accubonds, they are out of stock everywhere local and all the usual suspects on line.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And shortly after discontinuing the 100 and 120gr Interlocks, they have introduced a new 25 cal bullet: 110gr Flex Tip designed for the 25-35! Makes no sense to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are lots of 25 cal. bullets in 60, 75, 87, 100, 117, 120 gr. out there, Always has been. Ive been shooting them for years in my 25-35, 250-3000 all along, and some 257 Robts, both std. and IMP, 25-06, 257 Wby, just to name a few, The 25 ain't dead yet, nor will it ever be..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I actually think .25 caliber is more popular with manufacturers than .277 bullets.
Sierra makes at least 11 different .257" bullets and only 9 in .277"
10 different varieties of 6.5/.264"
Different manufacturers may be following different trends in bullet wants of ammunition makers as well as reloaders.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are lots of 25 cal. bullets in 60, 75, 87, 100, 117, 120 gr. out there, Always has been. Ive been shooting them for years in my....240 Wby..

Better be careful shooting 25 cal. Bullets in a 240, Ray. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never have any trouble finding 115 grain Partitions. That's all my Roberts will ever need.

Posts: 78 | Location: Perkinston, MS | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Olarmy,
I was wondering why those recover bullets were keyholing!! faint Thanks for the heads up, I went back and fixed it..257 Wby.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sierra still makes its counterpart that it was designed to compete with though. Wink

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10168 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a .257 Wby and a 25 WSSM and they like three bullets. A 100 grain Barnes TSX, 115 and 120 grain Nosler Partitions. I was lucky enough to buy 15 sacs of the 120 grain Partition blems for a song therefore I will have enough for even my Great Grandsons. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote