THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    What new varmit rifle to build?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What new varmit rifle to build?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Here you go GD

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
OK now that the wife has pretty much taken over my 22-250 I need a new varmint riflr for myself.

I have a varmint RRA 223 that is more accurate than I am so looking for something a touch bigger.

I have several Mark X actions and a couple of stocks for drop in so looking at a std bolt face. May need to see about swapping for a short box mauser bottom metal.

My old 22-250 is a slow twist was thinking about something with a faster twist in case I want to shoot heavy bullets at deer. Yes I know the simplest and cheapest would be simply a second 22-250. But what fun is that. Big Grin

So what would you build on a std face bolt and taking in consideration you might want to toss a heavy bullet now and then. Most shooting would be Prairie dogs
The ol' versatile .257 Bob shoots bullets from 60 to 120 grainers. Built off a large 7X57 case, it can be loaded hot at over 3,500 fps or faster for light loads. A good caliber is not the most important factor in accuracy. It's all about the proper tuning of the components. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.257_Roberts Have fun.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5238 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote