THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    What new varmit rifle to build?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What new varmit rifle to build?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
OK now that the wife has pretty much taken over my 22-250 I need a new varmint riflr for myself.

I have a varmint RRA 223 that is more accurate than I am so looking for something a touch bigger.

I have several Mark X actions and a couple of stocks for drop in so looking at a std bolt face. May need to see about swapping for a short box mauser bottom metal.

My old 22-250 is a slow twist was thinking about something with a faster twist in case I want to shoot heavy bullets at deer. Yes I know the simplest and cheapest would be simply a second 22-250. But what fun is that. Big Grin

So what would you build on a std face bolt and taking in consideration you might want to toss a heavy bullet now and then. Most shooting would be Prairie dogs

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
243....58 or 70gr V-Max for varmint, 100gr for Deer and Antelope.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

My fault. I have a 243, 6mm and 2 25-06's sitting in the safe so thinking 22 cal.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Carolina Man
posted Hide Post
Paul,
Build you a 6BR or a 22 BR with a fast twist barrel. Shoot all weight bullets in the 6mm or 55 and up in the 22BR. Both are good for PD or deer with heavier bullets. IF you want to fool with a wildcat look at a 22 or 6 Dasher. I like my Weatherby Rocket but would not build another one. Would just stay with a standard Swift with a fast twist barrel.

George

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau

Posts: 135 | Location: Hurricane Alley North Carolina | Registered: 26 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Build you a 6BR or a 22 BR with a fast twist barrel

I have trouble seeing a BR feeding even from a short box mauser. Any experience?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6/7 BR supposedly feed fine out of 22-250 based mini-mausers from the couple people I've talked to. On a standard length action blocking the rear of the mag would probably be the way to go. I've seen instructions for how to do it on a Rem 700 and I'd think that the basic tenants would apply to the Mauser. The .22BR is about the ballistic twin to the 22-250. I've got one planned for a 24/47 action but it's a ways down the road. If it were for varmints only I'd put a single load block in, but if you may use it on deer or predators a magazine would be handy.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:

My fault. I have a 243, 6mm and 2 25-06's sitting in the safe so thinking 22 cal.

Paul, hope your not build 22 cal to shoot deer here (Co) sure haven't changed from minimum being 6mm.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
hope your not build 22 cal to shoot deer here (Co) sure haven't changed from minimum being 6mm

Nope more like the little 70-80# does on my Buddies Tx place. Maybe speed goats non CO. I'd bet 99.9% of the shooting would be light bullets. After the 224TTH I guess I got some interest in a heavy 22cal. But after doing a little looking other than TX not sure where I would use the heavy bullets. Seems a waste for paper or dogs.

Latest Wyoming does list 22 cal 60gr as minimum for deer and antelope.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Build a Duece and get your 22-250 back after the first time your wife shoots the Duece. She will fall in love with the 222.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Build a Duece

Std face actions. Frowner

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
You seem to like speed... what about something SMALLER like a 17-223 or 17 rem. They are a ton of fun!

I am back from a long Hiatus... or whatever.
Take care.
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.22/250AI with the standard 28 degree shoulder angle. Much rarer than the 40 degree shoulder version but dies are available.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If I wasn't trying to minimize the cost of this rifle by using a std action and stock I have I would be considering something like the 223 204 etc. Not sure about the 17s very limited experience.

As to an AI. While I have several as well as wildcats many just because I want to be different I can't see the AI on the 22-250. To get a benefit with heavy bullets I feel a larger case is needed. But doing the 28RCBS just to be different than the 40AI would have been me in my younger days for sure. dancing

If I was still in TX without a doubt it would be the 224TTH or Clark. Yep way more capcity than I need for a pretty much dog rifle. After that maybe one of the 22-243 versions. Heck years ago I might have gone with something larger.

Never really been a swift fan. Maybe it is the rim. Dang I keep swinging back around to a 22-250 with faster twist. Roll Eyes Which is a darn good choice why can't I get a warm and fussy.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simplify-use the original 250 Savage-

85 gr Nosler BT @3000 fps 1-10 twist

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carolina Man
posted Hide Post
Paul,
I was a big fan of the old Clark round always had good luck with it then. Now with better bullets and powders it would be great for a PD rifle if shooting long range. Which is the very reason I built my Rocket. But for a run of the mill PD rifle it's really hard to beat a 22-250 with a 9 twist. Or better yet build a 22-250 AI, helps with the case life.

I have another 220 Swift in work with an 8 twist barrel. And I expect it will do all I want for long range PD's.

George

Posts: 135 | Location: Hurricane Alley North Carolina | Registered: 26 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or better yet build a 22-250 AI, helps with the case life.

I hear that all the time. I've had and have a number of AIs and Gibbs style wildcats. After I add in the fireforming I've never really been able to see a longer case life. I trim mine short and let them grow so I don't even get by with less trimming.

Maybe if I loaded down I would see it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What did you have in mind?
You eliminated all but 22 cal.
You eliminated all bolt faces except .473.
You eliminated the 22/250.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
What did you have in mind?
You eliminated all but 22 cal.
You eliminated all bolt faces except .473.
You eliminated the 22/250.

Yep for this rifle this build I'm staying with a std face. Why simply because I have 3 actions and at least 2 stocks I could simply drop the rifle in do a quick bedding and go shooting.

I admit when I started I was leaning towards 22 cal. I just happen to have a 243, 6mm and couple 25-06. The 2 6mm rifles make good varmint rifles and I've used them often. So don't need another in that caliber. The 25-06 is TOOO much for me to shoot PD with. Just don't need that much blast, recoil etc. For coyote darn right works great. The mention of 250 savage did get me thinking about a 257 Roberts. Not that in a light bullet it is that much better than the 250 but I have several 100 cases, dies and always wanted another Roberts. Plus the longer case would function in the std action without a spacer in the back.

As to the 22-250 as I said logical choice and still probably front runner. While I love the idea of larger case with heavier 22 cal bullets with 99.9% of my shooting near future being PD close to home burning extra powder for light bullet shooting doesn't make much sense. Guess this is more of a bargain build vs a what do I want starting from scratch.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go retro!

Build a .225 Winchester, short heavy barrel. Dedicate it to varmints.

You have several better deer rifles already.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
AI the .243 case and size the neck down to .224
in a 1:8 barrel....or has someone already done
that?

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
AI the .243 case and size the neck down to .224
in a 1:8 barrel....or has someone already done

I know the cheetahs middlestead etc use the 243 case and various lengths and shoulder angles. I know the 6mm as been AId and necked down. Don't know about the 243.

But in all my years of playing with AIs doing one on the 243 case made the least amount of sense to me. I know others think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:

I know the cheetahs middlestead etc use the 243 case and various lengths and shoulder angles. I know the 6mm as been AId and necked down. Don't know about the 243.

But in all my years of playing with AIs doing one on the 243 case made the least amount of sense to me. I know others think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Barrel makers love those blown out, small-bore AI's....they get plenty of return customers.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for their imput. After counting the number of bullets I have on the loading shelves it will be another 22cal. As of this typing it will be a 22-250. Since I no longer live in TX a case large enough to give good velocity with a 80gr just doesn't make sense. While the twist will be faster than my old 1in14 don't think it will be a 1 in 8. Probably a twist fast enough for the 60s.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I did this last year. Twist was of the main concern. 1-14 was to stabilize 50-52grainers. Had a 1-12 twist that did better (now owned by a grandson). I ordered a 1-10 twist because I wanted to ensure stabilization of 60-63 bullets. It has proven itself perfect for my shooting here in Colorado...and even has done well with bullets as light as 40 grains!

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I ordered a 1-10 twist because I wanted to ensure stabilization of 60-63 bullets.

tu2 That is the direction I'm leaning.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I read down through the thread to try and formulate my answer it appears you came to the correct answer, for me anyway, With the faster twist you will be able to shoot some of the longer monometals like Barnes. A solid copper 62 grain bullet going just under 3600 fps can get a lot of work done.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You would be really happy with a 10 twist Roberts and 70gr Blitz kings or 75gr Vmax. But if the inventory of 22caliber bullets is on the high side and considering the actions you mentioned, a 22-250 makes sense. I have a couple of 9 twist 22/243 Middlesteds for longer range PDs, but they are not meant for volume shooting. I just added a 6mmBR and in the process of building a 25BR to add to my 223's and 22ppc for the volume shooting. The BR's are great cases, but feed so poorly I just make them a single shot. It is easier knowing you have to load another cartridge then being disappointed with a jam.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been considering a fast twist barrel for my 22-250 as I expect this next 1000 bullets is going to be the end of varmint accuracy.
Lately I have read a good bit on the 6xc and am thinking this may be my huckleberry. I really like the explosive qualities of the Berger hunting VLD bullets in a couple of other calibers I shoot, but they don't make that lighter jacketed bullet in the .22 VLD's. Maybe the 75 gr A-Max is thin skinned enough to word at 7-800 yards?

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
220 Swift, std. or AI. Never look back.

One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
I agree w/ BL O'Conner. Why not a .225 Winchester? I have one and there is nothing else like it. Why have something that everyone else has? I like the uniqueness of it.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
220 Swift with a 1-7 twist barrel!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6mm-250 with 8 twist

Posts: 285 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 12 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
WEll found a 1 in 9 Douglas med sporter in 22cal for about half the going rate. I was thinking of a 1 in 10 but this one should work great. Will be a plain Jane 22-250. Barrel will be stuck on a std MKX and the med sporter barrel will basically be a drop in for a stock I have standing in the corner.

I can't argue at all with the 257 Roberts suggestion. I had one one and regret selling it still after about 20 yrs. But at the time some rifles had to be sold to build the new. It for sure is on my list of chambering I want again. In fact debating with myself about pulling the barrel from a 25-06 safe queen to build a 257.

I also think that the lower recoil 22-250 will allow me to get back to shooting quicker this summer. Seems like this second time I've had my sterum cut is taking a lot longer to heal. Frowner Been 7 weeks and I still dread sneezing. shocker

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 243 Ackley Improved that is very accurate with several loads.. 1:10 twist, 24 inch barrel. It works in the range 70 - 95 grs bullets.

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was studying the Berger load manual tonight, comparing the 6XC to 22-250. The '250 with 26" barrel was showing just over 3000 FPS with 90 gr. bullets. G1 BC was .551 or thereabouts. This compares favorably with the 105 gr. bullets from the XC. I may just go with a fast twist '250 after all. I already have a set of Redding Comp dies and 300 pieces of bench prepped brass.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of 22-378 Ackley Improved reamers, if you want to go the Berserker route...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a set of 22-378 Ackley Improved reamers

Thanks for the offer but I'll have to pass. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
220 swift with an 8 twist.

Posts: 167 | Location: Rockwall (Dallas), TX | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
Necking down the 243 to 22 caliber will give you similar velocities to the Swift on a short action. Brass is available or at least in the parent round and the 308 case.
It meets your speed requirment, the standard bolt face works, it is similar to the 25 Souper which has a very small following and you could be the first on your block to own one.
(then the commercial goes on to say that you have to act in the next 10 minutes to get it for this one time low price of $$$$$

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i just built a 25-06 from a mauser 24/47 small ring
laminated thumb hole stock,glass bed,free floated,added also bipod and night vision
if I could get pictures to show,I would post

right click on spot and tell it to view image