Find
Notify
Tools

80gr TTSX bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Howdy fellas

I have been lucky enough to be drawn for trphy antelope here in albeta, the hunt will be in southern alberta where the wind can be brisk. I plan to use my unfired L61R Deluxe in 25-06 that has been siting in the closet waiting for this draw. Iam thinking about using the TTSX 80gr bullet for this hunt, have any of you fine gentlemen tried out this Barnes bullet. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Barnes will work fine as long as you hit major bone. I would shoot for the shoulder to anchor the animal, or they my run forever with that bullet.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try the hornady 117 sst or 120 gr hollow point with reloader 22. dad and I have used these bullets for years in my 25.06 and his 257 wby the shoot excellent and the performance on game is outstanding..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Early reports in our tight little circle are putting it at "deadly" when used in a .257 Weatherby. Oddly, I never thought much of the 100 grain TSX in the same cartridge, too many "runners".

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
Early reports in our tight little circle are putting it at "deadly" when used in a .257 Weatherby. Oddly, I never thought much of the 100 grain TSX in the same cartridge, too many "runners".

Dog
Any thoughts on the 110gr Accubond from a 25-06? Thanks FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
f-s,

I've been using the Barnes .257" 80 gr. TTSX's in my 25-06 Remington R93 Blaser for quite a while and they are suberbly accurate with my load of H-4831, R-P nickel cases, Federal 210 primer and a Lee Factory Crimp Die crimped into the foremost relief groove of the bullet.

AA-4350 was an outstanding powder but ran into availability issues here so used my stand-by supply of H-4831 which is actually a tad on the slow-burner side for this bullet. Haven't chronyed them yet, though.

I've handily dispatchded Wild Boar, exclusively mid-sized Porkers, Fallow Deer, Fawns, Does & Bucks and Roe Deer, Fawns, Does & Bucks.

Don't get me wrong it is a superb bullet with supposedly very good velocity outa a 25-06 Rem and the bullet itself is just a tad smaller in mass than many a vanilla-flavored Cup n' Core 100 grainer.

It'll work for sure but I've switched to the 100 gr. TTSX's as IMO they thump stuff with a whole different level of authority than the 80 grainers. I also had two hickups with this bullet, just weird exit wounds but the animals were DRT. When you hunt as much as I do strange stuff happens.

Have fun with your choice and Waidmannsheil on your Speedgoat hunt.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a number of antelope with a 25-06 and 257 WBY. I used a 100 gr Nosler BT and had exceptional results every time.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son used that bullet in a .243 on antelope in Texas and dropped him. I see no issues with it.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can assure you that the 80 grain Tipped TSX bullet from a 25-06 is quite deadly on antelope.

I have shot several in New Mexico with that bullet and had very good performance. Complete pass throughs on all shots, no bullets recovered.

I shoot a near Max load of IMR 4831 behind the 80 grain TTSX in Remington cases and use Fed210M primers. This load chronographs at 3600 fps and gives great groups in my 25-06.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hitting bone to open a TTSX is a huge misconception. It is not necessary. They do like/need to be ran hard, but I have killed coues deer with out hitting bone out to 550 yard with the 100 TTSX from my 257 wby and they have dropped in the spot with perfect bullet performance.

Posts: 127 | Location: Marana/Tucson, Az | Registered: 21 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I use the 80 gr TTSX in my 243 at 3415 fps. To date, I've taken a handful of antelope and whitetails with this little combination. I've been very pleased with the results so much so, I'm planning on taking the combination with me to South Africa next year and use it on some smaller PG critters.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
DogAny thoughts on the 110gr Accubond from a 25-06? Thanks FS

For some weird reason I could never get those bullets to shoot in any .25 caliber so haven't taken a single game animal with them.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 80 grain TSX is quite functional for your purpose, but the 90 grain Sierra HPBT Gameking was Gods gift to the antelope hunter armed with a 25-06! They are fast, tough for a cup and core, very accurate, cheap, easy to load with several powders, and best of all they kill like electricity with perfect mushrooms, minimal rose wound, and nice silver dollar exits...perfect.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I used it last year and will again this year.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...131049081#9131049081

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tried 1 load with Hybrid 100 powder and my Sako didn't seem to like the bullet powder combination.
Might try those 90gr Sierra's.

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I used the 117 SST in my 257 Bob 2 weeks ago to take my Pronghorn. It worked very well. I had intended to shoot my 243 with 80 grain TTSX but the wind and weather spooked me a bit and I decided to go with the quarter bore.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lads

I have decided to for go the 80gr bullet in favor of all of the current types of 257 bullets I currently own. The best ones so far have been the Hornday 120gr HP's with 49gr of imr 4350, still messing with the Accubond 110's and reloder 22. Can't get anything nice at all with the hornady 117 interlocks, nor the TSX 100, or 120gr grandslam. Thanks for everyones opinions, FS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 85 gr. Barnes and GS customs bullets in my 250-3000, on deer and they are awesome.

I have not taken a going away Texas heart shot, but I am fairly sure they would do the job as I have yet to recover a bullet on any broadside or angling shot with either of these bullets.

That said if I was hunting in thick stuff or Texas brush, where a going south close shot was on the menu much of the time then I would opt for a 100 gr. monolithic or a 117, 120 gr. Hornady or Speer at 2800 FPS..

I got real lucky, my very old Savage mod 99E has a 1x14 twist but it shoots all bullet weights right at an inch or better..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Fasteel, I've had a couple different 25-06s shoot 100 ballistic tips very well, using H4350.

Posts: 51 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 14 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would bet anyone dollars to donuts that the 80 and 85 gr. Monolithic bullets like Barnes and GS customs will out penetrate any 100 or 117 gr. cup and core bullet and probably partition bullets as well... They do penetrate like crazy..

I have seen them fail,(that was early on when they were new,) to open up and I think that on ocassion they got the hollow point pinched shut. I have not heard or had any problems in several years now.

I do suggest that 150 gr. Monolithic has the same or better penetration than other 180 gr. bullets.. I can't tell much difference in the 150 gr. TTX and the 180 Noslers in my 300 H&H. or the 232 gr. GS Customs and the 286 gr. Woodleigh in my 9.3x62...It seems you can always drop down bullet weight with the monolithic and pick up some velocity..I am slowing comeing around to Barnes X bullets, and I have been a hold out for more than a few years.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use them for ground squirrels in a .257 Roberts Ackley Improved. The little Barnes TTSX at 3,585 fps shoots right at .5" for 10 shots @ 100 yards. I had some concern about them opening on small varmints, but that wasn't a problem. True any bullet traveling at that velocity will hydrostatically disrupt tissue, but these bullets were not punching a hole through without expanding. Below is a photo of a ground squirrel hit by an 80 grain TTSX at about 100 yards:

Another hit at just under 200 yards:

When I sent an email to Barnes with photos of the results, the reply was that they (the TTSX) must be opening earlier than they thought. Still, I'd expect them to completely penetrate any smaller deer or antelope.

Just be sure that you seat them .050" off the lands. This is vital to them shooting well. I mean exactly .050" off the lands, not .010", or .020" but right at .050". I chased groups all over the place until I seated the TTSX at exactly .050" off the lands - then the groups shrank as if by magic. Barnes recommends seating the TSX and TTSX between .050" and .070" off the lands, they weren't kidding.

Also be aware that the 100 grain TTSX is marginally stable in a 1:10" twist barrel, according to the stability calculator at http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi. Depending on the actual twist rate of your barrel it may not be as accurate as hoped. If I were to build another .257 Roberts Ackley, I'd opt for a 1:9" twist.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wrangler

I was at the range last friday sighting 3 rifles in at 300 yards, first was the 6.5x55 , done, 25-06, done. Then I had one clean target left and my AI that I had only shot the day before at 100 yards and I was 4 inches high with 100gr TSX bullets and a stout load of imr 4350. My rifle is a Win feather XTR in 257 roberts that was reamed out to AI. My scope is a bushnell 3200 4-12. I was just guessing that at 4 inches high at 100 I should be on the paper at 300, so I hold at the center and fire, check the spotting scope and I cannot find a hole anyplace. So I think I must be low and go up 12 clicks and shoot again still no hole. The range goes cold so I decide I'm walking down to 300 and see whats what? My first shot was dead center in the black of the bull and my 2nd was right above it 12 inches high in the lettering of the target manufacturer. just had to bring her back down. Pretty sure my factory rifle is a 10 twist and I had not much luck finding a load that accurate with any other bullet. Pm me if you would like to know how stout the 4350 load is. I have no sticky bolt or any other pressure signs. FS