Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Antelope
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted
This was 10-7-2012 on the second day of antelope season. On the first day my son and I got 490 yards yards from some goats but we didnt shoot. We were waiting for them to get closer but they went the other way instead.

On the second day we saw some goats a long way off and decided to go for them. Which went from a sprint at first to hiding, more sprinting hiding and sprinting until it came to the last ridge where we snuck the last ten feet which took over 30 minutes to get in position cause of some nearby deer we made sure not to spook. We were about 300 yards for the first shot(s).

My son made three attepts at the buck while I shot the doe then when I figured my son wasnt going get any more chances I shot the buck also.

After the first shot the buck and his approx 15 does got up and ran around the base of the hill we were on. When the got out of sight we ran over the top of the hill and actually were only about 200 yards away as they passed around the hill. It was here that I shot both goats.

It was fun although I really had hoped my son would have gotten his buck. My son son yelled "you got him" excitedly when I dropped the buck. He said he was excited about getting the buck even though I was the one who shot it.

I filled my tags now I we will try to get both my boys there antelope. We drew on a party hunt so they both have two tags also. Except this time if they miss they will get to watch them all run off.

I used a 25-06 with 80 grain Barnes TTSX loaded at 3690 FPS. Exits on both critters and I would guess that the petals came of both bullets as the exit holes were small. the Coyote I got on the first day same gun and load at 200 yards and it made a baseball sized exit.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
very cool! i can't wait until my kids are ready to hunt.

that's a scrongy looking coyote!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What unit were you hunting?

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Just south of Great Falls on some block management land that I hunt.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
My son shot his first Antelope on the 13th.
He missed his first shot with his 30-06 and short stroked the bolt which jammed his rifle. I handed him my rifle and he hit this buck twice.

Winchester mod 70 223 WSSM, Barnes 53 TTSX at 3795 fps.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Excellent job and quick thinking on handing him the other rifle.

Congrats!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote