THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    The .221 Fireball and Lil Gun....

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The .221 Fireball and Lil Gun....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone else get really high velocity with less than max charges of Lil Gun?? Just returned from a range session with a friend whose Cooper rifle in .221 Fireball spoke for the first time.

15.5 of Lil Gun with the 40 VMax averaged 3500 fps (alright, 3499.x for the picky - I can't remember the value of x). Brass was RP factory, primer was Federal 205. The 40 Barnes VLC with the same powder charge averaged 50 fps less, which I attribute to the blue coating reducing pressure.

While the rifle has a 24" barrel, this still strikes me as rather high velocity. The Hodgdon web site shows 16.0 of Lil Gun with a 40 Ballistic Tip giving 3380 from a 24" barrel.

The 45 Barnes-X over 14.5 of Lil Gun gave 3300+.

Thanks for the input.

BigIron

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure have. See the thread a few days back on the 221 Fireball for my findings. Search "small calibers" or "varmint hunting" for other LilGun observations.
It is an unusual powder!

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is some great speed out of the Fireball, what was the accuracy like?

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
40 gr Sierra HP or Horn Vmax's usually go into 0.6" out of my converted Rem 788. The 30's have given similar accuracy at more modest (3600fps) speeds; the max LilGun loads strung out to just under an 1".

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mulerider:
40 gr Sierra HP or Horn Vmax's usually go into 0.6" out of my converted Rem 788.

can you give a description of how the 788 was modified, what work was done on it?

thanks,
-tincan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Took a perfectly good 222 Rem 788, and had the barrel setback and finished reamed to 221 Fireball. The `smith that did it also tweaked the trigger somehow (not easy on 788's).
Cartridge feed from the 222 magazine is not flawless, but does work well.