THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    6.5 Nosler Partition performance on game

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Nosler Partition performance on game
 Login/Join

<Royce Gladden>
posted
I am interested in reloading the 125 grain
Nosler Partition for my 6.5 Swede. If any-
one out there uses this round I would like
to hear how it has performed for you.

Regards, Royce

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Royce,
I have two 6.5s (a ruger and a winchester) and have a call into my gunsmith looking for a steyr forester. The 125 nosler shoots well in both the ruger (3 shots 1" or less at 100yds.) and the winchester (3 shots 1.5" or less at 100yds). I took a spike ( at 125yds) and an 8 point (at 100yds) whitetail last year with the 125 nosler and was well pleased. I also shot a 7 point with the 140gr speer (it shot a little better in the winchester) and was not happy at all. I now shoot the nosler in both rifles.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Royce Gladden>
posted
mark65x55,

Thanks for the reply! I had some Federal
shells a couple of years ago loaded with
a 140 grain Nosler Partition that performed
superbly on deer. Unfortunately Federal
no longer manufactures that load. Velocity
was a bit slow but accuracy was excellent.
The deer I shot with it dropped as if their
feet had been jerked from under them. I was
curious as to how well the 125 grain per-
formed by way of comparison to the 140 grain
round. I appreciate your comments.

Regards, Royce

P.S. My Ruger loves the 129 grain Light Mag-
num load by Hornady. The first two shots of
a three shot group go into less than half an
inch. The third shot is usually thrown out
slightly, opening the group to about an inch
and a quarter or a little more. Have you
ever used that load?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Royce,
No, I have not used the Hornady, as I handload. I have tried the 130gr X in both rifles, but could not get the accuracy I was looking for. In my 7mm wby the X is very accurate and is great on deer. In 27 deer I have not recovered one bullet and have trailed very few. But in the 6.5s and a 257wby I had the X was a 2" to 3" bullet. As I'm told this is the way it goes with the X. either your rifle will shoot it or it want.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mark 65X55 you have mail

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Slamfire>
posted
I've used the 140s with great success on 5 middlin' sized elk, and 3 big caribou. But a buddy of mine Poleaxed his elk with a 129 Hornady out of a 6.5 Rem. Mag. That bullet shoots right well in both of my .260s so that's what I'm using right now. Worked perfectly on a couple of hogs, that weren't overly large. I see no reason not to expect sterling performance from the 125 Partition, I just don't have any.

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Royce

I just worked up a load for the 125 gr partition a couple of months ago. 2550 fps. So far I have shot a half dozen or so small deer (roe and muntjac) with the 125 partition. As you would expect it has worked perfectly on these small deer.

I am going after sterner stuff over the next few weeks � red fallow and sika females are all on the menu between now and February. I hope to kill something this weekend and I�ll let you know the outcome.

------------------
Regards

Richard

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Royce Gladden>
posted
Deerdogs;

I enjoyed getting your post. If you don't
mind I would like to ask a few questions
about rifle shooting in the UK. Americans
hear so much about the strict gun laws in
Britain, concerning mainly handguns, but we
seldom hear anything about restrictions on
rifle shooting. What controls are there,
if any? Are you limited to certain calibers?
There are few restrictions here because of
the wide open expanses available for shooting
and hunting. I have been to Britain a couple
of times but never left the greater London
area where things are heavily urbanized.
Space for target shooting and hunting would
appear to be quite limited there. What types
of big-game are available for hunting?

Regards,

Royce

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Royce

Damn and there was me about to do some work�
Handguns. I believe it is still technically possible to own a working non-antique handgun but the circumstances make it too difficult so forget them (unless you are a criminal of course).

Pretty much anyone over 17 years can apply to hold a shotgun license � which allows the holder to own any number of shotguns, but pumps and semi autos cannot hold more than three cartridges. A Firearm license is slightly more difficult to obtain � you need to show good reason for each and every rifle you own. It simply deters the casual user. A serious target shot or hunter should have no problem unless he has a serious criminal record or suffers from psychological problems. Semi auto larger than .22 are not normally permitted. You can apply for everything from a .17 to a .700, however you are not likely to be given a permit for a 375H&H or up unless you can demonstrate that a trip to Africa is on the cards.

All wild game belongs to the land owner who controls the numbers of game shot. There are statutory close seasons.

Bird shooting Grouse Partridge Pheasant, Woodcock, waterfowl etc generally goes from mid August - �The Glorious Twelfth� to end of January. In fact I�ll be shooting some pheasants on Saturday which should be good as we have had a bit of frost this past week.

Deer:- We have Red, Fallow, Sika, Roe, Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer. The close seasons work so that the females are in season from November- February, and the Males are in season from April through to October (this is for roe it differs for Red and Fallow and Sika). Generally speaking, there is always deer on the menu wherever and whenever. There are some feral wild boar in some areas.

Some area of south east England around London are pretty much concrete, but the further away from the capital the more countryside is found. All of non-upland land is farmed but there is a good number of forests and smaller pockets of woodland. Some of the smaller species roe and muntjac are colonising the semi urban fringes of large towns. I once shot a roe buck in my back garden � he had a leg hanging off as a result of a traffic accident some weeks before. That was when we lived 20 miles from the centre of London.

The country is awash with deer � some expert recently said that there were now more deer here now than at anytime since Norman times (11th Century). The extra good thing about this is that although quite a lot of people shoot birds, only a small number shoot deer. If it were not for this pesky job I reckon I could go out and kill a deer every day of the week if I was inclined to do so. I am in a privileged position as I have permission to hunt on 27,000 acres in total but mainly one large block of Defence land.

There are various voluntary hunting qualifications and it is likely that in future these may become mandatory.

Hope this dispels the myth that there is no hunting in the UK!

------------------
Regards

Richard

one of us
posted Hide Post
Richard, are you a wealthy man? Do you have some sort of advantage by way of relationship (i.e. friends) or connections that give you access to hunt? Just a curious yank, Mike.

Posts: 140 | Location: Irmo, SC | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike in SC:
Richard, are you a wealthy man? Do you have some sort of advantage by way of relationship (i.e. friends) or connections that give you access to hunt? Just a curious yank, Mike.

No, I am far from wealthy. Both me and the wife work full time and we each do a 65 hour week (door to door). We have no children. We do not smoke and do not drink (much). She has her horse and I have my shooting.

I stalk deer on Defence land by virtue of being an ex servicemen and now reservist. My 8 days/ year on the pheasants cost me �100/day, 5 days on Grouse cost �50/day (deal of the century), I have a lease on some Forestry commission woodland @ �500/year. I am in a wildfowling club @ �50/ year = unlimited wildfowl in season.

I wish I owned Scottish sporting estate but I don't. Maybe one day I'll win the lottery.

------------------
Regards

Richard

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Royce, I've been shooting this Nosler for years in the 6.5 Rem mag both in Rem 700 and 660. I really like it. Can't remember how many Texas whitetails but I've never lost one. I'm considering rebarreling a CZ 527 carbine in 7,62 X 39 to 6.5 X 39R and will try the 125 gr. Nosler in this rifle.

Happy shooting.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<LReynolds>
posted
I have killed 6 or 7 Texas whitetails using the 125g Nos Partitions in my 6.5-06. It is a fantastic bullet, I always get complete penetration.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
i've used this bullet to kill two whitetail bucks. both were broadside, high shoulder shots at 60-80 yrds. both deer were hit in the spine. i know this is getting weird but both were also killed right after sundown exactly i year apart. in both cases penetration was complete. i don't have any complaints about this bullet...bud

------------------
blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 140 nosler in a .264 for years and have no complaints. You don't recover many bullets except at extreme ranges. I have witnessed a bunch of elk taken with this bullet and can recall no failures.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 140 gr version of Nosler Partitions have been a long time favorite in Sweden for moose, large deer etc. I've seen it used with good results many times. Lately they seem to have lost ground to Normas own bullets, particulary Vulcan and the new Oryx, but this is also a matter of cost.

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote