New
Find
Notify
Tools

.25 HPBT
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is the Sierra 90 gr. Gameking HPBT #1615 in a 20" 250 savage a good bullet choice for whitetail.

one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CLK320:
Is the Sierra 90 gr. Gameking HPBT #1615 in a 20" 250 savage a good bullet choice for whitetail.

Yes. I've used it and can attest to it's effectiveness. It works!

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tested some 168gr Sierra HP bullets in wet newspsper years ago and found them prone to closing up the point and bending, Have never concidered a HP bullet from anyone again as a game bullet. Things might have got better. I have two boxes of 120gr Hornady HP's that a friend gave me. Been sitting on the shelf over ten years now.

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have shot a 250/3000 for years. the 90gr hpbt from sierra is an excellent bullet for eastern whitetails. in my experience with my rifle it is only slightly behind the 100gr partition from nosler.

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used that bullet for years to shoot whitetails from 1 in 14" twist Savage rifles, but after having some failures with it and its 85 grain .243" bore brother, I no longer use it, nor do I recommend that anyone use it. For a 1 in 14" twist rifles, the 87 grain Speer HotCore has become my deer shooting bullet of choice, while in 1 in 10" twist 250-3000s I prefer the 100 grain Partition.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to Sierra, the 257 90gr HPBT was designed as a varmint bullet.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did a little experiment and and cross-sectioned a few different 87-90gr .257 bullets a while back. The Sierra looked pretty good, maybe a little thin-jacketed near the front. The Hornady looks stoutest. I never settled on a bullet, but will probably go with whatever I can get to shoot best. Check the post out HERE.

Posts: 131 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote