New
Find
Notify
Tools

British Rook Rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello, everyone. I was wondering if anyone loads/shoots the little British Rook rifles?
Earlier this year I purchased a W.J. Jeffery .255 side lever. Has one standing (50yd) & two folding wide V, platnum line, brl. sights (100 & an optimistic 150 yd.). Plus, a factory installed Lyman folding tang sight. 26" brl. with full length matted rib. Removable front (dovetail parallel to bore) with very small neat ivory bead. Ex, bore.
Bore slugs right on .250" dia. 13 3/4" twist.
Made chamber cast..dimensions differ slightly from published ones (case neck longer) Cases are formed from Win. .25-20 brass. I faced .15" off face of RCBS neck-sizer die, re-cut chamfer & polished back up. Shoulder is pushed back about .100" & cases trimmed.
I cast up some Lyman 252435..this is for the .25ACP. drops at .252 with my fairly soft alloy. With that 13 3/4" twist I could probably use a heaver bullet, but all my other .25 moulds drop around .257". Still thinking of what powders? TrailBoss should work, perhaps 4759 or 4227? At any rate, all I am after is an accurate low pressure load that shoots to sights at 50yds. This is definatly in the fun-gun catagory!

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Could you post a photo? Sounds like a very interesting little rifle.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Cartridges of the world has a little info on the 255 Jeffery Rook. They mention a 65 grain bullet @ 1200fps for a factory load. I have a modified 25-20, in which I use 9 grains of 2400, and it groups nicely and is fairly light, FYI

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .255 Jeffery is rather rare, and so you have a real find there. I would start with about 3.0 grains of Red Dot or VV n340 and maybe go up to 4.0. Your bullet should be fine. Also look out for Wal Winfer and Tom Rowe's new book on Rook rifles. Welcome aboard!

Posts: 83 | Location: Olde England | Registered: 03 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might find some help at this forum.
http://britishmilitariaforums....nd-Cadet-Rifle-Forum

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote